Quantcast

Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?

123

Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?

Adam Read
Good evening all,

Well, I've been beating my head against this wall for a while now, and
concede that it now hurts quite a lot. Before we go any further, I'm a
complete muppet/newbie when it comes to Linux and Overo, and I'm trying
to learn Linux in a hurry so no doubt I'll come unstuck. That aside,
however.....

I purchased an Overo Water and Tobi board about a month ago, but hadn't
done all that much to it, beyond connecting to it via the USB console
port, and trying to get a bootable micro SDCARD working (it still
doesn't). I had not attempted to connect it to a monitor until
yesterday, as I was just checking to see what the console looked like.
The monitor remains blank even though the Overo has power applied to it,
so I don't know if this is a new thing from my playing or not.

I have tried, multiple times, to build the bootable SDcard from the
sakoman website, but it hasn't worked yet. Having downloaded the 429Mb
(roughly) file some dozen times, I must admit I'm getting pretty weary
of it all, and I don't have the knowledge or experience to tell it to
use previously downloaded copies.

Anyways, I now have two problems, and I'm really hoping someone can
point me in the right direction.

First, the Overo gives me an error over the console when it reaches the
overo login part - "JFFS2 notice: (965) check_node_data: wrong data CRC
in data node at 0x19a7e4c4: read 0x9ae87ba3, calculated 0x72b03a51."
This is a new development on the board, and has only been occuring the
last hour or so. As far as I know, the bootable sdcard hasn't actually
been working correctly, could this have hosed the overo?

Second, I keep getting an "improper  partitioning on /dev/mmcblk0"
message when I try to run Steve Sakoman's mksdcard.sh script. I'm
guessing I need a new sdcard, that or I've done something wrong.

Any help would be appreciated, and if anyone needs further information
then please let me know what commands to plug into the console (remember
that I have absolutely no idea).

Cheers,
Adam.

Re: Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?

Blaine Booher
Did you ever actually flash the overo? Booting from the card does not flash it, it's only a temporary boot unless you did other measures to permanently flash the software into the overo.

Without the SD card plugged in, does it boot correctly?

Blaine

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 6:30 AM, Adam Read <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

araasch
Your sd card may have a partial filesystem on it that is stopping the
great Sakoman script from properly creating what it needs to.

To solve this, use the linux dd utility to zero out the first part of
the sd card.

You will need to know the linux device name for the entire sd card to do this.

If you are at all unsure of yourself in this regard, don't continue as
you can be left with an unbootable desktop linux box if you mess this
up.

To determine what your device name is, type dmesg without the sd card
inserted to familiarize yourself with the section at the end of what
dmesg outputs, then insert the sd card.

Wait a few seconds for the system to attempt to mount the sd card and
issue another dmesg.

You will see something refering to sdb or sdc etc. at the end of the
output that dmeg gave you the second time.

You can also type mount before and after and look for new device names.

Be aware that mount will show /dev/sdb1 meaning the first partition on
device /dev/sdb for instance.

You would want to use /dev/sdb to dd to in this case.

Do this very carefully, as dd must be ran as root and you can just as
easily remove your filesystem on your linux box.

The command to wipe the first part of your sd card is:

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/whatever_your_sd_card_device_name_is
bs=1024 count=1048576

This will erase the first one gig of your sd card, totally wiping the
partition table and any remnants of partially formed filesystems that
may be on the first part of the sd card.

*DO GET THE DEVICE NAME RIGHT, THOUGH*, or you will be sorry.

Then, use the Sakoman script to make the new image on the sd card.

Don't be in a big hurry to remove the sd card from the machine when
the script says it has finished, however.

In a perfect world, you could, but this is not a perfect world.

Linux is a buffering system, it is possible that information is still
being sent by the host pc to the sd card, so give it some extra time
to be safe.

You can safely issue these commands to indicate to the linux box you
want to eject the device safely:

sudu sync
sudu eject /dev/whatever_your_sd_card_device_name_is

But, even after the system indicates that it has completed these
tasks, still don't get in a hurry to remove the sd card from the
system.

There is a tiny microcontroller inside the sd card as well as the sd
card writer that can do a limited amount of buffering, give them some
time to finish writing.  (It can't hurt to wait a bit).

These steps have made the difference in working bootable sd cards and
ones that won't boot for me.

Note: The sustained write speed of sd cards is a lot slower than one
would expect given the speed ratings as shown on the sd card package.
(marketing at its best)

To see what speed your sd card is capable of being written to, and to
give yourself something to do when it is zeroing out the first gig of
your sd card, you can tell dd to indicate its progress to you by
sending it a USR1 signal.

In another terminal window on your linux pc type:

ps ax | grep d[d]

The number on the left of the line is the dd process id.

To tell dd you want a progress update, type the following in the same
window you did the ps command in:
kill -USR1 dd_process_id

Look in the window that dd is running in for an update of its prgress
and the speed it is able to write to the sd card.

Also, do remember to erase the overo NAND area as indicated in the wiki.

