Quantcast

Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

123

Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

Blaine Booher
Hi everyone. I'll keep it quick. Unlike most overo issues, when my wifi is working it works fine (I think). I can ping google and for now that's all that matters.

I can see the little blue LED on my board. When I connect to an access point successfully, it flashes and then stays on. After 2-3 minutes it turns off, and I have no network connectivity even though it think I do (with iwconfig, etc.). No dmesg statement, nothin'. I have to bring it down, bring it back up, and do the "iwconfig wlan0 essid on" to get it back up. Light comes back on and I'm good to go.

If I hold a ping command like "ping google.com" there are no problems and it will stay on continuously until 2-3 minutes after stopping the ping.

I remember that the LCD display has a power saving mode that we never figured out how to disable. Is this related? All I want is stable wifi that doesn't turn off. I can't figure out what is causing this behavior. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Blaine

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Re: Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

Blaine Booher
Actually I do have one other incredibly frustrating problem. The following works as defined by "the blue wifi LED stays on":
iwconfig wlan0 essid any

But half the time it picks the wrong network. I can't force it to pick our network for the life of me
iwconfig wlan0 essid myhomenet

never works. Flashes the blue LED but then it ends up staying off.

When the first command randomly picks our network, everything works fine (until it auto-powers off). But it is really frustrating if it picks the wrong network, it's like there is nothing i can do to get it to work correctly

(by the way I'm using the wiki wifi tutorial, disabled bluetooth, uninstalled the network manager.
Linux overo 2.6.34 #1 Wed Oct 20 10:22:48 PDT 2010 armv7l GNU/Linux

Blaine

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Re: Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

Blaine Booher
Hi everyone. I solved the "why won't the ESSID" connect due to "user error". One of the letters in our ESSID was capitalized... hah.

Still no solution on why wifi appears turns off after 3 minutes. For now I have to ping in the background.

Blaine

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Re: Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

Kishan Kant
Are you using one of the pre-built development images (if yes, which one) or your own?

I had WiFi issues when I was using the factory pre-built development image. But when I used the latest development pre-built image, the WiFi worked fine.

On Dec 12, 2011, at 6:43 PM, Blaine wrote:

> Hi everyone. I solved the "why won't the ESSID" connect due to "user error". One of the letters in our ESSID was capitalized... hah.
>
> Still no solution on why wifi appears turns off after 3 minutes. For now I have to ping in the background.
>
> Blaine
>

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Blaine <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually I do have one other incredibly frustrating problem. The following works as defined by "the blue wifi LED stays on":
> iwconfig wlan0 essid any
>
> But half the time it picks the wrong network. I can't force it to pick our network for the life of me
> iwconfig wlan0 essid myhomenet
>
> never works. Flashes the blue LED but then it ends up staying off.
>
> When the first command randomly picks our network, everything works fine (until it auto-powers off). But it is really frustrating if it picks the wrong network, it's like there is nothing i can do to get it to work correctly
>
> (by the way I'm using the wiki wifi tutorial, disabled bluetooth, uninstalled the network manager.
> Linux overo 2.6.34 #1 Wed Oct 20 10:22:48 PDT 2010 armv7l GNU/Linux
>
> Blaine
>

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Blaine <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everyone. I'll keep it quick. Unlike most overo issues, when my wifi is working it works fine (I think). I can ping google and for now that's all that matters.
>
> I can see the little blue LED on my board. When I connect to an access point successfully, it flashes and then stays on. After 2-3 minutes it turns off, and I have no network connectivity even though it think I do (with iwconfig, etc.). No dmesg statement, nothin'. I have to bring it down, bring it back up, and do the "iwconfig wlan0 essid on" to get it back up. Light comes back on and I'm good to go.
>
> If I hold a ping command like "ping google.com" there are no problems and it will stay on continuously until 2-3 minutes after stopping the ping.
>
> I remember that the LCD display has a power saving mode that we never figured out how to disable. Is this related? All I want is stable wifi that doesn't turn off. I can't figure out what is causing this behavior. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
> Blaine

Re: Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

Blaine Booher
Thank you kishan. I'm currently using the stock image that came on the overo, built October 20 2010. I'll try a new image and see what it does. Thanks!
Blaine

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Kishan Kant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are you using one of the pre-built development images (if yes, which one) or your own?

