Quantcast

Newhaven Display 3.5" TFT (NHD-3.5-320240MF-ATXL#-CTP)

Rob

Newhaven Display 3.5" TFT (NHD-3.5-320240MF-ATXL#-CTP)

Rob
I'm trying to get a 3.5" Newhaven Display working with a custom base board.  I'm having trouble with both the display and the touchscreen - they use different connectors even though they're part of the same device.  Has anyone had success in interfacing with these boards?

For the touchscreen, I'm getting the IRQ line to trigger when I touch the screen, so my driver is getting woken up, but I get an EREMOTEIO when it tries to read via the I2C.  For the screen, I tried to add an entry to the generic panel driver and that seems to be found, but right now the screen is completely dark.

Rob
Rob

Re: Newhaven Display 3.5" TFT (NHD-3.5-320240MF-ATXL#-CTP)

Rob
I got this to work and can make the code available to anyone interested.  For someone trying to DIY (do it yourself), key issues for me were that the I2C address of the ft5x06 touch screen controller was 0x38, not 0x70 as listed in its manual. 0x70 = 0x38 << 1 - the manual showed what it would be like as transmitted since the read/write bit follows the 7 bit address.

For the LCD, the generic panel LCD driver did work with appropriate changes to the timing.  However, it is important to keep the /Reset line high during operation.  Assuming you are driving the LED +/- inputs, all you'll get is a blank white screen (backlight only on) if you leave it low.  Also, the LCD is configured such that it does not need the data enable (DE) line to be used, but runs solely off the horizontal sync, vertical sync, and data clock lines.

I did not implement the configuration interface which is similar to I2C, but isn't the same, and looks like it would require using GPIO lines to get to work.  I left the device in its default configuration.

Re: Newhaven Display 3.5" TFT (NHD-3.5-320240MF-ATXL#-CTP)

instcff
I am also interested in driving the same capacitive touch panel. It will be very helpful if you share the codes.