Quantcast

Overo Yocto Serial Getty having trouble starting

Overo Yocto Serial Getty having trouble starting

Ryan
I have a Yocto build running on an Overo Air, and I'm having weird problems with the serial getty service. Sometimes when I boot the Gumstix, the serial getty service just keeps starting and stopping over and over again until it eventually stays started and prints the login prompt. Other times it stays started the first time and prints the login prompt right away. I haven't been able to figure out the cause of this as it seems to happen randomly. It is also not consistent how many times the service stops and starts until it finally works. It seems to happen more often when the serial getty service is started towards the end of the boot, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem. Has anyone had similar issues with the serial getty service?

This is the end of the systemd output (it started and stopped many more times than shown here):

Starting Serial Getty on ttyO2...
Started Serial Getty on ttyO2                                          [  OK  ]
Stopping Serial Getty on ttyO2...
Starting Serial Getty on ttyO2...
Started Serial Getty on ttyO2                                          [  OK  ]
Stopping Serial Getty on ttyO2...
Starting Serial Getty on ttyO2...
Started Serial Getty on ttyO2                                          [  OK  ]

Yocto (Built by Poky 7.0.1) 1.2.1
 ttyO2

overo login:

Re: Overo Yocto Serial Getty having trouble starting

srinath
I am having similar problems. I used the following build

I am following the steps for establishing a serial connection via kermit as outlined her
I power on the board in step-5 and i get no boot messages nothing.

Some leds on the gumstix and the tobi are flashing though

]
Stopping Serial Getty on ttyO2...
Starting Serial Getty on ttyO2...
Started Serial Getty on ttyO2                                          [  OK
]
Stopping Serial Getty on ttyO2...
Starting Serial Getty on ttyO2...
Started Serial Getty on ttyO2                                          [  OK
]

Yocto (Built by Poky 7.0.1) 1.2.1
 ttyO2

overo login:

Re: Overo Yocto Serial Getty having trouble starting

srinath
Update-

Changed serial cable. Was using a cheap 1$ cable.
Works now.
Able to login as root

Rob

I'm having exactly the same problem and I don't think it's cord related.

Re: Overo Yocto Serial Getty having trouble starting

Ryan
Thanks for the replies. My problem is actually different than what srinath mentioned. The output I posted above is from the serial console, but the problem is that the getty service keeps restarting, so the login prompt is delayed until the service stays started. The actual output from the serial console is working fine.