I had WiFi issues when I was using the factory pre-built development image. But when I used the latest development pre-built image, the WiFi worked fine.

On Dec 12, 2011, at 6:43 PM, Blaine wrote:

> Hi everyone. I solved the "why won't the ESSID" connect due to "user error". One of the letters in our ESSID was capitalized... hah.
>
> Still no solution on why wifi appears turns off after 3 minutes. For now I have to ping in the background.
>
> Blaine
>

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Blaine <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually I do have one other incredibly frustrating problem. The following works as defined by "the blue wifi LED stays on":
> iwconfig wlan0 essid any
>
> But half the time it picks the wrong network. I can't force it to pick our network for the life of me
> iwconfig wlan0 essid myhomenet
>
> never works. Flashes the blue LED but then it ends up staying off.
>
> When the first command randomly picks our network, everything works fine (until it auto-powers off). But it is really frustrating if it picks the wrong network, it's like there is nothing i can do to get it to work correctly
>
> (by the way I'm using the wiki wifi tutorial, disabled bluetooth, uninstalled the network manager.
> Linux overo 2.6.34 #1 Wed Oct 20 10:22:48 PDT 2010 armv7l GNU/Linux
>
> Blaine
>

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Blaine <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everyone. I'll keep it quick. Unlike most overo issues, when my wifi is working it works fine (I think). I can ping google and for now that's all that matters.
>
> I can see the little blue LED on my board. When I connect to an access point successfully, it flashes and then stays on. After 2-3 minutes it turns off, and I have no network connectivity even though it think I do (with iwconfig, etc.). No dmesg statement, nothin'. I have to bring it down, bring it back up, and do the "iwconfig wlan0 essid on" to get it back up. Light comes back on and I'm good to go.
>
> If I hold a ping command like "ping google.com" there are no problems and it will stay on continuously until 2-3 minutes after stopping the ping.
>
> I remember that the LCD display has a power saving mode that we never figured out how to disable. Is this related? All I want is stable wifi that doesn't turn off. I can't figure out what is causing this behavior. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
> Blaine

Re: Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

Blaine Booher
This appeared to have worked at first, because the wifi stayed on for more than 2-3 minutes... but then this flashed on my console:

cfg80211: Calling CRDA for country: US

and then the blue wifi LED turned off. Still have IP, iwconfig says not connected to any access point.

any thoughts? the CRDA message is new to me.

Using the development image:
 Linux overo 3.0.0 #1 Tue Oct 11 11:37:21 PDT 2011 armv7l GNU/Linux

Blaine

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Blaine <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you kishan. I'm currently using the stock image that came on the overo, built October 20 2010. I'll try a new image and see what it does. Thanks!
Blaine

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Kishan Kant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are you using one of the pre-built development images (if yes, which one) or your own?

I had WiFi issues when I was using the factory pre-built development image. But when I used the latest development pre-built image, the WiFi worked fine.

On Dec 12, 2011, at 6:43 PM, Blaine wrote:

> Hi everyone. I solved the "why won't the ESSID" connect due to "user error". One of the letters in our ESSID was capitalized... hah.
>
> Still no solution on why wifi appears turns off after 3 minutes. For now I have to ping in the background.
>
> Blaine
>

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Blaine <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually I do have one other incredibly frustrating problem. The following works as defined by "the blue wifi LED stays on":
> iwconfig wlan0 essid any
>
> But half the time it picks the wrong network. I can't force it to pick our network for the life of me
> iwconfig wlan0 essid myhomenet
>
> never works. Flashes the blue LED but then it ends up staying off.
>
> When the first command randomly picks our network, everything works fine (until it auto-powers off). But it is really frustrating if it picks the wrong network, it's like there is nothing i can do to get it to work correctly
>
> (by the way I'm using the wiki wifi tutorial, disabled bluetooth, uninstalled the network manager.
> Linux overo 2.6.34 #1 Wed Oct 20 10:22:48 PDT 2010 armv7l GNU/Linux
>
> Blaine
>

