Quantcast

Pepper 43R Question

marmaduke
Hello

Have recently purchased the Pepper and after trying several images gave in and bought the Yocto image from the Gumstix store. However I now believe I may have a dead card. Upon applying power all I can see is the two green lights on the ethernet port, and there is no cable plugged in to it.  I see no indications that the board is booting or any leds lit.  Could anyone with a pepper help with what I may be doing wrong or do I have a bad card. Thanks to all.

Cheers, Michael

Re: Pepper 43R Question

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Michael,

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.  Could you tell me the PCB9000..XXXvYY numbers on the back of the board?  Has the board always acted like this?  Does it change when you try a different software image?  How were/are you powering the board?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Pepper 43R Question

marmaduke
Andrew

I am using this on the Create2, and still troubleshooting the problem with Part 3 of the tutorial. But in the meantime just trying to get the board to boot with Yocto to add ROS. The PCB is PCB900000000246v3. Am sure it is getting power but not sure what else to check. I did notice and different image on the Catalina page USD30005-R1.8. But thought for sure the image I received yesterday would be a fix. Please any help would be great, have to ship it back and wait for a replacement.

Cheers, Michael

Re: Pepper 43R Question

marmaduke
Andrew

Just curious if the .dtb file is wrong. On the reference above it points out the following file -

DTB for Pepper 43R-R3 (BRD900000000246) Yocto 1.8

Unless I am wrong and the power led is hard wired it may need the led defined and am wondering if this is a new run and needs to be updated. Just curious.  Thanks.

Cheers, Michael

Re: Pepper 43R Question

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Michael,

How are you trying to power it?  You're using getting power from the Create2?  It's being plugged into the battery connector?  I ask because the GREEN power LED (not on the ethernet port) should be illuminated if power is applied.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Pepper 43R Question

marmaduke
Andrew

I am supply power through the IRobot Create 2 Cable and have confirmed power. But I do not see any other leds lit. I am assuming the one your are speaking of is the one marked as power. Than you.

Cheers, Michael

Re: Pepper 43R Question

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Michael,

Can you please check the voltage on the 20pin header?  There's a 3.3V and 5.0V pin, can you check the voltage on those two pins and let me know what you get?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Pepper 43R Question

marmaduke
Andrew

Confirmed 5.10 and 3.28 on the header pins. Thanks.

Cheers, Michael

Re: Pepper 43R Question

marmaduke
Andrew

Went a little further, seems I am getting voltage to the green led for power. However, stuck to go further because from what I can tell if I have the correct schematic it is looking for a signal from U16 'PMIC_PGOOD' . Not having much luck on where the enable is coming from "PMIC_PWR_EN.

Cheers, Michael

Re: Pepper 43R Question

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Michael,

So you've probed around the LED and found 3.3V but the LED is off (i.e. PMIC_GOOD is low)?

Andrew

Re: Pepper 43R Question

marmaduke
Andrew

Correct. So to go further may be difficult since if correct the processor should be supplying the power enable with a high signal, if I can assume this is all going to the TPS65217 to control the power led. So are we looking at a bad processor assuming on power up the signal goes high or something else amiss, have to admit your getting into an area where these retired eyes may become an issue. Thanks again and look forward to your advice.

Cheers, Michael

Re: Pepper 43R Question

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Michael,

Nope, no need to probe further.  If the LED is off and the power around it is good it means it's a hardware issue.  The power LED should light up even if there's no uSD card in the slot.  I think the board needs to be replaced.  Send me a message/email off-forum and we'll figure out what to do next.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Pepper 43R Question

marmaduke
Andrew

Email sent. I thank you very much for sticking with me, sorry we could not get it fixed. Will go back to trying to figure out the tutorial for now and see how that can be fixed if possible. Thanks again.

Cheers, Michael