Quantcast

Re: Can't run bitbake menuconfig Fedora 16

Re: Can't run bitbake menuconfig Fedora 16

braon moseley
Seemed associated with gnome-terminal not creating the window for menuconfig.

There was a thread somewhere about switching to Xterm, i tried this and it works.  from gnome terminal it spaws an xterm and opens up fine.

Also, it works if you load up kubuntu for what its worth.

Braon

On Fri, 2011-11-18 at 16:42 +0000, braon wrote:
Alex Gibson <alxx <at> alexthegeek.com> writes:

> Currently no work around other than not using gnome on fedora 16.
> Builds fine at home using xfce desktop

Trying to solve this same issue right now on ubuntu 11.10.

Anyone have a resolution?

Braon

Re: Can't run bitbake menuconfig Fedora 16

Gerardo Richarte-2
If this is the problem, it is also possible to run menuconfig on a text only terminal:

add a few lines to local.conf:

$ echo 'TERMCMD = "${SCREEN_TERMCMD}"' >> build/conf/local.conf
$ echo 'TERMCMDRUN = "${SCREEN_TERMCMDRUN}"' >> build/conf/local.conf
$ bitbake -c menuconfig virtual/kernel
from a different terminal, run

$ screen -r

to attach to the screen terminal where the menuconfig is running.

    that's it

On 11/28/2011 05:29 PM, braon moseley wrote:
Seemed associated with gnome-terminal not creating the window for menuconfig.

There was a thread somewhere about switching to Xterm, i tried this and it works.  from gnome terminal it spaws an xterm and opens up fine.

Also, it works if you load up kubuntu for what its worth.

Braon

On Fri, 2011-11-18 at 16:42 +0000, braon wrote:
Alex Gibson <alxx <at> alexthegeek.com> writes:

> Currently no work around other than not using gnome on fedora 16.
> Builds fine at home using xfce desktop

Trying to solve this same issue right now on ubuntu 11.10.

Anyone have a resolution?

Braon

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ All the data continuously generated in your IT infrastructure contains a definitive record of customers, application performance, security threats, fraudulent activity, and more. Splunk takes this data and makes sense of it. IT sense. And common sense. http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-novd2d

Re: Can't run bitbake menuconfig Fedora 16

Alex Gibson-3

Thanks guys!

installing xterm and running in that didn't work just gives the same
errors as before
(its not installed by default in fedora any more)

Even using xterm its still looking for some gnome-terminal packages.

Trying via screen and its working nicely.

Thank you

Alex

On 29/11/2011 11:29 AM, Gerardo Richarte wrote:

> If this is the problem, it is also possible to run menuconfig on a text
> only terminal:
>
> add a few lines to local.conf:
>
> $ echo 'TERMCMD = "${SCREEN_TERMCMD}"'>>  build/conf/local.conf
> $ echo 'TERMCMDRUN = "${SCREEN_TERMCMDRUN}"'>>  build/conf/local.conf
> $ bitbake -c menuconfig virtual/kernel
>
> from a different terminal, run
>
> $ screen -r
>

> to attach to the screen terminal where the menuconfig is running.
>
>      that's it
>
> On 11/28/2011 05:29 PM, braon moseley wrote:
>> Seemed associated with gnome-terminal not creating the window for
>> menuconfig.
>>
>> There was a thread somewhere about switching to Xterm, i tried this
>> and it works.  from gnome terminal it spaws an xterm and opens up fine.
>>
>> Also, it works if you load up kubuntu for what its worth.
>>
>> Braon

>>> Trying to solve this same issue right now on ubuntu 11.10.
>>>
>>> Anyone have a resolution?
>>>
>>> Braon

Re: Can't run bitbake menuconfig Fedora 16

JamesAng
Hi Alex,

Like you, I stupidly upgraded my 11.04 to 11.10 and this is another problem encountered with OE dev.
From AskUbuntu,

I added

TERMCMD = ${XTERM_TERMCMD}
TERMCMDRUN = ${XTERM_TERMCMDRUN}

to the end of my local.conf

and is able to get the menu screen again.

Please try.

Cheers~!

James.

On 30/11/2011 5:30 PM, James.Ang wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Like you, I stupidly upgraded my 11.04 to 11.10 and this is another problem
> encountered with OE dev.
>> From AskUbuntu,
>
> I added
>
> TERMCMD = ${XTERM_TERMCMD}
> TERMCMDRUN = ${XTERM_TERMCMDRUN}
>
> to the end of my local.conf
>
> and is able to get the menu screen again.
>
> Please try.
>
> Cheers~!
>
> James.

