Quantcast

Overo Kernel Panic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Overo Kernel Panic

gbaker386
When I follow the instructions posted here:

http://www.jumpnowtek.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=85&Itemid=97

I also followed the instructions posted here:
http://www.sleepyrobot.com/?p=210

And compile the 3.5 kernel I get a kernel panic on boot, see below.

Is anyone else experiencing a similar problem?

3.5
[  156.528320] CMEM Range Overlaps Kernel Physical - allowing overlap
[  156.535125] CMEM phys_start (0x86300000) overlaps kernel (0x80000000 -> 0x9df00000)
[  156.544158] allocated heap buffer 0xe1000000 of size 0x53d000
[  156.550445] cmemk initialized
[  156.623138] DSPLINK Module (1.65.00.03) created on Date: Nov 21 2013 Time: 00:26:07
[  156.654296] SDMAK module: built on Nov 21 2013 at 00:25:43
[  156.660766]   Reference Linux version 3.5.7
[  156.665405]   File /media/data_drive/tvp5151/filec/tmp/work/overo-poky-linux-gnueabi/ti-linuxuc
[  157.251739] Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000
[  157.260192] pgd = de948000
[  157.263000] [00000000] *pgd=9fbd6831, *pte=00000000, *ppte=00000000
[  157.269561] Internal error: Oops: 80000007 [#1] PREEMPT ARM
[  157.275390] Modules linked in: sdmak(O) lpm_omap3530(O) dsplinkk(O) cmemk(O) ipv6
[  157.283203] CPU: 0    Tainted: G        W  O  (3.5.7 #1)
[  157.288757] PC is at 0x0
[  157.291412] LR is at __wake_up_common+0x48/0x7c
[  157.296142] pc : [<00000000>]    lr : [<c0056544>]    psr: 20000093
[  157.296142] sp : ded15e90  ip : 00000000  fp : ded15eb4
[  157.308105] r10: 00000000  r9 : 00000000  r8 : 00000003
[  157.313568] r7 : 00000001  r6 : de91cf4c  r5 : 00000001  r4 : de91cf3c
[  157.320373] r3 : 00000001  r2 : 00000000  r1 : 00000003  r0 : de91b40c
[  157.327178] Flags: nzCv  IRQs off  FIQs on  Mode SVC_32  ISA ARM  Segment user
[  157.334716] Control: 10c5387d  Table: 9e948019  DAC: 00000015
[  157.340698] Process getty (pid: 659, stack limit = 0xded142f0)
[  157.346801] Stack: (0xded15e90 to 0xded16000)
[  157.351348] 5e80:                                     00000000 80000013 de91cf4c 00000001
[  157.359863] 5ea0: 00000003 00000001 00000001 de929840 ded15edc c0059b78 00000001 22222222
[  157.368408] 5ec0: c074f968 dfb2d400 de91ce60 00000002 00000001 00000000 df927e78 c029c1cc
[  157.376953] 5ee0: 00000000 0000081f 00000000 00000000 c071cb74 43265690 ded15fb0 0001985c
[  157.385467] 5f00: bebb59c8 43197000 0001985c c0008440 00001000 00000000 00000000 00000000
[  157.394012] 5f20: 386d4417 00000000 00000000 00000000 386d4417 df927e78 00000008 de929840
[  157.402557] 5f40: df4eb5e0 df811ed0 00000000 de929848 0001985c c00e1108 00000000 00000000
[  157.411071] 5f60: de929840 00000000 dea17380 00000001 c000e744 ded14000 00000000 c00dda38
[  157.419616] 5f80: 00000000 dea17380 de929840 c00ddb08 00002000 bebb5f57 00000000 00019998
[  157.428161] 5fa0: 00000006 c000e5c0 bebb5f57 00000000 00000000 386d4417 bebb5970 00002000
[  157.436676] 5fc0: bebb5f57 00000000 00019998 00000006 0001985c bebb59c8 43197000 0001985c
[  157.445220] 5fe0: 00000000 bebb58bc 0000bcac 4325f28c 60000010 00000000 765f6465 524e006d
[  157.453765] [<c0056544>] (__wake_up_common+0x48/0x7c) from [<c0059b78>] (__wake_up+0x44/0x7c)
[  157.462677] [<c0059b78>] (__wake_up+0x44/0x7c) from [<c029c1cc>] (tty_release+0x224/0x454)
[  157.471313] [<c029c1cc>] (tty_release+0x224/0x454) from [<c00e1108>] (fput+0x104/0x244)
[  157.479675] [<c00e1108>] (fput+0x104/0x244) from [<c00dda38>] (filp_close+0x70/0x7c)
[  157.487762] [<c00dda38>] (filp_close+0x70/0x7c) from [<c00ddb08>] (sys_close+0xc4/0x118)
[  157.496215] [<c00ddb08>] (sys_close+0xc4/0x118) from [<c000e5c0>] (ret_fast_syscall+0x0/0x30)
[  157.505096] Code: bad PC value
[  157.508514] ---[ end trace c6938c01caabea32 ]---
[  157.513336] note: getty[659] exited with preempt_count 1


My config file is attached
.config
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Overo Kernel Panic

thinair89
My guess is probably due to kernel 3.5, ioremap() function returns a NULL.  Some references:
http://e2e.ti.com/support/embedded/linux/f/354/p/145698/526172.aspx#526172
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Overo Kernel Panic

Kerry Dungan
I ran depmod as suggested. It fails with an error "could not open directory /lib/modules/3.5.0: No such file or directory". However, under the directory /lib/modules, I only have the directory 3.5.7. Is there a way to fix this?


