Quantcast

OpenGL ES / SGX on DM3730 (WaterSTORM)

Nick Rawluk

Hello,

This is my first post to the mailing list. Thanks for taking the time to read it. Searching through the archives has been helpful but I was hoping for some updated information.

TL;DR: Does anyone have pre-built linux/android images with the OpenGL ES SGX drivers on a DM 3730 WaterSTORM? Or instructions to build them? Is there a bitbake recipe I’ve not found?

The long version: I recently purchased a WaterSTORM with the intention of using Kivy (http://kivy.org/) to develop a touchscreen device. However it requires OpenGL ES 2 (which the DM3730 should be capable of) but no driver is provided in the current Yocto bitbake recipe or the Ubuntu image. I have Kivy running with software opengl emulation but it’s too darn slow to be usable.

Searching through the mailing list and the internet I have read conflicting statements on the status of using opengl SGX with the WaterSTORM. Some posts suggest people have it working on Android and/or Linux. However, other posts suggest not, and the fact that the info has been hard to find and there’s no wiki topics for doing this on the DM3730 suggests it’s not working. All the posts I have found are 2+ years old so I was hoping for a more up-to-date response.

Of course, if I’ve missed something obvious please let me know. For example, is there a yocto bitbake recipe I’ve missed?

Thank you for your help,

Nick

Re: OpenGL ES / SGX on DM3730 (WaterSTORM)

Jeff DeFouw-2
On 1/22/2014 4:00 PM, Nick Rawluk wrote:

> TL;DR: Does anyone have pre-built linux/android images with the OpenGL ES SGX
> drivers on a DM 3730 WaterSTORM? Or instructions to build them? Is there a
> bitbake recipe I’ve not found?
>
> The long version: I recently purchased a WaterSTORM with the intention of
> using Kivy (http://kivy.org/) to develop a touchscreen device. However it
> requires OpenGL ES 2 (which the DM3730 should be capable of) but no driver is
> provided in the current Yocto bitbake recipe or the Ubuntu image. I have Kivy
> running with software opengl emulation but it’s too darn slow to be usable.
>
> Searching through the mailing list and the internet I have read conflicting
> statements on the status of using opengl SGX with the WaterSTORM. Some posts
> suggest people have it working on Android and/or Linux. However, other posts
> suggest not, and the fact that the info has been hard to find and there’s no
> wiki topics for doing this on the DM3730 suggests it’s not working. All the
> posts I have found are 2+ years old so I was hoping for a more up-to-date
> response.
>
> Of course, if I’ve missed something obvious please let me know. For example,
> is there a yocto bitbake recipe I’ve missed?

I'm using the OpenGL ES SGX drivers on the WaterSTORM.  I'm using a custom
production build environment from 2009, so I can't really help with the new
factory/yocto/layered build process.  The bitbake recipes are called
libgles-omap3 and omap3-sgx-modules, and they were included back then.  I see
they still exist in the yocto meta-ti layer.

--
Jeff DeFouw <[hidden email]>
Programmer

Re: OpenGL ES / SGX on DM3730 (WaterSTORM)

Nick Rawluk
Thanks for the response Jeff,

Do you know if your production build environment was based off of a yocto build environment? If so, do you know what version it was based off? I'm not sure if was gumstix even using yocto in 2009. If not, would you mind telling me what Linux kernel version you're using?

Had anyone else had success with the meta-ti recipes and the DM3730 chip (Water/FireSTORM)? If so, what yocto version (dylan, denzil, etc.) did you work from?

Thanks,

Nick

On 1/28/2014 10:37 AM, Nick Rawluk wrote:
> Do you know if your production build environment was based off of a yocto
> build environment? If so, do you know what version it was based off? I'm
> not sure if was gumstix even using yocto in 2009. If not, would you mind
> telling me what Linux kernel version you're using?

It's not.  In 2009, it was the OpenEmbedded "classic" build environment.

Current build versions:
Kernel: 2.6.37 from TI PSP 04.02.00.07 with patches for our system
SGX driver: 4.06.00.02

--
Jeff DeFouw <[hidden email]>
Programmer

Re: OpenGL ES / SGX on DM3730 (WaterSTORM)

bhamadicharef
We have Sakoman Linux kernel 3.0 running with SGX acceleration
We use openEmbedded classic using bitkbake and patches.

Re: OpenGL ES / SGX on DM3730 (WaterSTORM)

Nick Rawluk
I was just able to get the OpenGL ES 2.0 demos running yesterday on the WaterSTORM using a combination of the TI DVSDK (http://www.ti.com/tool/linuxdvsdk-dm37x) and the gumstix kernel (https://github.com/gumstix/linux/tree/omap-2.6.37). I may change and try to get it working with the bitbake instead. Either way, once I finalize my method I plan to post a tutorial on the Gumstix Wiki. In the end the process wasn't that difficult but I felt quite lost when I started.

Thanks bhamadicharef and Jeff for the feedback!

Nick

Re: OpenGL ES / SGX on DM3730 (WaterSTORM)

Nick Rawluk
Has anyone successfully compiled the drivers to work with Xorg?

I have the TI Graphics SDK 4.10 compiled with SUPPORT_ORG=1. It loads the correct modules and an instance of Xorg but I can't any demos to run or applications to use it. Based on the Xorg log it sounds like it's missing a module and defaulting to software rendering:

(II) Loading /usr/local/XSGX/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri2.so
(II) Module dri2: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) pvr(0): [DRI2] Setup complete
(II) pvr(0): [DRI2]   DRI driver: pvr
(II) EXA(0): Driver allocated offscreen pixmaps
(II) EXA(0): Driver registered support for the following operations:
(II)         Solid
(II)         Copy
(II)         Composite (RENDER acceleration)
(II)         UploadToScreen
(==) pvr(0): DPMS enabled
(==) pvr(0): Direct rendering enabled
(EE) pvr(0): PVRDisplayCommandNoArgs: drmCommandWrite failed (-22)
(EE) pvr(0): PVRDisplayScreenInitFinalize: PVRDisplayCommandNoArgs failed (-22)
(==) RandR enabled
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/local/XSGX/lib/dri/pvr_dri.so failed (/usr/local/XSGX/lib/dri/p
vr_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
(II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
linaro@dm37x-evm:~$ (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized swrast
(II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0

Nick