Quantcast

Open-embedded for Overo SAND

g4@novadsp.com
Hello

New to building from scratch. I'm following the instructions here at
gumstix.org and building on a Ubuntu VM (64GB, Quad core).

Doubtless there will be more fundamental questions to ask before I get
things running but:

1. Is there a ready-to-roll SD image that includes power-management?
2. Do I specifically need to enable power management when I build or is
that the default?
3. More generally are there specific build options etc that I need to
set for the Sand or will this happen as part of the build process?

Any help greatly appreciated

Jerry

Re: Open-embedded for Overo SAND

adam.yh.lee
This post was updated on .
HI Jerry, can you elaborate on your first question?
From my understanding there is a multiple level of  power management on OMAP3 (sleep/deep_sleep/sleep_on_idle etc..).
I am not sure if you read Sakoman's article on pm. If you haven't, I think it will be a good reading.

Adam

On 05/31/2012 07:48 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hello
>
> New to building from scratch. I'm following the instructions here at
> gumstix.org and building on a Ubuntu VM (64GB, Quad core).
>
> Doubtless there will be more fundamental questions to ask before I get
> things running but:
>
> 1. Is there a ready-to-roll SD image that includes power-management?
NO

> 2. Do I specifically need to enable power management when I build or is
> that the default?
Read the wiki and tutorials
> 3. More generally are there specific build options etc that I need to
> set for the Sand or will this happen as part of the build process?
Again read the wikis and tutorials and google. All these questions have
been answered many times and a little research on your part will pay 10
fold, just like was suggested on your Beagle threads ;)

> Any help greatly appreciated
>
> Jerry

Re: Open-embedded for Overo SAND

On 05/31/2012 07:48 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hello
>
> New to building from scratch. I'm following the instructions here at
> gumstix.org and building on a Ubuntu VM (64GB, Quad core).
>
> Doubtless there will be more fundamental questions to ask before I get
> things running but:
>
> 1. Is there a ready-to-roll SD image that includes power-management?
Sorry forgot to say you need the PM kernel. No prebuilt images from
gumstix offer the PM kernel as the default. At least I have never seen
or heard of any listed.

> 2. Do I specifically need to enable power management when I build or is
> that the default?
> 3. More generally are there specific build options etc that I need to
> set for the Sand or will this happen as part of the build process?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated
>
> Jerry

Re: Open-embedded for Overo SAND

g4@novadsp.com
Hello Adam

>> From my understanding there is a multiple level of  power management on
> OMAP3 (sleep/deep_sleep/sleep_on_idle etc..).
> I am not sure if you read
> http://www.sakoman.com/OMAP/an-overiew-of-omap3-power-management-with-2639-pm.html
> Sakoman's article on pm .

Indeed i have. Excellent.

Thanks.

Re: Open-embedded for Overo SAND

g4@novadsp.com
You are DonDeJuan.

>> set for the Sand or will this happen as part of the build process?
> Again read the wikis and tutorials and google. All these questions have
> been answered many times and a little research on your part will pay 10
> fold, just like was suggested on your Beagle threads ;)

Take it as granted that I do read the wikis and tuts. Most of them are
hopelessly out of date, which is why people keep asking the same
questions on lists. My experience has generally been that a polite
question should raise no ire, and indeed will generally elide
knowledgeable answers, which in turn helps the others who do bother to
search recent lists etc.

Capice?

On 05/31/2012 11:07 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> You are DonDeJuan.
>
>>> set for the Sand or will this happen as part of the build process?
>> Again read the wikis and tutorials and google. All these questions have
>> been answered many times and a little research on your part will pay 10
>> fold, just like was suggested on your Beagle threads ;)
> Take it as granted that I do read the wikis and tuts. Most of them are
> hopelessly out of date, which is why people keep asking the same
> questions on lists. My experience has generally been that a polite
> question should raise no ire, and indeed will generally elide
> knowledgeable answers, which in turn helps the others who do bother to
> search recent lists etc.
>
> Capice?

I wonder how others get more current info then? Weird? LOL But the
questions you asked are all available already. Yes there maybe out of
date info out there but correct info is as well. If you feel so many
wikis are out of date you can easily rectify that.

On 31/05/2012 19:21, j wrote:

> ... tripe ...

Use your limited energies wisely. Thanks for understanding.