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Blaine <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everyone. I'll keep it quick. Unlike most overo issues, when my wifi is working it works fine (I think). I can ping google and for now that's all that matters.
>
> I can see the little blue LED on my board. When I connect to an access point successfully, it flashes and then stays on. After 2-3 minutes it turns off, and I have no network connectivity even though it think I do (with iwconfig, etc.). No dmesg statement, nothin'. I have to bring it down, bring it back up, and do the "iwconfig wlan0 essid on" to get it back up. Light comes back on and I'm good to go.
>
> If I hold a ping command like "ping google.com" there are no problems and it will stay on continuously until 2-3 minutes after stopping the ping.
>
> I remember that the LCD display has a power saving mode that we never figured out how to disable. Is this related? All I want is stable wifi that doesn't turn off. I can't figure out what is causing this behavior. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
> Blaine

Re: Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

Blaine Booher
I've noticed that "power management" is now ON with this new build. I tried to disable it, got a bad message:
root@overo:~# iwconfig wlan0 power off
Error for wireless request "Set Power Management" (8B2C) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.

Crap.
Blaine

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 5:23 PM, Blaine <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> If I hold a ping command like "ping google.com" there are no problems and it will stay on continuously until 2-3 minutes after stopping the ping.
>
> I remember that the LCD display has a power saving mode that we never figured out how to disable. Is this related? All I want is stable wifi that doesn't turn off. I can't figure out what is causing this behavior. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
> Blaine

Re: Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

Power Management is "on" for me too, so that certainly isn't the problem.

And I too get the message "Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain". When I get this message, I think the overo wi-fi goes down briefly because when I try to ping it immediately, I can't. But then within 2-3 seconds the Wi-Fi is up again; I get ping responses from the gumstix.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Is your /etc/network/interfaces set up problem?

-kk

On Dec 13, 2011, at 5:32 PM, Blaine wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > If I hold a ping command like "ping google.com" there are no problems and it will stay on continuously until 2-3 minutes after stopping the ping.
> >
> > I remember that the LCD display has a power saving mode that we never figured out how to disable. Is this related? All I want is stable wifi that doesn't turn off. I can't figure out what is causing this behavior. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
> > Blaine

Re: Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

Kishan,
  this happens regardless of the /etc/network/interfaces configuration. From what I understand that file only specifies what the default behavior of the card is. But I do have it set to the default recommended configuration for an open access point.

We plan on using the gumstix in a data streaming situation so having the wifi go off for 2-3 seconds is unacceptable anyway :( Either way, it doesn't come back on after 2-3 seconds. It stays off.

As of now I have a ping script running in the background every 30 seconds. A huge hack but that's all I can figure out for now.

Thanks for your help. I'm not sure what else to try.
Blaine

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Kishan Kant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> > If I hold a ping command like "ping google.com" there are no problems and it will stay on continuously until 2-3 minutes after stopping the ping.
> >
> > I remember that the LCD display has a power saving mode that we never figured out how to disable. Is this related? All I want is stable wifi that doesn't turn off. I can't figure out what is causing this behavior. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
> > Blaine

Re: Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

In short: Does anyone have a known working overo image that does not have wifi time out? I really feel dirty running a "ping -i 60 google.com" in the background just to keep wifi working.

Specifically this image has the following property:
  1. Does not turn off wifi after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.
I've tried three images, so far. The latest development image (console) from the gumstix website (Oct 2011), (from here: http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/developer/2011-10-17-1015/), the stock image (Oct. 2010), and an older 'known' working image that I found online from a blogger who had the same problem but he said that his image fixed the problem (September 2010).

Blaine

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Re: Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

Steve Sakoman
On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Blaine <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In short: Does anyone have a known working overo image that does not have
> wifi time out? I really feel dirty running a "ping -i 60 google.com" in the
> background just to keep wifi working.

I've never seen wifi timeout on my GNOME image:

http://sakoman.com/category/8-gnome-daily-builds-r13.html

I have wifi up for days at a time.  I'm wondering if it might be
something in your wifi infrastructure??

