Quantcast

Overo boot and start up questions

bk.

Overo boot and start up questions

bk.
Hi,

I am looking to change some things about the boot process on my device.  Right now I'm using an Overo on the Palo43, with the omap3-console-image.

1.  Is it possible to shorten the "Hit any key to stop autoboot" countdown?

2.  Right now, the screen is black while starting up.  I would prefer a picture (splash screen?) to be displayed.  I've been having difficulty finding information about this.  There are a lot of instructions on how to patch the verdex to change the screen on start up, but I don't even have an image being displayed at all.  Is it possible to add one?

Thank you for your time.

bk.

Re: Overo boot and start up questions

horsedorf
I beleive U-boot can be configured to not count down at all. Not EXACTLY sure how, but I'm pretty sure it can be done.

On the issue of having a spalsh screen, I'm not sure about that one. I THINK it can, but I have not done so myself.  I have, however, with uboot on other products, been able to get a splash screen up.   I'm trying to remember how we did that, but sadly, it's not coming to me. It was some program taht was run very very early on in order to put a splash screen up, but I can't recall the details, sorry.

Rick

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 2:51 PM, bk. <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I am looking to change some things about the boot process on my device.
Right now I'm using an Overo on the Palo43, with the omap3-console-image.

1.  Is it possible to shorten the "Hit any key to stop autoboot" countdown?

2.  Right now, the screen is black while starting up.  I would prefer a
picture (splash screen?) to be displayed.  I've been having difficulty
finding information about this.  There are a lot of instructions on how to
patch the verdex to change the screen on start up, but I don't even have an
image being displayed at all.  Is it possible to add one?

Thank you for your time.

bk.

Say you can or say you can't, either way you will be right.
Computers are like old testament gods: Lots of rules and no mercy.

Re: Overo boot and start up questions

Søren Steen Christensen

> I am looking to change some things about the boot process on my device.
> Right now I'm using an Overo on the Palo43, with the omap3-console-image.

1.  Is it possible to shorten the "Hit any key to stop autoboot" countdown?

> 2.  Right now, the screen is black while starting up.  I would prefer a
> picture (splash screen?) to be displayed.  I've been having difficulty
> finding information about this. Is it possible to add one?

Hi bk,

1) You can make U-boot skip the count-down by setting “bootdelay=0” in the U-boot environment.

Just interrupt the boot process and write:

setenv bootdelay 0 <enter>

saveenv<enter>

However take care – I haven’t found any way to halt U-boot when this is set to 0. You might therefore consider setting it to 1 in order to speed up things, but still keep the possibility of interrupting the booting process. J

2) The splash screen method in OMAP3 u-boot is still very hardcoded – Though working J. You can find the code for Beagleboard (which can be modified to fit Overo) at:  http://groups.google.com/group/beagleboard/browse_thread/thread/3ad9b803a3418624. Look for the u-boot_v1_beagle_logo.patch.bz2 file at the end of the page.

Best regards – Good luck

  Søren

---

SSC Solutions ApS - Denmark - www.ssc-solutions.dk

Re: Overo boot and start up questions

imato
Hi Soren,

you mentioned the logo needs to be modified by hardcode. Does that mean we need to change the .c recipes file? if it does, which file is related to the logo screen?

Re: Overo boot and start up questions

imato
I found a blogger which illustrates the way to add logo image for Gumstix Overo COM.
I followed the steps, and I got my own logo added
Here is the link:
http://oestudyard.blogspot.co.nz/2012/04/change-gumstix-overo-booting-screen.html