Quantcast

Overo Air Wifi data rate only 5.5Mbps

dtran11
I have an Overo Air running in 3.0-pm. I am using the onboard wifi module connected to a router. For some reason I am only getting a data rate of only 5.5Mbps max. I cannot do "iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M" because it says that setting the data rate is not supported.

Does power management have anything to do with this? Has anyone seen iwconfig report data rates of higher than 5.5Mbps?

Thanks.

Re: Overo Air Wifi data rate only 5.5Mbps

dtran11
I am able to get 54M on kernel 2.6.33 by calling "iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M" but on 3.0-pm I get this error:

Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.

Re: Overo Air Wifi data rate only 5.5Mbps

dtran11
Just tried Sakoman's image for 3.0 and setting the bitrate still fails.

Any clues? Thanks.

Re: Overo Air Wifi data rate only 5.5Mbps

Andrea Bazzini
dtran11 <dtran11 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Just tried Sakoman's image for 3.0 and setting the bitrate still fails.
>
> Any clues? Thanks.

> Write once. Port to many.
> Get the SDK and tools to simplify cross-platform app development. Create
> new or port existing apps to sell to consumers worldwide. Explore the
> Intel AppUpSM program developer opportunity. appdeveloper.intel.com/join
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-appdev

I have same problem, when the wifi connect to the access point the rate is
selected at 5.5 or 11 Mbit/sec even if the signal quality is very high and I
can't specify a rate because I get the unsopported message, it seems that
setting any parameter with iwconfig is not working, txpower, frag, rts etc. I
tried kernel 2.6.36, 2.6.39 and 3.0 but they all have the same problem, kernel
2.6.34 works correctly. Do anybody know a workaround for this ?

Re: Overo Air Wifi data rate only 5.5Mbps

dtran11
Andrea

Thanks for your response. I am getting the same error in 2.6.36, 2.6.39, 3.0, and 3.0-pm like you said.
It seems like 2.6.33 and 2.6.34 are the only ones that work. I might try 2.6.35 to see where the line is.

Re: Overo Air Wifi data rate only 5.5Mbps

dtran11
I have been tracking the different kernel versions 2.6.33 - 3.0 at sakoman's linux-omap-2.6.git branch and found that the files assoc.c, assoc.h, scan.c, scan.h, wext.c, and wext.h are missing from 2.6.36 and up. In assoc.c there is code to support setting of the bitrates. Do the missing files in the newer kernels have to do with the error we are seeing?

Thanks.

Re: Overo Air Wifi data rate only 5.5Mbps

dtran11
I forgot to give the path to where the missing files are:

[linux-omap-2.6.git] / drivers / net / wireless / libertas /

Re: Overo Air Wifi data rate only 5.5Mbps

gumsticker
Hello,

I experience the 5.5 MBit WiFi rate issue too. However I ran some speedtests. The most important first:
Although the factory build 2.6.39 shows a rate of 5.5 MBit/s in iwconfig I get good wifi rates!
Only in the new builds with kernel 3.0.0 the rates s*ck at ~50 kbyte/sec for Wifi.

Here some details of my empirics:

Image                        Kernel wget file (LAN) extern SCP iwconfig
(1) Factory Nand 2.6.34 1000 1800 rate can be changed
(1) SD 2011-08 stable 2.6.39 1200 1800 rate fixed at 5.5 Mbit
(2) Factory Nand 2.6.34 1000 1800 rate can be changed
(2) SD 2011-10 devel 3.0.0 60 90 rate fixed at 5.5 Mbit
(1) SD recent console build 3.0.0 60 -- rate fixed at 5.5 Mbit

All rates are in MBit/s, roughly rounded. I ran for every configuration two tests,
first a wget from a server in my LAN. Then a SCP file push from my computer to the Overo.
Please excuse the bad table layout.

Happy new year you all!

Re: Overo Air Wifi data rate only 5.5Mbps

gumsticker
Sorry, of course the rates of the two tests are in kbyte/s, so I get close to the max. in 802.11g.
Also, (1) and (2) denote two different, but identical devices (Overo Firestorm).

gumsticker wrote
All rates are in MBit/s, roughly rounded.

Re: Overo Air Wifi data rate only 5.5Mbps

gumsticker
Hello folks,

Still I get with the recent development images only ~70-80 kBytes / sec. with the WiFi. The problem must be in the image (kernel 3.xx), as with the older images (kernel 2.6.3x) I get decent rates. Any news about that?

Regards, Johannes

Re: Overo Air Wifi data rate only 5.5Mbps

dtran11
This post was updated on .
I am still waiting for a fix in 3.xx. I tried 3.2 and it is still slow (around 100KB/s) compared to 2.6.33 which gets up to 3MB/s.

Re: Overo Air Wifi data rate only 5.5Mbps

DavidC
Same problem here.

Re: Overo Air Wifi data rate only 5.5Mbps

hobbesc7
Same problem here  - 3.0.0

2.6.34 was fine.

Re: Overo Air Wifi data rate only 5.5Mbps

hobbesc7
Seems OK with 3.2.0

Re: Overo Air Wifi data rate only 5.5Mbps

dtran11
3.2 is good now with the latest patch for the sd card performance. With 3.2 the data rate was slow because of the sd card bug and not the wifi. Apply the update and try it again in 3.2

Re: Overo Air Wifi data rate only 5.5Mbps

Matia
Dear Gumstix Users,
I'd like to ask you if the Wifi problem on the Gumstix Overo has a solution.
Currently, I tested with kernel 3.5, compiled using Sakoman's recipe.
The device works, but Its rate is limited at 5.5 Mb/s and if I try to
iwconfig wlan0 rate 54
then I get:
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.
As I said, the device works, but it is far from the speed required by video streaming, the application I'm working on.
Did anybody ever solved this problem?
I also tried kernel 3.6, which I was not able to boot with some error related to the reading from the sd card (I can provide further details if anybody is interested).

Re: Overo Air Wifi data rate only 5.5Mbps

bhamadicharef
What "SD card bug" ? Any patch for this issue ... does this fix the WIFI rate ?