Steve

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Re: Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

Blaine Booher
Steve,
  Great idea. It's an old router, and on the new image I get a message that indicates it's looking for a country code before dropping...
"Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain"

Now you've got me curious. I wonder what about our hardware, possibly, could cause this?

I'll try the gnome image, thanks a lot. we don't need desktop but it's a good start. Great script by the way!

Blaine

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Re: Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

Chris Dollar
I've also not had any issues running wifi for days at a time. I've used the omap3-console-image built from the overo repository, images from Steve's repository (both by using his script to download and  create a bootable sd card and by cloning his repo and builing the image myself), etc.

I'm with Steve on this most likely being an infrastructure problem. Have you tried connecting with a different AP? Different settings? There is one AP here at my office that I've never been able to get my overo to connect to, although it can see it just fine using iwlist. Not sure what the deal is, but it just doesn't work for me. Attempting to connect to just about any other AP works though.

Chris

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Re: Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

Blaine Booher
I've only tried our single office AP. I'll see if I can find a new network and test it out.

Thanks for the ideas Steve & Chris

Blaine

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Re: Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

Harvey Chapman-2
On Dec 16, 2011, at 12:05 PM, Blaine wrote:

In short: Does anyone have a known working overo image that does not have wifi time out? I really feel dirty running a "ping -i 60 google.com" in the background just to keep wifi working.

Specifically this image has the following property:
  1. Does not turn off wifi after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.
We rolled our own image and do not have that problem. However, I have noticed that it won't even try to associate with an AP unless you try to ping an IP before associated. I know it's backwards, but that's what we've seen. Also, we've noticed that wpa_supplicant sometimes refuses to connect to a preferred access point in its configuration if the last access point it was connected to is in range. The only way to overcome that was to put an invalid passphrase for the unwanted network.

Harvey

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Re: Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

Blaine Booher
Thanks Henry. Fortunately we're not using WPA (yet) but I understand that may be a separate can of worms.

Do you ping in a shell script or do you do it in the /etc/networking/interfaces file? Thanks for the heads up there, I didn't know about that tip.

Blaine

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Re: Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

Chris Dollar
FWIW, I've never had to ping anything before getting the overo to associate to an AP.

One thing to note if you use Steve's gnome image is that it is using NetworkManager to control networking (just like a typical Ubuntu desktop would), and sometimes NetworkManager doesn't play nice with iwconfig and ifconfig run from a command line. So if you want to use iwconfig/ifconfig in the gnome image and things aren't seeming to work try killing NetworkManager and see if things work better.

Chris

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Re: Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

roystonvasey
Dear Blaine,
I have the same problems as you are describing.

After 2 - 3 minutes the wifi disconnects, you see a lot of blue LED activity and about 2 out of three times the connection is re-established (steady blue LED).
This is also accompanied by a cfg80211: World regulatory domain message.
I'm pretty sure that problems are associated with the cfg80211. Though these messages may be generated by the disconnect/reconnect.
Previous kernel versions prior to 2.6.39 didn't produce any cfg80211 messages and the wifi interface never failed using the same hardware and wifi infrastructure.
I'm in New Zealand with a different set of channels so the wifi interface has to change from the default US so that might be a problem.
There have been various post about the cfg80211 messages 'newer kernels have been fixed' and 'Steve's tree needs a patch for this' but I've not had stable wifi for any of my images since I moved up to 2.6.39 and 3.0.0.
By the way my images are based on console images and do not have Network-Manager installed.

Cheers Mike.

Re: Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

Blaine Booher
Thanks for your feedback! So far I have had no luck with newer images. I am beginning to suspect the AP hardware but your experience has me wondering now if it is indeed a software thing.

Do you have an old image that worked for you? I'd love to try it.

thanks,
Blaine

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

Re: Overo Wifi is "turned off" after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

Blaine Booher
Newest image still has this problem. It's infuriating.

Is there any image for the overo that lets me connect to wifi and not get disconnected? It's worth mentioning that I believe the wifi worked when we were booting off of the SD card, but now that we've flashed it it isn't working.

Still getting this one:
cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain

Blaine

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011

123