Quantcast

Overo FE & Pinto TH power on problems

Savas Piperidis
Hi everyone,
I have problems powering on my Pinto TH board that carries an Overo FE COM. Sometimes, after I power on the board, just the yellow LED at the COM lights up and there is no boot progress. Then I have to unplug the COM and plug it back several times, to finally achieve a successful booting process (!). Do I miss something

Also, I searched the forum and still found no answer regarding the use of SYS_EN and POWERON pins of the Pinto TH board (pin 19 and 22 at the 60 pin header). Should I connect them somehow or leave them floating?

Thanks for your time,
Savas Piperidis

Re: Overo FE & Pinto TH power on problems

William Hue-2
Savas,

These pages might answer some of your questions regarding pin usage:
http://gumstix.org/images/overo_signals_latest.pdf
http://gumstix.org/hardware-design/overo-coms/73-overo-design/199-overo-expansion-board-design-requirements.html

        William

On 2012-03-12 08:00, Savas Piperidis wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I have problems powering on my Pinto TH board that carries an Overo FE COM.
> Sometimes, after I power on the board, just the yellow LED at the COM lights
> up and there is no boot progress. Then I have to unplug the COM and plug it
> back several times, to finally achieve a successful booting process (!). Do
> I miss something
>
> Also, I searched the forum and still found no answer regarding the use of
> SYS_EN and POWERON pins of the Pinto TH board (pin 19 and 22 at the 60 pin
> header). Should I connect them somehow or leave them floating?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Savas Piperidis

Re: Overo FE & Pinto TH power on problems

Savas Piperidis
Thank you William for your immediate response. I visited and studied the pages you suggested but still I found no answer to my questions:

**Regarding the POWERON pin, should I connect it somehow or leave it floating? If my COM does not starts the booting process after I power it on, then can I reset it using the POWERON pin on the Pinto board (because the Reset button on the Pinto board does nothing at this case)? If yes how should I connect it?

**Why the Overo+Pinto, sometimes, refuses to boot and start up after the power on? -- this, usually, happens if I don't use it for a day or more. If then I unplug the Overo COM from the Pinto board and try with another Overo Com, I have a normal booting process and everything works fine. If after that, I try again with the first Overo COM then everything works fine again!!!

S. Piperidis

Re: Overo FE & Pinto TH power on problems

ashcharles
Hi Savas,

The SYS_EN pin is really an output from the COM and the POWERON is an
input but has a pull-up on the Overo side.

After reviewing your other posts about Pinto not booting, I suspect
that the problem is the console RX line (GPIO165_IR_RXD3)---if this
line has noise or for some other reason sees a low, the OMAP boot ROM
might expect a serial boot and therefore get stuck.  I'm curious that
others on the list have more problems with Pinto than Thumbo in this
regard as the pin-out and the nature of this line is the same between
the boards.  Maybe I'm misreading the non-booting symptom or perhaps
Pinto is just more susceptible to noise on this line?

HTH,
-Ash

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 2:06 AM, Savas Piperidis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you William for your immediate response. I visited and studied the
> pages you suggested but still I found no answer to my questions:
>
> **Regarding the POWERON pin, should I connect it somehow or leave it
> floating? If my COM does not starts the booting process after I power it on,
> then can I reset it using the POWERON pin on the Pinto board (because the
> Reset button on the Pinto board does nothing at this case)? If yes how
> should I connect it?
>
> **Why the Overo+Pinto, sometimes, refuses to boot and start up after the
> power on? -- this, usually, happens if I don't use it for a day or more. If
> then I unplug the Overo COM from the Pinto board and try with another Overo
> Com, I have a normal booting process and everything works fine. If after
> that, I try again with the first Overo COM then everything works fine
> again!!!
>
> S. Piperidis

Re: Overo FE & Pinto TH power on problems

Savas Piperidis
Dear Ash,
Thank you for your answer (and your other one at my post: http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Pinto-TH-and-Thunbo-board-problems-tt4376291.html#a4675531. I was very happy to see it, as I still have not solve this problem.
You are right, at my project I use the overo console RX line (GPIO165_IR_RXD3 ) to communicate with a sensor. The sensor and the overo, power on simultaneously and so maybe there is noise during the start up at this RX line. If I understood correctly from your message, this console RX line should not see a low. What should this line see? I have tried to boot the system with the sensor turned off, but the problem remains the same and so I guess the console RX line should not be floating unconnected.
One more question regarding the overo I/O:  Is it necessary to use the SYS_EN signal to enable the serial connection with the sensor (and the other I/O overo signals I use) after the overo is ready for I/O?
Once again thank you for your answers,
Savas

Re: Overo FE & Pinto TH power on problems

Ash Charles
On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Savas Piperidis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If I understood correctly from your message, this console RX
> line should *not* see a low. What should this line see? I have tried to boot
> the system with the sensor turned off, but the problem remains the same and
> so I guess the console RX line should not be floating unconnected.
The line should be high.
> One more question regarding the overo I/O:  Is it necessary to use the
> SYS_EN signal to enable the serial connection with the sensor (and the other
> I/O overo signals I use) *after* the overo is ready for I/O?
SYS_EN going high means the Overo is ready for I/O.  Typically, lines
should be gated by SYS_EN i.e don't drive inputs to the Overo before
the Overo is ready.

-Ash

Dear Ash thank you for your immediate answer.
I would like to ask you how can I set high the console Rx line. I assume the high state of the line is the voltage of 1.8V.  This voltage is available at the overo, using the pin34/VCC_1.8 output of the Pinto 60 pin DIP header, but it is set to 1.8 little time after the power on of the board. Shall I use an external voltage or can I use this pin to drive the console Rx line to a high state? If so, shall I use a resistor to connect the two pins or can I simply wire them?

Re: Overo FE & Pinto TH power on problems

Ash Charles
This pin should be in a high-impedance state as the OMAP begins to
boot.  I recommend looking at some of the expansion board schematics
as a reference:

http://pubs.gumstix.com/boards/TOBI/PCB30002-R3474/PCB30002.pdf

Re: Overo FE & Pinto TH power on problems

Savas Piperidis
As I can see at the top right corner of the page 5 of the schematics for the Tobi board, http://pubs.gumstix.com/boards/TOBI/PCB30002-R2392/PCB30002.pdf, the pin30/TXD from IC1 drives the GPIO165_ IR_RX through a SN74AHC1G126 single bus buffer gate with 3 state output. If I understood correctly, in my case I'll also have to use a three state buffer to connect the serial Tx line of my sensor to the GPIO165_ RX overo pin. The buffer will be disabled during power on and enabled after the overo starts to boot. Is that right?
Savas