Quantcast

RPM Package Management

JamesAng
Hi,

Happy New Year~! (^^,)

Using new image built using YoctoProject,
what is the rpm equivalent command to "opkg update"? If any.

Where is the new feeds URLs where we can search for/update packages without having to rebuild a new image.

Thanks.

James Ang

Re: RPM Package Management

Michael Lindemuth
I don't think there is one.  I've just been doing the following:

bitbake <package-name>
scp yocto/build/tmp/deploy/rpm/armv7a-vfp-neon/<package-name>.rpm root@<gumstix-host>:/home/root

Re: RPM Package Management

JamesAng
Michael Lindemuth wrote
I don't think there is one.  I've just been doing the following:

bitbake <package-name>
scp yocto/build/tmp/deploy/rpm/armv7a-vfp-neon/<package-name>.rpm root@<gumstix-host>:/home/root
This is what I though so too
For those using RPM in full-fledged distro, how is it managed then?? i.e. Redhat, Fedora etc..

Re: RPM Package Management

Sertaç Olgunsoylu
I am not using a distro with an RPM package manager but I am sure RPM supports feed like package indexing. It is one the basic features of package managers. However, the problem is we don't have - I suppose - a repository with up-to-date rpm packages for Gumstix. So there is no reason fedora people are not doing good with their package manager :)

The first thing I'd try is to change default packaging format to ipk within Poky so as to have opkg as your default package manager. Then you could try using `opkg update` but I feel like it would give lots of version dependency mismatch errors.
I am just throwing ideas keep that in mind :)

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 4:04 AM, JamesAng <[hidden email]> wrote:
Michael Lindemuth wrote
> I don't think there is one.  I've just been doing the following:
>
> bitbake
> <package-name>
> scp yocto/build/tmp/deploy/rpm/armv7a-vfp-neon/
> <package-name>
> .rpm root@
> <gumstix-host>
> :/home/root

This is what I though so too
For those using RPM in full-fledged distro, how is it managed then?? i.e.
Redhat, Fedora etc..

Re: RPM Package Management

Steve Sakoman
My images include the zypper utility for managing rpms.  I suspect
that the Gumstix images also use this.

Steve

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 7:20 AM, Sertac Olgunsoylu
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am not using a distro with an RPM package manager but I am sure RPM
> supports feed like package indexing. It is one the basic features of package
> managers. However, the problem is we don't have - I suppose - a repository
> with up-to-date rpm packages for Gumstix. So there is no reason fedora
> people are not doing good with their package manager :)
>
> The first thing I'd try is to change default packaging format to ipk within
> Poky so as to have opkg as your default package manager. Then you could try
> using `opkg update` but I feel like it would give lots of version dependency
> mismatch errors.
> I am just throwing ideas keep that in mind :)
>

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 4:04 AM, JamesAng <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Michael Lindemuth wrote
>> > I don't think there is one.  I've just been doing the following:
>> >
>> > bitbake
>> > <package-name>
>> > scp yocto/build/tmp/deploy/rpm/armv7a-vfp-neon/
>> > <package-name>
>> > .rpm root@
>> > <gumstix-host>
>> > :/home/root
>>
>> This is what I though so too
>> For those using RPM in full-fledged distro, how is it managed then?? i.e.
>> Redhat, Fedora etc..

Re: RPM Package Management

david moffatt
Here is a suggestion:

One of the configuration nobs you can tweak in the yacto build system is what intermediate package system to use.   Debian is one of the choices.   If the gumstix guys had a repo of prebuilt, top of tree, package repository out on the internet somewhere then it would increase our velocity by 10x.

There are configurations you can use with debian to cut down on the gross space wastefulness that debian is famous for.   Also debian has the nice little utility called "debootstrap" that lets you build an ARM rootfs on your PC without having to mess with cross compile environments.   For an earlier gumstix project here is how I built my rootfs :

sudo debootstrap --verbose --foreign --arch=armel --variant=minbase --no-check-certificate --include=module-init-\
tools,locales,udev,aptitude,dialog,ifupdown,procps,iproute,iputils-ping,pump,nano,wget,netbase,vim,subversion,git,wireless-\
tools,dnsutils,net-tools,wpasupplicant,openssh-server,openssh-client,libsdl-image1.2-dev,libsdl1.2-dev,libsdl-ttf2.0-0,libsdl-\
mixer1.2,libsdl-net1.2,libsdl1.2debian,libsdl1.2debian-alsa,make,gcc,ntpdate,i2c-tools,git-core,build-essential,python,psmisc,\
imagemagick,curl  squeeze rootfs http://ftp.debian.org/debian

That was it, tar it up and stick it on the root partition in an SD card and you had a working system. I would love it
If I could do something like this with the current top-o-tree stuff that we are all using right now.

Re: RPM Package Management

James Linder

On 10/01/2013, at 12:24 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

>> I don't think there is one.  I've just been doing the following:
>>
>> bitbake
>> <package-name>
>> scp yocto/build/tmp/deploy/rpm/armv7a-vfp-neon/
>> <package-name>
>> .rpm root@
>> <gumstix-host>
>> :/home/root
>
> This is what I though so too
> For those using RPM in full-fledged distro, how is it managed then?? i.e.
> Redhat, Fedora etc..

I don't want to wade into the war zone ... it's quite nice

Someone can install what you've done and build it:

rpm -ivh blabla.rpm.src

build it

rpmbuild /usr/src/system/SPECS/blabla.spec

make your own spec and source tarball together with patches
do quite a lot with the spec file from 'just using make' to really complex stuff

my spec files are perhaps 25 lines the spec for say fedora kernel xx is 100s maybe 1000s lines long

manage what is installed

rpm -qa # queries everything installed
rpm -e blabla # removes it
rpm -apl blabla # tells me what is in uninstalled blabla
rpm -qpi # tells me all about uninstalled blabla

alltogether quite nice especially from the build/fiddle/break/redo environment
I find it nicer and easier than the dpkg suite

SuSEs build service shows howto for creating a complete distribution, but I've not used SuSE or yocto enough to comment
I do think yocto et al are hard/complex and somewhat in determinate eg I guarantee that THIS works is whoa-not-so-fast

James

Re: RPM Package Management

JamesAng
Steve Sakoman wrote
My images include the zypper utility for managing rpms.  I suspect
that the Gumstix images also use this.

Steve
I'm already thinking of adding YUM to the image; as used in Fedora or switching back to IPK and redo the entire image again.

James Ang.