Quantcast

Non-matchng vermagic number

ssgonzo68
I recently receive the MicroSD card with the Angstrom system on it.  I am now trying to build a kernel module (gpio) on it but I can’t seem that same source code that was used to build the Kernel on the Angstrom system.

Checking out linux-omap3-2.6.39 was not good enough because the vermagic information did not match.
I looked and existing module on the system and its vermagic info was:  2.6.39 mod_unload modversions ARMv7
I compiled kernel module vermagic info was 2.6.39 preemt mod_unload modversions ARMv7 p2v8
I don't know to get the exact source code that was used to create my angstrom system.

I’m thinking I need to use a different SRCREV in the bitbake bb file.  I am new to this so I’m not sure if I’m the right track or not.

Can anyone give me information so that I can get the exact same kernel code that was used for the Angstrom system.

Thanks,

Saul

Re: Non-matchng vermagic number

Ash Charles
IIRC, the cards are made from
http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/factory/2011-08-30-1058/
The commit information is available there.

Note, if you are recompiling your kernel anyway, it maybe easiest to
replace the uImage.

-Ash

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 7:30 AM, ssgonzo68 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I recently receive the MicroSD card with the Angstrom system on it.  I am now
> trying to build a kernel module (gpio) on it but I can’t seem that same
> source code that was used to build the Kernel on the Angstrom system.
>
> Checking out linux-omap3-2.6.39 was not good enough because the vermagic
> information did not match.
> I looked and existing module on the system and its vermagic info was:
> 2.6.39 mod_unload modversions ARMv7
> I compiled kernel module vermagic info was 2.6.39 preemt mod_unload
> modversions ARMv7 p2v8
> I don't know to get the exact source code that was used to create my
> angstrom system.
>
> I’m thinking I need to use a different SRCREV in the bitbake bb file.  I am
> new to this so I’m not sure if I’m the right track or not.
>
> Can anyone give me information so that I can get the exact same kernel code
> that was used for the Angstrom system.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Saul

Re: Non-matchng vermagic number

ssgonzo68
Thanks, I tried it new srcrev number you directed me to but I got a failure.

ssgonzo68@ubuntu:~/overo-oe/org.openembedded.dev/recipes/linux$ bitbake -b linux-omap3_2.6.39.bb

Build Configuration:
BB_VERSION        = "1.12.0"
METADATA_BRANCH   = "overo-2011.03"
METADATA_REVISION = "8b733a3"
TARGET_ARCH       = "arm"
TARGET_OS         = "linux-gnueabi"
MACHINE           = "overo"
DISTRO            = "angstrom"
DISTRO_VERSION    = "2011.03"
TARGET_FPU        = "hard"

NOTE: Preparing runqueue
NOTE: Executing RunQueue Tasks
NOTE: Running task 1 of 22 (ID: 10, /home/ssgonzo68/overo-oe/org.openembedded.dev/recipes/linux/linux-omap3_2.6.39.bb, do_setscene)
NOTE: package linux-omap3-2.6.39-r103: task do_setscene: Started
NOTE: package linux-omap3-2.6.39-r103: task do_setscene: Succeeded
NOTE: Running task 2 of 22 (ID: 8, /home/ssgonzo68/overo-oe/org.openembedded.dev/recipes/linux/linux-omap3_2.6.39.bb, do_fetch)
NOTE: package linux-omap3-2.6.39-r103: task do_fetch: Started
From git://www.sakoman.com/git/linux-omap-2.6
  * branch            omap-2.6.39 -> FETCH_HEAD
 fatal: failed to unpack tree object 06b1927ef6cd9c9e7456068416cdc83df5152ed2
WARNING: /home/ssgonzo68/overo-oe/bitbake/lib/bb/fetch/git.py:191: DeprecationWarning: Call to deprecated function bb.mkdirhier: Please use bb.utils.mkdirhier instead.
  bb.mkdirhier(codir)

NOTE: package linux-omap3-2.6.39-r103: task Fetch failed: Unable to fetch URL git://www.sakoman.com/git/linux-omap-2.6.git;branch=omap-2.6.39;protocol=git from any source.: Failed
ERROR: Function 'Fetch failed: Unable to fetch URL git://www.sakoman.com/git/linux-omap-2.6.git;branch=omap-2.6.39;protocol=git from any source.' failed
ERROR: Task 8 (/home/ssgonzo68/overo-oe/org.openembedded.dev/recipes/linux/linux-omap3_2.6.39.bb, do_fetch) failed with exit code '1'
ERROR: '/home/ssgonzo68/overo-oe/org.openembedded.dev/recipes/linux/linux-omap3_2.6.39.bb' failed

Can't load driver

William Johnston-2
Well I'm trying to compile a RealTek driver for a Alfa wifi unit that I
want to try out.
I get the driver from RealTek. It needs to be compiled and to compile it
I need the kernel source.
My kernel version is 2.6.35 so I download the kernel source 2.6.35.13.
I get the .config for my kernel:
zcat /pro/config.gz > .config
I change the kernel make file line:
EXTRAVERSION = .13
to:
EXTRAVERSION =
I make the kernel. There is one new feature in the .13 version that
wasn't in my kernels .config. I do not activate it.
The compiling go off with out a hitch.
I make the driver. The too compiles with out a hitch.
I check the modinfo on the driver. The vermagic matches other modules on
my Gumstix:
vermagic:       2.6.35 mod_unload modversions ARMv7

Everything seems good so far so now I try to load it:
# insmod 8192cu.ko
insmod: error inserting '8192cu.ko': -1 Invalid module format

And:
# dmesg | tail -1
8192cu: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout

@#$%!!!!!

So... I would have thought that that would have worked. Can someone tell
me what it is that I don't know?