I did and I posted that it worked for me via screen in my earlier
message (or I thought I did).

It worked fine, using screen to connect to the menuconfig window.

Will try my custom images next week
as have undergrad thesis presentation tomorrow morning
(just polishing up my poster before printing and few slides to finish).
Taken 11 years part time so far (4 subjects to go next year).

Should have another two remote lab experiments up by the end of next week

This is what our omap experiment/rig for student use looks like
(current version)
http://www.alexthegeek.com/omap/overo/rig/1.png
http://www.alexthegeek.com/omap/overo/rig/2.png

looks a lot better than our old prototype shown at
http://www.labshare.edu.au/library/future_rigtypedetail/?id=16&version=1

Can see some of our other experiments/rigs
http://remotelabs.eng.uts.edu.au/labinfo

Alex

Re: Can't run bitbake menuconfig Fedora 16

Keane, Ben (STRX)
Hi Alex,

> This is what our omap experiment/rig for student use looks
> like (current version) http://www.alexthegeek.com/omap/overo/rig/1.png

In this picture you have a heat-sink on your MCU - did you add this yourself?  Where you experiencing temperature issues?  What Overo Com are you using?

Thanks,

Ben

PROPRIETARY: This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be legally privileged.  It is intended for the recipient only.  If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the authority by replying to this e-mail.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.

On 30/11/2011 5:59 PM, Keane, Ben (STRX) wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
>> This is what our omap experiment/rig for student use looks
>> like (current version) http://www.alexthegeek.com/omap/overo/rig/1.png
>
> In this picture you have a heat-sink on your MCU - did you add this yourself?  Where you experiencing temperature issues?  What Overo Com are you using?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben

Yes added it myself.

Its a heatsink from jaycar for ram.
Think its this one I'll have to check
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HH8580

Problem here is ambient air temps

Ambient air temps in
late spring vary from 25*C to 40*C (hit 38*C last week)
summer from 28 to 48*C+ (had 65*C air temp recorded in road side box)

even the office (air conditioned) is around 22 - 24*C most of the year
and the lab airconditioning is 22 to 27*C

Not experiancing heat problems in the lab
(except when the airconditioning fails).

Added the heatsinks for a different project(visitor monitoring/user
tracking) which was mounted outdoors in plastic instrument boxes some in
full sun, had to switch from fire to earth coms as the wifi was
overheating  and they weren't giving us enough range.

We borrowed the boards from that project
Just about to buy some waterstorm coms so can give the boards back.

The coms are overo earth, the expansion board we got made up.
Its just a simple breakout without level shifters.
Level shifters and wiring are hidden behind the front panel as well as
the mosfet board for 5v to 12V to drive the leds , motor and temperature
oven(metal box with fans,heater and temp sensors(lm355)).

Alex

Re: Can't run bitbake menuconfig Fedora 16

JamesAng
Alex Gibson-3 wrote
I did and I posted that it worked for me via screen in my earlier
message (or I thought I did).

It worked fine, using screen to connect to the menuconfig window.
Yup, saw your reply about using screen.

For me, it's just plain adding these statement to the local.conf and the normal bitbake will pop up a new terminal as normal.
No need for "screen -r". <BTW, I don't know what is that! (^^)">

Part of the older threads are gone from the Nabble forum too, thus missing pieces of the question asked.

Cheers~!

Good luck to your presentation!

James

Re: Can't run bitbake menuconfig Fedora 16

Alex Gibson-3

> Yup, saw your reply about using screen.
>
> For me, it's just plain adding these statement to the local.conf and the
> normal bitbake will pop up a new terminal as normal.
> No need for "screen -r". <BTW, I don't know what is that! (^^)&quot;>
>
> Part of the older threads are gone from the Nabble forum too, thus missing
> pieces of the question asked.
>
> Cheers~!
>
> Good luck to your presentation!
>
> James

Thanks I'll have to see if just adding those to local conf works.

screen lets you have many terminals in a single terminal window
(terminal multiplexer)
Its very good, bad and can be frustrating(key sequences)

http://www.gnu.org/s/screen/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Screen

Works as a remote terminal and is available on most platforms

e.g
sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-gnu_screen/index.html?ca=dgr-lnxw07GNU-Screen&S_TACT=105AGX59&S_CMP=grsitelnxw07

Alex