Quantcast

Pinto-TH with OVERO IronSTORM COM - How do we get video from this thing?

12
pg

Pinto-TH with OVERO IronSTORM COM - How do we get video from this thing?

pg
Hi everybody,

We ordered a Gumstix IronSTORM COM and a Pinto-TH board recently, and I have a few questions.

The first one: how do we get video from these things? Is the Pinto-TH board capable of displaying video? I know you can buy a board with an LCD display preinstalled, but they are too big for our use.

Second: Do any of these products listed have a touch screen controller? If we wanted to hook up a touch screen, what additional hardware is required?

Thanks.

Re: Pinto-TH with OVERO IronSTORM COM - How do we get video from this thing?

Daniel Packard
Hi Peter,

A summit expansion board is the smallest board with HDMI out. This allows you to connect the gumstix to a full-sized monitor.

The smallest expansion board with built-in support for a touchscreen is the Palo35 expansion board, which supports a 3.5" LCD touchscreen.

If you don't require a monitor/touchscreen in the end product, you might consider trying to view the video over a network connection (e.g. using gstreamer). There are good instructions for this by Scott Ellis over at JumpNowTek.com, but I think they'll need some modification for the new processors on the Overo IronSTORM COMs (maybe a different set of TI_cgt for the new DSP)

/daniel
Loveland CO 80537

pg

Re: Pinto-TH with OVERO IronSTORM COM - How do we get video from this thing?

pg
Thank you for your response.

Is the Pinto-TH capable of video out? Can I display video via USB port?

Thanks.

Re: Pinto-TH with OVERO IronSTORM COM - How do we get video from this thing?

James Linder

On 07/03/2012, at 2:13 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> We ordered a Gumstix IronSTORM COM and a Pinto-TH board recently, and I have a few questions.
>
> The first one: how do we get video from these things? Is the Pinto-TH board capable of displaying video? I know you can buy a board with an LCD display preinstalled, but they are too big for our use.
>
> Second: Do any of these products listed have a touch screen controller? If we wanted to hook up a touch screen, what additional hardware is required?

Of course you can go your own way ... maxim make a controller, tshark, and using that with usb works well
James
pg

Re: Pinto-TH with OVERO IronSTORM COM - How do we get video from this thing?

pg
I'm afraid I am not sure what you mean by maxim and tshark.

What about the J5 connector? It says 27-pin something connection. Would I be able to hook up a display to that and use that as the display connector?

On 13/03/2012, at 2:23 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I'm afraid I am not sure what you mean by maxim and tshark.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=maxim+tsharc&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Lots of links, we did 1 with hampshire controller that worked as USB serial. That and the HDMI on summit made a 15" touch that worked well. I did the work for a company (contract) and no longer have all the detail. If you want to go that way mail me and I'll dig out the changes that I did to the (linux standard) hampshire touch controller. They are (by force) GPL so no matter what the company has to say so you may have them.

That was the answer to the tshark stuff I posted a while ago. In terms of your subject I guess the answer is 'not with Pinto'
Choose ssh or another IO card eg summit or have tty only with the console USB port ...

James
pg

Re: Pinto-TH with OVERO IronSTORM COM - How do we get video from this thing?

pg
Ok everyone, I am really confused.

I have a Gumstix IronSTORM COM and an Pinto-TH board. I want a 2.5" touch screen attached to the Gumstix, and the current expansion boards are too big (3.5" and 4.3"). I do not want to make a board myself for various reasons. So what should I do?

Thanks.

Re: Pinto-TH with OVERO IronSTORM COM - How do we get video from this thing?

Daniel Packard
From Gumstix, only the Palo and Chestnut expansion boards (3.5" and 4.3") support a touchscreen. If these don't suit your project, I'm afraid the only option would be to design a custom expansion board.

I suggest settling for a 3.5" touchscreen.

/daniel packard
RoadNarrows LLC
http://roadnarrows.com

pg

Re: Pinto-TH with OVERO IronSTORM COM - How do we get video from this thing?

pg
Thank you for your direct answer.

Is the Gumstix capable of video out via USB?

On 14/03/2012, at 8:08 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Ok everyone, I am really confused.
>
> I have a Gumstix IronSTORM COM and an Pinto-TH board. I want a 2.5" touch
> screen attached to the Gumstix, and the current expansion boards are too big
> (3.5" and 4.3"). I do not want to make a board myself for various reasons.
> So what should I do?

OK I'm not actually being rude, it just sounds it ...
Forget it you can't.

