Quantcast

Overo FE with all components rated for extended temperature

Overo FE with all components rated for extended temperature

hobbesc7
Is it possible to get an Overo FE with the microSD card slot and WIFI module also rated for -40C -> 85C ?

Re: Overo FE with all components rated for extended temperature

Don Anderson
Hi

The Overo FE COM and Overo IronSTORM COM can only be provided as documented on their respective product pages at www.gumstix.com:

Temperature:

Built with components rated -40C < T < 85C except for:
- microSD card slot: -25C < T < 85C
- Bluetooth/Wifi module: -20C < T < 75C

Don Anderson
@ Gumstix

Re: Overo FE with all components rated for extended temperature

hobbesc7
So, if the Wifi module is important for your application, the extra 20 and 10 degrees at the lower and upper ends of the range don't really matter.

Re: Overo FE with all components rated for extended temperature

hobbesc7
Can anyone suggest an alternative to the Gumstix which has everything  -- including Wifi and an SD card slot -- rated at an extended industrial temperature range?  Is such a product technically possible?

Re: Overo FE with all components rated for extended temperature

Greg Kogut
>Is such a product technically possible?

Yes, but you're almost certainly going to have to pay some engineering cost to get it.   Since Gumstix is open source, you could hire a shop to design a version to your spec.   Just takes time and money.

I've made an IronSTORM completely extended temp (on paper)  by removing the uSD card holder and the WiFi chip.  But I don't need WiFi for my application.

If you're happy using NAND flash, you could search for a package-and-pin-compatible version of the WiFi chip and find a good tech who could replace the chip.  But I imagine if it were that easy, Gumstix would have done it.

Greg

Can anyone suggest an alternative to the Gumstix which has everything  --
including Wifi and an SD card slot -- rated at an extended industrial
temperature range?  Is such a product technically possible?

Re: Overo FE with all components rated for extended temperature

hobbesc7
Thanks for your comments.  Do you know of an extended temp ( T < 85C ) SIP Wifi chip?  I've searched a bit online but they all seem to be T < 75C operating.