Other Java VMs

Stephen Bridges-3
Just before I try it, I thought I'd ask the collective first.  Barring not
fitting onto flash, is it possible to use a different Java VM to Jam?  Such
as the Sun one?

Just in case I can't get my code working with JamVM after cramming it on
there.  Although I'm hoping to depend it on classpath-minimal instead of
classpath if possible.

Ta,

Stephen.

Re: Other Java VMs

Peter A
Stephen,

This is my first time working with java off the desktop.  I have not done a detailed search looking at all the alternatives, so what I am about to say could be completely wrong.  From talking to other people, my general impression of the other VM is that they are no longer supported, poorly supported or support only older version of java (like 1.3).  Sun's java ME is essentially unsupported and not being updated.  IBM makes a commercial one that I think is popular on some devices.  There are also a few other open source JMs like Kaffe, here is a list of others http://www.kaffe.org/links.shtml.

If you are not going to add more flash to your system I would recommend building classpath yourself.  Then  decompressing its jars and removing everything that you do not need.  After you are done you can compress them again and upload it to the gumstix.  For example, if you do not plan on having a GUI and will only use english you can remove a lot of stuff.  This will reduce java's footprint by several megs.

- Peter

Stephen Bridges-3 wrote

On Sunday 24 February 2008 01:29:22 Peter A wrote:

> If you are not going to add more flash to your system I would recommend
> building classpath yourself.  Then  decompressing its jars and removing
> everything that you do not need.  After you are done you can compress them
> again and upload it to the gumstix.  For example, if you do not plan on
> having a GUI and will only use english you can remove a lot of stuff.  This
> will reduce java's footprint by several megs.

Yeah, I noticed that!  I might try getting JamVM to depend on
classpath-minimal and not classpath.  I might look at Squawk as well, as
that's Sun's effort at "resource-constrained" machines.

Stephen.

Re: Other Java VMs

Robert Dodier
Administrator
Stephen Bridges-3 wrote
Just before I try it, I thought I'd ask the collective first.  Barring not
fitting onto flash, is it possible to use a different Java VM to Jam?  Such
as the Sun one?
I looked around and I found a lot of apparently-dead projects and only
a few live options. (1) JamVM + Classpath. (2) J9 JVM from IBM.
J9 is a commercial product. IBM apparently doesn't sell this directly;
I got an evaluation version from a company named MicroDoc.
I have gotten J9 running on a Gumstix but, since it is J2ME there is
a lot of stuff omitted from the libraries. You'll have to code around
the limitations or find/create replacements. (3) Aonix, another
commercial product. I don't know anything about them.

As you may know Sun open-sourced their JDK recently, and there
are a couple of projects to merge Sun's stuff w/ Classpath
but they are not as far along as Classpath itself.
Sfaict there is no Sun-produced JVM for ARM cpus. Rats.

Stephen Bridges-3 wrote
Just in case I can't get my code working with JamVM after cramming it on
there.  Although I'm hoping to depend it on classpath-minimal instead of
classpath if possible.
Get more memory for your Gumstix if you can. That's the easy
way to solve this problem; you can waste a lot of time trying
to shoehorn Classpath into a too-small device.

FWIW

Robert Dodier

Re: Other Java VMs

Stephen Bridges-3
On Friday 29 February 2008 17:12:15 Robert Dodier wrote:

> I looked around and I found a lot of apparently-dead projects and only
> a few live options. (1) JamVM + Classpath. (2) J9 JVM from IBM.
> J9 is a commercial product. IBM apparently doesn't sell this directly;
> I got an evaluation version from a company named MicroDoc.
> I have gotten J9 running on a Gumstix but, since it is J2ME there is
> a lot of stuff omitted from the libraries. You'll have to code around
> the limitations or find/create replacements. (3) Aonix, another
> commercial product. I don't know anything about them.
>
> As you may know Sun open-sourced their JDK recently, and there
> are a couple of projects to merge Sun's stuff w/ Classpath
> but they are not as far along as Classpath itself.
> Sfaict there is no Sun-produced JVM for ARM cpus. Rats.

Actually, there is one.  I found a Java Embedded from Sun, but it's not free,
the evaluation version runs for 90 days, and you pay royalties on putting it
in a product.  And it's 24Mb and linked to glibc.  So double rats.  I've not
been able to test it as I can't work out how to simulate that much space in
qemu yet.

Currently it looks like I'm going to have to go x86 for the first phase of my
work, until I can get all the Java out :(

Stephen.

Re: Other Java VMs

Angel Roman-2
As another option try looking at PhoneME. It is Sun's GPLed jvm for
mobile platforms. If you build the advanced profile you'll get most of
the 1.4.2 class libraries.

Here's the download link:
https://phoneme.dev.java.net/downloads_page.html

I have built it for omap and mxXX processors. Getting it to work with a
pxa shouldn't be a problem.

Regards,
Angel Roman
MDE Systems, Inc.