Quantcast

Ram missing?

joejacobs
Hey guys,

I have just installed debian on a micro sd card to run on my overo fire. I am pretty sure the overo fire has 512MB but when I check in debian it only finds 241505k of memory. Any ideas what happened to the other 256MB? I did notice that during the boot sequence two messages come up about failures loading /mount/ram and /var/volatile because the "mount points do not exist".

If it makes a difference I used this tutorial as a reference for creating the bootable debian install (http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Debian_Root_File_System). Only difference is I copied the kernels from one of sakomans gnome images so they are version 2.6.39 instead of 3.0.0

Joe

Re: Ram missing?

On 04/28/2012 09:37 AM, joejacobs wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I have just installed debian on a micro sd card to run on my overo fire. I
> am pretty sure the overo fire has 512MB but when I check in debian it only
> finds 241505k of memory. Any ideas what happened to the other 256MB? I did
> notice that during the boot sequence two messages come up about failures
> exist".
>
> If it makes a difference I used this tutorial as a reference for creating
> the bootable debian install
> (http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Debian_Root_File_System). Only
> difference is I copied the kernels from one of sakomans gnome images so they
> are version 2.6.39 instead of 3.0.0
>
> Joe

I believe the older fire's had only 256 so that could be why, unless you
confirmed it has the full 512 in a demo image and yours does not.

Re: Ram missing?

joejacobs
This is the output from the function:

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs                3.6G  1.6G  1.8G  48% /
tmpfs                 118M     0  118M   0% /lib/init/rw
udev                   10M  156K  9.9M   2% /dev
tmpfs                 118M  4.0K  118M   1% /dev/shm

Thanks for the help nikkadim! Much appreciated.

Joe

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM, joejacobs <<a href="x-msg://155/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4941463&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey guys,

I have just installed debian on a micro sd card to run on my overo fire. I
am pretty sure the overo fire has 512MB but when I check in debian it only
finds 241505k of memory. Any ideas what happened to the other 256MB? I did
notice that during the boot sequence two messages come up about failures
exist".

If it makes a difference I used this tutorial as a reference for creating
the bootable debian install
(http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Debian_Root_File_System). Only
difference is I copied the kernels from one of sakomans gnome images so they
are version 2.6.39 instead of 3.0.0

Joe

http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Ram-missing-tp4936829p4941463.html
To unsubscribe from Ram missing?, click here.

Re: Ram missing?

nikkadim
Hm.. are you sure that you have 512M on board?
Check this: "cat /proc/meminfo |more"
--
Николай

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 2:16 PM, joejacobs <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

That says I have 241504kB of memory. Guess that must mean I have an older board??

Joe

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Joseph Jacobs <<a href="<a href="x-msg://155/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;amp;node=4941463&amp;amp;i=0">x-msg://155/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4941463&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM, joejacobs <<a href="<a href="x-msg://155/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;amp;node=4941463&amp;amp;i=1">x-msg://155/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4941463&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]> wrote:

http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Ram-missing-tp4936829p4941682.html
To unsubscribe from Ram missing?, click here.

Re: Ram missing?

Steve Sakoman
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:51 AM, joejacobs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That says I have 241504kB of memory. Guess that must mean I have an older
> board??

Look at the u-boot output, it tells you how much ram/nand are installed:

U-Boot 2011.12-00017-gb48a523-dirty (Apr 20 2012 - 07:13:31)

OMAP3630/3730-GP ES1.2, CPU-OPP2, L3-165MHz, Max CPU Clock 1 Ghz
Gumstix Overo board + LPDDR/NAND
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  512 MiB
NAND:  512 MiB

And of course it goes without saying that you should be using the most
recent mlo/u-boot!

Steve