Well you *could* design build test and create a suitable interface. Gumstix could realistically splash the resources to achieve this, my guess is that you can't in any event very hard.
Moi I'd undo an android phone and use the screen/touch being 1/2 way to a solution, but again realistically you can't. Umm is there any kinder or gentler way of saying  'you can't.

ciao (trying to say best of luck)
James

Uboot display of logo

Keane, Ben (STRX)
Hi,

Because I am hoping I can be lazy ;)

Has anyone patched uboot to display a bmp on the overo - 4.3" screen?  I found from the archieves http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Overo-boot-and-start-up-questions-td655241.html but I was hoping someone might have done it already and wanted to share?

Kind Regards,

Ben

PROPRIETARY: This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be legally privileged.  It is intended for the recipient only.  If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the authority by replying to this e-mail.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.

Uboot Documentation

Dan Nelson
>From the Denx U-boot documentation:

"Please note that U-Boot is highly configurable, so not all of these
commands may be available in the configuration of U-Boot installed on
your hardware, or additional commands may exist."

Yes, very true.

Is there any up-to-date Gumstix documentation for U-boot?

Dan

Re: Uboot Documentation

Keane, Ben (STRX)

pg

Re: Pinto-TH with OVERO IronSTORM COM - How do we get video from this thing?

pg
Alright,

Since I am probably annoying EVERYONE on this mailing list, I am going to ask one final question and be on my way.

Let's assume I had a display with a mini-USB connector. If I plug that display into the Pinto-TH board, would the gumstix be capable of displaying video out via USB?

Question, shorter version: Does the gumstix/Pinto-TH have the ability to display video via USB?

Thank you all.

Re: Pinto-TH with OVERO IronSTORM COM - How do we get video from this thing?

Greg Kogut
I am not aware of any displays which natively accept video over USB.    If there were such a thing you'd (I think) have to develop your own software on the gumstix to implement whatever video-over-USB protocol it used.   It might be technically possible, but would almost certainly involve significant work.

There are 3rd-party USB->DVI converters, but they're bulky in off-the-shelf format, and I have no idea of their linux support.

Greg

Re: Pinto-TH with OVERO IronSTORM COM - How do we get video from this thing?

Daniel Packard
I'm with Greg,  I don't know of any way to stream video directly to a display via USB.

You could certainly send video to _another computer_ using gstreamer if you enabled Ethernet over USB, but I guess that's not what you'd really like to do.

I hope you're able to find a solution that works for you! If it's a prototype, maybe you can get away with a 3.5" touchscreen...

/daniel
RoadNarrows LLC
http://roadnarrows.com

pg

Re: Pinto-TH with OVERO IronSTORM COM - How do we get video from this thing?

pg
There is a way, in the respect that displays powered via USB exist. However, my understanding is that Gumstix allows for such a thing (e.g doesn't block USB displays).

Thanks for your help everyone.

Sent from my  iPhone 4

Since I am probably annoying EVERYONE on this mailing list, I am going to
ask one final question and be on my way.

Let's assume I had a display with a mini-USB connector. If I plug that
display into the Pinto-TH board, would the gumstix be capable of displaying
video out via USB?

Question, shorter version: Does the gumstix/Pinto-TH have the ability to
display video via USB?

Thank you all.

http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Pinto-TH-with-OVERO-IronSTORM-COM-How-do-we-get-video-from-this-thing-tp4551917p4579302.html
To unsubscribe from Pinto-TH with OVERO IronSTORM COM - How do we get video from this thing?, click here.

Re: Uboot Documentation

Dan Nelson
Thanks Ben.  The help is bit sparse though.

Dan

digital_wiz
I'll go so far as to say that "Uboot documentation" is almost an oxymoron.  Yes, there's a "manual" at denx.de, but it's a little light on explanations.

On 15/03/2012, at 1:49 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Since I am probably annoying EVERYONE on this mailing list, I am going to
> ask one final question and be on my way.
>
> Let's assume I had a display with a mini-USB connector. If I plug that
> display into the Pinto-TH board, would the gumstix be capable of displaying
> video out via USB?
>
> Question, shorter version: Does the gumstix/Pinto-TH have the ability to
> display video via USB?

'Course I speak only for my self, but I find your problem and talk about it and solutions of interest and not irritating.

This system is linux, so all the answers are linux related.
I'm not aware of ant Xorg USB display stuff, although I can't see why it could not be done. A custom USB display is very non trivial, but search around to see if any work has been done
eg
http://blog.mitechie.com/2011/11/07/mutli-monitor-on-the-go-displaylink-usb-monitor/

Cheers
James