On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 5:03 PM, thinair89 <[hidden email]> wrote:
My guess is probably due to kernel 3.5, ioremap() function returns a NULL.
Some references:
http://e2e.ti.com/support/embedded/linux/f/354/p/145698/526172.aspx#526172



--
View this message in context: http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Overo-Kernel-Panic-tp4968288p4968381.html
Sent from the Gumstix mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by Intel(R) XDK
Develop, test and display web and hybrid apps with a single code base.
Download it for free now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=111408631&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by Intel(R) XDK
Develop, test and display web and hybrid apps with a single code base.
Download it for free now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=111408631&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Overo Kernel Panic

thinair89
Well, that is due to the modules comes with kernel 3.5.7 when they were installed,and you have a mismatch uImage. 
I'm not exactly sure how to fix this with prebuilt image. I only had experience with building everything from source code...
But at least you figured out your problem, and Google is your friend, lol.


On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Kerry Dungan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I ran depmod as suggested. It fails with an error "could not open directory /lib/modules/3.5.0: No such file or directory". However, under the directory /lib/modules, I only have the directory 3.5.7. Is there a way to fix this?


On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 5:03 PM, thinair89 <[hidden email]> wrote:
My guess is probably due to kernel 3.5, ioremap() function returns a NULL.
Some references:
http://e2e.ti.com/support/embedded/linux/f/354/p/145698/526172.aspx#526172



--
View this message in context: http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Overo-Kernel-Panic-tp4968288p4968381.html
Sent from the Gumstix mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by Intel(R) XDK
Develop, test and display web and hybrid apps with a single code base.
Download it for free now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=111408631&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by Intel(R) XDK
Develop, test and display web and hybrid apps with a single code base.
Download it for free now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=111408631&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users




--
Airie Zhou

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by Intel(R) XDK
Develop, test and display web and hybrid apps with a single code base.
Download it for free now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=111408631&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Overo Kernel Panic

Kerry Dungan
Thanks for everyone's help. I'll try Adam's new image and look at building my own now. I'll report back results on Monday.

Kerry


On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Wenjia Zhou <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well, that is due to the modules comes with kernel 3.5.7 when they were installed,and you have a mismatch uImage. 
I'm not exactly sure how to fix this with prebuilt image. I only had experience with building everything from source code...
But at least you figured out your problem, and Google is your friend, lol.


On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Kerry Dungan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I ran depmod as suggested. It fails with an error "could not open directory /lib/modules/3.5.0: No such file or directory". However, under the directory /lib/modules, I only have the directory 3.5.7. Is there a way to fix this?


On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 5:03 PM, thinair89 <[hidden email]> wrote:
My guess is probably due to kernel 3.5, ioremap() function returns a NULL.
Some references:
http://e2e.ti.com/support/embedded/linux/f/354/p/145698/526172.aspx#526172



--
View this message in context: http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Overo-Kernel-Panic-tp4968288p4968381.html
Sent from the Gumstix mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by Intel(R) XDK
Develop, test and display web and hybrid apps with a single code base.
Download it for free now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=111408631&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by Intel(R) XDK
Develop, test and display web and hybrid apps with a single code base.
Download it for free now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=111408631&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users




--
Airie Zhou

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by Intel(R) XDK
Develop, test and display web and hybrid apps with a single code base.
Download it for free now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=111408631&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by Intel(R) XDK
Develop, test and display web and hybrid apps with a single code base.
Download it for free now!
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=111408631&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Overo Kernel Panic

ErikAlmqvist
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
I've tried both the dylan and dora build without seeing the crash you are seeing.

But I just wanted to point out that by some reason the defconfig in (something like /meta-gumstix/recipies-kernel/linux/linux-gumstix_3.5/overo/defconfig) points to 3.5.0 - even if the recipie is for 3.5.7. I don't know why that is though. It has been working for me without this problem.

* Also, check the  SRCREV in the bb file, and change from 3.5.7 to 3.5.0 if you want that.
* Also, doublecheck the PREFERRED_VERSION under meta-gumstix/conf/machine/overo.conf. Set to linux gumstix 3.5.7 perhaps? http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.1/poky-ref-manual/poky-ref-manual.html#var-PREFERRED_VERSION
Loading...