I'm using the "Using the Open Embedded Build System for Overo Series" tutorial on Ubuntu 12.04 - following the instructions exactly. The first problem I had was openssl link errors, but found a way to fix it here on the forum. Now bitbake omap3-console-image hangs on the fetch of linux-omap3_git.bb. Log:
NOTE: Running task 1719 of 5154 (ID: 896, /home/rob/overo-oe/org.openembedded.dev/recipes/linux/linux-omap3_git.bb, do_fetch)
NOTE: package linux-omap3-3.2-r103: task do_fetch: Started
--2012-07-03 16:50:33-- http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/unstable/sources/git_www.sakoman.com.git.linux-omap-2.6.git_33128932803c3f8c35fe8dae257901deb60db2aa.tar.gz Resolving www.angstrom-distribution.org (www.angstrom-distribution.org)... 184.108.40.206
Connecting to www.angstrom-distribution.org (www.angstrom-distribution.org)|220.127.116.11|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2012-07-03 16:50:36 ERROR 404: Not Found.
Cloning into /home/rob/overo-oe/sources/git/www.sakoman.com.git.linux-omap-2.6.git...
It says cloning, but never gives an object count. I killed bitbake and restarted several times. I also manually tried:
and immediately started getting an object count. My guess is that there is something wrong with the revision string, but I have no idea what it should be. It seems like other people have had trouble with this same step, but I had a difficult time figuring out from the threads what to do about it.
I found a partial solution to the problem and want to document in the same place the solution to the openssl-native problem for those using Ubuntu 12.04.
For linux-omap3, the git clone download is over 500 MB. When you do a manual git clone, you can see the progress. Because bitbake appears to be getting a tar.gz version of it, no status is shown. My system monitor showed normal download speeds, but I couldn't tell that anything was happening, so it appeared that things were hung since 500 MB takes a while to download (a few hours on my system). After manually doing the git clone:
I was able to modify the linux-omap3_git.bb recipe to have a SRC_URI that pointed to the directory I wanted. This is tricky because when you use file:// in the SRC_URI statement, it is still a relative path. You can let it error the first time, find out where it is looking for the folder, then get the relative path correct the next time.
This got me past the fetch, but it still failed in do_configure because its trying to do a make oldconfig and there is no rule to make that target.
For openssl-native, Donny3000's entry at http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/openssl-native-compile-error-td630730i20.html#a4964562 fixed the problem. Snipped from that entry:
I 'm working with Ubuntu 12.04 and had the same problem that everyone has been experiencing with the undefined references. I found the problem to be an error in the debian.patch patch file. The patch file erroneously creates an openssl library version symbol:
When in fact the version symbol should be
for openssl v1.0.0. Making this change and commenting out the deceptive libdeps-first.patch patch allow me to compile openssl-native on my Ubuntu 12.04 VM.
The build hang really wasn't. It was just a huge tar.gz file (several hundred MB) that takes a long time to download and gives no status along the way. Further, because the server compresses the objects (at least that is my guess based on how the manual git command worked) on the fly, there is no network activity for a few minutes when this is occuring.