Quantcast

Overo Fire boot problems

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Overo Fire boot problems

Iker

We are having some problems in Overo Fire boot process. As I read in many other posts, sometimes the system does not boot and  only the "40W" is printed in the console.

We have a custom design with no signals into the overo until SYSEN is set to high, as well as a weak pull-up in RXD3 pin (SYSEN-gated). Power supply is between 3.3 and 3.4V, rise time 500us.

In these no-boot cases, the green led (power led) lights up, but not the blue led D3 (that is TPS65950 LED_B). SYSEN i asserted high and the power supply is OK.

I'd appreciate if  somebody can give me some advice on this topic.

As I can see in the PMIC ref manual, the last step in the power-on sequence is not the assertiopn of SYSEN. After it, the HFCLKOUT starts working and the NRESPWRON signal is asserted high. NRESPWRON is defined by TI as " the reset signal delivered to the host processor at power-on reset (POR) when the voltage core and input/output (I/O) are correctly set up".

Is there any testpoint where I can see that signal?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Iker.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Overo Fire boot problems

Ash Charles
Hi Iker,

The SYS_NRESPWRON signal going to ball AH25 of the OMAP is broken out
on the J1 connector, pin 1.  Details can be found here:
http://gumstix.org/images/overo_signals_latest.pdf

HTH,
Ash

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 1:26 AM, Iker <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> We are having some problems in Overo Fire boot process. As I read in many
> other posts, sometimes the system does not boot and  only the "40W" is
> printed in the console.
>
> We have a custom design with no signals into the overo until SYSEN is set to
> high, as well as a weak pull-up in RXD3 pin (SYSEN-gated). Power supply is
> between 3.3 and 3.4V, rise time 500us.
>
> In these no-boot cases, the green led (power led) lights up, but not the
> blue led D3 (that is TPS65950 LED_B). SYSEN i asserted high and the power
> supply is OK.
>
> I'd appreciate if  somebody can give me some advice on this topic.
>
> As I can see in the PMIC ref manual, the last step in the power-on sequence
> is not the assertiopn of SYSEN. After it, the HFCLKOUT starts working and
> the NRESPWRON signal is asserted high. NRESPWRON is defined by TI as " the
> reset signal delivered to the host processor at power-on reset (POR) when
> the voltage core and input/output (I/O) are correctly set up".
>
> Is there any testpoint where I can see that signal?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
> Iker.
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Overo-Fire-boot-problems-tp4968613.html
> Sent from the Gumstix mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> CenturyLink Cloud: The Leader in Enterprise Cloud Services.
> Learn Why More Businesses Are Choosing CenturyLink Cloud For
> Critical Workloads, Development Environments & Everything In Between.
> Get a Quote or Start a Free Trial Today.
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=119420431&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
> _______________________________________________
> gumstix-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CenturyLink Cloud: The Leader in Enterprise Cloud Services.
Learn Why More Businesses Are Choosing CenturyLink Cloud For
Critical Workloads, Development Environments & Everything In Between.
Get a Quote or Start a Free Trial Today.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=119420431&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Overo Fire boot problems

Iker
Thanks Ash.

I did some tests and the NRESPWRON is asserted high about 2ms after the SYSEN signal although sometimes the boot is not OK. So I supposed PMIC is doing well its job.

Maybe someone from Gumstix can explain the booting process, this is, when and why the blue led D3 lights up. Is it a control led to show when the wake-up of the OMAP is successful?

What happens after the NRESPWRON is asserted HIGH and before the led D3 is light-up?

BR,
Iker.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Overo Fire boot problems

Ash Charles
On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 2:17 AM, Iker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Maybe someone from Gumstix can explain the booting process, this is, when
> and why the blue led D3 lights up. Is it a control led to show when the
> wake-up of the OMAP is successful?
The D3 LED lights up once u-boot code starts running on the processor.
 U-boot programmatically controls the LED_B line that drives this blue
LED.
>
> What happens after the NRESPWRON is asserted HIGH and before the led D3 is
> light-up?
The 'Start-up' section of the processor reference manual (see 3.5.1 of
[1]) is probably the best reference. That said, '40W' suggests that
the processor is at least testing the different possible bootable
interfaces to find a bootable interface (see Chapter 26 of [2]).  Are
you booting from NAND or MMC?  If you are booting from MMC,
double-check that the MMC voltage is coming on.  I've found [3] to be
a useful debugging tool.

[1] http://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/dm3730
[2] http://www.ti.com/lit/pdf/sprugn4
[3] https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9419

--Ash

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CenturyLink Cloud: The Leader in Enterprise Cloud Services.
Learn Why More Businesses Are Choosing CenturyLink Cloud For
Critical Workloads, Development Environments & Everything In Between.
Get a Quote or Start a Free Trial Today.
http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=119420431&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
_______________________________________________
gumstix-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Overo Fire boot problems

Iker
Thanks Ash.

We are booting from MMC. The MMC voltage is ok in those no-boot cases.

Any other suggestions?

Best Regards,
Iker.
Loading...