Quantcast

Purchase of GumStix for Hobby Use

Pete Stephens
Guys and Gals,

I am considering a purchase of the equipment listed below for hobby purposes.  I would like to get your opinion on the compatibility of the following components,

1 x Palo35
1 x Overo® IronSTORM COM
1 x Caspa™ FS
1 x 8GB Angstrom System Card
1 x LG 3.5 inch LCD touch screen

I believe that they are all compatible based on the GumStix website, but appreciate your inputs.

I am also concerned about the camera choice.  I wanted the most flexibility, but I know nothing about cameras.  I don't really care about picture quality, but I think this camera will give me the most 'fun' as I work with it.

What else would you suggest? Proper power supply?  I have lot's of USB cables and adapters.  What other considerations?

Peter A. Stephens
[hidden email]
--------------------------------------
Some scientists claim that hydrogen,
because it is so plentiful, is the basic
building block of the universe.  I dispute that,
I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen,
and that is the basic building block of the
universe.

 - Frank Zappa

Re: Purchase of GumStix for Hobby Use

Scott Ellis
If this is your first board, I'd suggest a chestnut43 because it has ethernet. This means a 4.3 lcd instead of the 3.5 inch.
I know the COM you chose has WIFI, but I think you'll find ethernet very useful during development.

Re: Purchase of GumStix for Hobby Use

Mark Zieg
I did my first project with the Chestnut43, and agree the Ethernet was useful. However, I'm doing my 2nd on the Palo35, and was surprised and gratified at how easy it was to get wifi running. (Well, from the cmd-line anyway...the GUI NetworkManager dialog boxes are too big to navigate on the 320x200 LCD).

You will absolutely need a std-A to mini-B USB cable for console access, and you'll need a *powered* USB hub if you want to hook up an external keyboard or mouse, and you'll probably want one of those little std-A (F) to mini-A (M) adapters Gumstix sells, so you can use the OTG port.

I had a couple tiny issues getting the OpenEmbedded BitBake recipes building a few weeks ago, but I took careful notes and can share if you have issues.

Good luck!

Mark

On Aug 18, 2012, at 4:36 AM, "jumpnowdev" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If this is your first board, I'd suggest a chestnut43 because it has
> ethernet. This means a 4.3 lcd instead of the 3.5 inch.
> I know the COM you chose has WIFI, but I think you'll find ethernet very
> useful during development.

copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in
incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.

Re: Purchase of GumStix for Hobby Use

mwynne
I inherited a project that came with a Palo35 and a Overo Fire COM. The serial port works well and requires a mini-B ended USB cable. One thing I noticed fairly quickly is that this board (or at least my revision) gets REALLY hot. I thought I had fried something, but no, I'm told that's normal and everything works just fine.

I don't use an AC power adaptor. My application requires that this device be powered in a vehicle, so I bought a cigarette lighter USB power adaptor and an Adaptaplug socket with an 'A' tip and then soldered the socket onto an old USB cable I had. This works well because USB is everywhere.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3807941
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3807936

Ultimately my project is moving to a Pinto-TH board. Once WiFi is going it works great, but if I screw up the WiFi while developing on the Pinto I fall back to the Palo35 to repair it via the serial console.

As far as the MicroSD system card goes, I probably wouldn't do it, given that one can buy an 8GB MicroSD card for under $10. Using OpenEmbedded/Bitbake one can build an optimised Angstrom SD image. Yes, it takes a little effort to get OpenEmbedded set up, but totally worth it, IMHO. One can also use Angstrom Narcissus to build an image for the Overo.

http://narcissus.angstrom-distribution.org/

Having said all that, if you are a complete beginner, you can buy the Angstrom System Card to get up and running very quickly. But then I like a bit of a challenge myself.

Whatever you do, have fun. I really enjoy working with Overo COM's :-)

Michael S. Wynne

Re: Purchase of GumStix for Hobby Use

Edward Diaz
I got a tobi board that has ethernet, hdmi, usb and audio.  I would get the dc supply and not the sd card. Look into the sakoman image (www.sakoman.com) , you can put the sakoman image on any sdcard with one script.  Good luck.

Thanks,
Edward