Quantcast

OpenEmbedded/Bitbake Packaging Question

Poole, Donald R.
I've created a recipe to package a custom library and I have a question regarding where bitbake grabs the files needed for the packages (e.g the ${PN}, ${PN}-dev and ${PN}-doc).  I'm fairly new to OpenEmbedded/Bitbake, so I'm still learning a lot.  But, I'm stuck on fully understanding the packaging concept.  Does bitbake grab the appropriate files for packaging  from the ${S} folder or some other folder under the ${WORKDIR}?  The reason I'm asking is because I've noticed that none of my packages directories under the /work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/<package_name>/packages-split have anything within them.  Is there something I need to make sure I'm doing within the recipe to ensure that the folders are populated?  I have read the manual to find and answer, but nothing jumped out at me.  Can anyone provide some insight as to how bitbake finds the appropriate files to place in the packages?  Thanks in advance!

Donald R. Poole, Jr.
Research Engineer
Voice: 210.522.3131 | Fax: 210.522.4931
Tactical Networks & Communications (tacticalnetworks.swri.org)
Southwest Research Institute (SwRI)

Re: OpenEmbedded/Bitbake Packaging Question

Jeff DeFouw-2
On 4/13/2012 11:51 AM, Poole, Donald R. wrote:

> I've created a recipe to package a custom library and I have a question
> regarding where bitbake grabs the files needed for the packages (e.g the
> ${PN}, ${PN}-dev and ${PN}-doc). I'm fairly new to OpenEmbedded/Bitbake, so
> I'm still learning a lot. But, I'm stuck on fully understanding the packaging
> concept. Does bitbake grab the appropriate files for packaging from the ${S}
> folder or some other folder under the ${WORKDIR}? The reason I'm asking is
> because I've noticed that none of my packages directories under the
> //work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/<package_name>/packages-split / have
> anything within them. Is there something I need to make sure I'm doing within
> the recipe to ensure that the folders are populated? I have read the manual to
> find and answer, but nothing jumped out at me. Can anyone provide some insight
> as to how bitbake finds the appropriate files to place in the packages? Thanks
> in advance!

Your recipe needs to install to full paths within ${D} during the install task
(do_install).  For a library you probably want to create and install to
${D}/usr/lib.  Many open source libraries use autotools or a similar common
install method, and common installs are taken care of by functions built into
the main OE scripts.  For examples of doing it yourself, you'll need to look
for recipes that have a custom do_install.

--
Jeff DeFouw <[hidden email]>
Programmer

Re: OpenEmbedded/Bitbake Packaging Question

Donny3000
Thanks Jeff for your response.  Ensuring that I was installing to full paths resolved my problem.  I had to modify my Makefile to prefix the installation path with the ${D} variable like you mentioned.
Jeff DeFouw-2 wrote