Quantcast

Overo Air bluetooth and wifi power

Cole Christensen-2
How do I disable and or power down the bluetooth and wifi device on my Overo Air?

Cole Christensen
University of Minnesota

Re: Overo Air bluetooth and wifi power

jpw3

Cole Christensen-2 wrote
How do I disable and or power down the bluetooth and wifi device on my Overo Air?

Cole Christensen
University of Minnesota
Not sure about WiFi, but I found that Bluetooth can be disabled by renaming /etc/init.d/bluetooth (say, rename it to /etc/init.d/bluetooth.orig).  Also, there is a Bluetooth configuration file which can be tweaked at /etc/default/bluetooth.  In my case, I didn't change anything in the config file, I only changed the name of the file in the init.d directory.

Both of the options I mention about are mentioned in the following post (although they are specifically talking about a Verdex board in that case; the info still seems appropriate for an Overo board):

http://old.nabble.com/Suppressing-bluetooth-td15523810.html#a15523810

Best regards,

John

Re: Overo Air bluetooth and wifi power

Cole Christensen-2
Thanks for the input, John.  I am much more concerned with power than boot time.  Can you actually confirm the bluetooth radio is _off_?

Also, I would advice using the utility "update-rc.d" to manage which programs start on boot as opposed to modifying things in init.d.

--Cole Christensen

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 1:29 PM, jpw3 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Cole Christensen-2 wrote:

> How do I disable and or power down the bluetooth and wifi device on my
> Overo Air?
>
> Cole Christensen
> University of Minnesota

Not sure about WiFi, but I found that Bluetooth can be disabled by renaming
/etc/init.d/bluetooth (say, rename it to /etc/init.d/bluetooth.orig).  Also,
there is a Bluetooth configuration file which can be tweaked at
/etc/default/bluetooth.  In my case, I didn't change anything in the config
file, I only changed the name of the file in the init.d directory.

Both of the options I mention about are mentioned in the following post
(although they are specifically talking about a Verdex board in that case;
the info still seems appropriate for an Overo board):

http://old.nabble.com/Suppressing-bluetooth-td15523810.html#a15523810

Best regards,

John

Re: Overo Air bluetooth and wifi power

jpw3

Cole Christensen-2 wrote
Thanks for the input, John.  I am much more concerned with power than boot
time.  Can you actually confirm the bluetooth radio is _off_?

Also, I would advice using the utility "update-rc.d" to manage which
programs start on boot as opposed to modifying things in init.d.

--Cole Christensen
Cole,

Thanks for the pointer on update-rc!

I'm not positive about supplying no power to Bluetooth.  In my case, I wanted to use UART2 (which by default Bluetooth uses) and so I wanted to make sure that the Bluetooth system doesn't start and try to send anything to UART2.  After I made the change to the startup script so Bluetooth isn't started, I monitored UART2 at boot and indeed no messages are sent to UART2.

However, I don't know if power is actually disabled.

Best regards,

John

Re: Overo Air bluetooth and wifi power

Frank Agius
On 6/4/2010 1:42 AM, Cole Christensen wrote:
> How do I disable and or power down the bluetooth and wifi device on my
> Overo Air?

You can disable wifi and bluetooth by setting the appropriate gpio pins
to 0:

# disable wifi
echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio16/value
# disable bluetooth
echo 0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio15/value

This definitely disables the devices, but I'm not positive that they are
completely powered down (I haven't verified with current measurements).
  The wifi chip is noticeably cooler to the touch after setting gpio16 to 0.

frank

> Cole Christensen
> University of Minnesota

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo

Re: Overo Air bluetooth and wifi power

victoraa
Sorry Frank, just only a qestions
The GPIO for disable the bluetooth isn't the GPIO164?
At least in the Overo Signal documentation (from 3/03/2010) the GPIO164 is
GPIO164_BT_nRESET.

I'm not sure ....

Regards,
Víctor Andrés

On 6/17/2010 9:37 AM, Victor Andres wrote:
> Sorry Frank, just only a qestions
> The GPIO for disable the bluetooth isn't the GPIO164?
> At least in the Overo Signal documentation (from 3/03/2010) the GPIO164 is
> GPIO164_BT_nRESET.
>
> I'm not sure ....

You are correct, the reset for the bluetooth module is listed as gpio164
in v 1.2 of the signals doc
(http://www.gumstix.net/images/gumstix_overo_signals_v1.2.pdf).  I've
verified that setting gpio164 will reset the bluetooth.  But toggling
gpio15 also seems to disable the bluetooth module.  What is gpio15
connected to?

Anyway, here is the updated command line to disable wifi and bluetooth:

# disable wifi
echo 0>  /sys/class/gpio/gpio16/value
# disable bluetooth
echo 0>  /sys/class/gpio/gpio164/value

frank

> Regards,
> Víctor Andrés

paul@idruna.com
Frank Agius wrote

Is there something else I have to do for this work? The WiFi module stays extremely hot here.

Re: Overo Air bluetooth and wifi power

paul@idruna.com
Idruna wrote
Is there something else I have to do for this work? The WiFi module stays extremely hot here.
Looks like a space was lost after the 0 somewhere along the line, the syntax was correct in the first version:
echo 0 >  /sys/class/gpio/gpio16/value