Quantcast

Problems with DLP Pico Projector Kit

Michael Fadden
Hello All,

I recently purchased some gumstix equipment (an Overo Fire COM and Tobi
expansion board) and a Texas Instruments DLP Pico Projector Development
kit, which I had hoped to use as a display.  After a great deal of
searching for the correct frame buffer configuration all I've managed to
accomplish was to cause the screen to flicker with horizontal bars.
I've tried every DVI setup that has been claimed to work, and plenty
that haven't, so I can only conclude I'm doing something else wrong.
Below is my current boot environment, and I am using the Angstrom
2010.7-test-20110309 overo ttyS2 version.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Fadden

Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.4.4ss (Mar 25 2011 - 15:35:41)
OMAP3530-GP ES3.1
Board revision: 0
Reading boot sector

U-Boot 2010.09 (Mar 25 2011 - 15:02:51)

OMAP3530-GP ES3.1, CPU-OPP2, L3-165MHz, Max CPU Clock 720 mHz
Gumstix Overo board + LPDDR/NAND
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  256 MiB
NAND:  256 MiB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Board revision: 0
Tranceiver detected on mmc2
No EEPROM on expansion board
Die ID #569a0004000000000403990c0b00700c
Net:   smc911x: Invalid chip endian 0xfbfbfbfb
No ethernet found.
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
Overo # pri
bootcmd=if mmc init; then if run loadbootscript; then run bootscript;
else if run loaduimage; then run mmcboot; else run nandboot; fi; fi;
else run nandboot; fi
bootdelay=5
baudrate=115200
loadaddr=0x82000000
console=ttyS2,115200n8
mpurate=500
vram=12M
defaultdisplay=dvi
mmcroot=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw
mmcrootfstype=ext3 rootwait
nandroot=/dev/mtdblock4 rw
nandrootfstype=jffs2
mmcargs=setenv bootargs console=${console} mpurate=${mpurate}
vram=${vram} omapfb.mode=dvi:${dvimode} omapfb.debug=y
omapdss.def_disp=${defaultdisplay} root=${mmcroot}
rootfstype=${mmcrootfstype}
nandargs=setenv bootargs console=${console} mpurate=${mpurate}
vram=${vram} omapfb.mode=dvi:${dvimode} omapfb.debug=y
omapdss.def_disp=${defaultdisplay} root=${nandroot}
rootfstype=${nandrootfstype}
loadbootscript=fatload mmc 0 ${loadaddr} boot.scr
bootscript=echo Running bootscript from mmc ...; source ${loadaddr}
loaduimage=fatload mmc 0 ${loadaddr} uImage
mmcboot=echo Booting from mmc ...; run mmcargs; bootm ${loadaddr}
nandboot=echo Booting from nand ...; run nandargs; nand read ${loadaddr}
280000 400000; bootm ${loadaddr}
dieid#=569a0004000000000403990c0b00700c
dvimode=640x480MR-24@60
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial

Environment size: 1208/131068 bytes

Re: Problems with DLP Pico Projector Kit

joejacobs
Hey Mike,

I know this is an old post but I was wondering if you managed to solve this? I am having the exact same
problem with an Optoma PK301 pico projector.

Cheers,
Joe
gzp

Re: Problems with DLP Pico Projector Kit

gzp
Hello

I'm planning to purchase some pico projector for a simmilar config (tobi + fire). Have you managed to solve the problem ?
I'm interested b/c if it is not stable to some degree I'll have to chose some other alternatives.

Thanks.
Gzp

Re: Problems with DLP Pico Projector Kit

Peter Buelow
On 12/07/2011 10:44 AM, gzp wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm planning to purchase some pico projector for a simmilar config (tobi +
> fire). Have you managed to solve the problem ?
> I'm interested b/c if it is not stable to some degree I'll have to chose
> some other alternatives.
>
> Thanks.
> Gzp

This may not help a whole lot, but I don't have an image I can boot
right now to confirm. However, I have the TI pico projector, and it
worked just fine using a stock gnome image, and booting straight to
console. I think the trick is to let X or the kernel framebuffer figure
the connection details out, as I remember the stock details from TI in
fact don't work.

If I have a chance, I can see if I still have the image I used with it,
but it's unlikely as that was more than a year ago.

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Re: Problems with DLP Pico Projector Kit

joejacobs
Has anyone had any luck getting a piko projector working? I haven't had any luck with mine. I have tried reflashing the board but even that didn't work.

Joe