Good luck.
-Arlen

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Blaine <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Did you ever actually flash the overo? Booting from the card does not flash
> it, it's only a temporary boot unless you did other measures
> to permanently flash the software into the overo.
>
> Without the SD card plugged in, does it boot correctly?
>
> Blaine
>

> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 6:30 AM, Adam Read <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Good evening all,
>>
>> Well, I've been beating my head against this wall for a while now, and
>> concede that it now hurts quite a lot. Before we go any further, I'm a
>> complete muppet/newbie when it comes to Linux and Overo, and I'm trying
>> to learn Linux in a hurry so no doubt I'll come unstuck. That aside,
>> however.....
>>
>> I purchased an Overo Water and Tobi board about a month ago, but hadn't
>> done all that much to it, beyond connecting to it via the USB console
>> port, and trying to get a bootable micro SDCARD working (it still
>> doesn't). I had not attempted to connect it to a monitor until
>> yesterday, as I was just checking to see what the console looked like.
>> The monitor remains blank even though the Overo has power applied to it,
>> so I don't know if this is a new thing from my playing or not.
>>
>> I have tried, multiple times, to build the bootable SDcard from the
>> sakoman website, but it hasn't worked yet. Having downloaded the 429Mb
>> (roughly) file some dozen times, I must admit I'm getting pretty weary
>> of it all, and I don't have the knowledge or experience to tell it to
>> use previously downloaded copies.
>>
>> Anyways, I now have two problems, and I'm really hoping someone can
>> point me in the right direction.
>>
>> First, the Overo gives me an error over the console when it reaches the
>> overo login part - "JFFS2 notice: (965) check_node_data: wrong data CRC
>> in data node at 0x19a7e4c4: read 0x9ae87ba3, calculated 0x72b03a51."
>> This is a new development on the board, and has only been occuring the
>> last hour or so. As far as I know, the bootable sdcard hasn't actually
>> been working correctly, could this have hosed the overo?
>>
>> Second, I keep getting an "improper  partitioning on /dev/mmcblk0"
>> message when I try to run Steve Sakoman's mksdcard.sh script. I'm
>> guessing I need a new sdcard, that or I've done something wrong.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated, and if anyone needs further information
>> then please let me know what commands to plug into the console (remember
>> that I have absolutely no idea).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adam.

Re: Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?

Adam Read
Good afternoon,

Well, after a great deal of fun, I discovered that there is nothing
wrong with the Sakoman script (no surprises there, really, it always had
to be a problem right here in this seat!). Instead, I was rather
intrigued to find that it was a problem related to the SDCard slot on my
old laptop. Note the "old" part - I am now running Linux on my newer
laptop (roughly 12 months old) and I was able to make the SDCard work
correctly. Of course, I did buy another SDCard for confirmatory
purposes, to ensure I hadn't killed my original card (I hadn't).

I still have to replace my power supply, and the Overo still gets pretty
warm, but I'm running it with the old power supply atm with no problems
and I've got the Overo sitting right above the 20cm exhaust fan of my
main (Windoze) machine, so keeping it cool is now less of a problem.

Thanks to Blaine and Arlen for their suggestions.

Adam.

On 12/01/2012 7:03 AM, Arlen Raasch wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Anyways, I now have two problems, and I'm really hoping someone can
>>> point me in the right direction.
>>>
>>> First, the Overo gives me an error over the console when it reaches the
>>> overo login part - "JFFS2 notice: (965) check_node_data: wrong data CRC
>>> in data node at 0x19a7e4c4: read 0x9ae87ba3, calculated 0x72b03a51."
>>> This is a new development on the board, and has only been occuring the
>>> last hour or so. As far as I know, the bootable sdcard hasn't actually
>>> been working correctly, could this have hosed the overo?
>>>
>>> Second, I keep getting an "improper  partitioning on /dev/mmcblk0"
>>> message when I try to run Steve Sakoman's mksdcard.sh script. I'm
>>> guessing I need a new sdcard, that or I've done something wrong.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated, and if anyone needs further information
>>> then please let me know what commands to plug into the console (remember

Gutembert
Good day everyone,

I am trying to boot my Water COM on Tobi expansion board without the SD card plugged in, by using the picocom command (picocom -b 115200 /dev/ttyUSB0). But it takes forever and doesn't boot! and the Overo gets pretty warm!!!!

This is the Power supply I am using:  and I set it to 4.5V.

Anny suggestion???

Thank you,
Gutembert.

Re: Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?

zoso1234
Hello

Are you just booting from sdcard or did you flash? I am assuming you are assuming using that image with DSP you made :) From my own experience with console-dsp images is that they take forever to boot from sd card initially. If you are using standard u-boot where it outputs every thing you can see that it has to configure a ton of modules..you should get to a point in the boot up like this:
Configuring update-modules.
Configuring kernel-image-3.0.0.
This is for me what takes forever(10 minutes or more maybe)! What I found was that if this stuff is not standard output you might run into a module with an error and you won't notice it and the boot up won't finish. Sometimes you can skip an error by doing ctrl-c and it will move on to next one. not always though.

I have no idea about your pwr source though..I use the one that they recommend. Also I use kermit instead of picocom.

Side note: For your dsp image..I believe you said you used 2.6.34 kernel..did you run into issues where it outputs : preferred version “2.6.34” of linux-omap3 not available for kernel? I have tried switching repo's and I still get this when trying to build the omap3-console-image.

thanks and good luck!

Re: Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?

Gutembert
My bad!!!!!

I misused my power supply! I swapped the + & - polarity reason why it got warm and the Overo COM as well.

Regrading your question"preferred version “2.6.34” of linux-omap3 not available for kernel?" yes I got the same output.

I am trying to figure out how to create a bootable microSD Card for Omap3-console-image (u-boot, kernel), x-load (MLO), and the dsp-console-image on the same microSD Card. I got instruction here:http://www.gumstix.org/create-a-bootable-microsd-card.html but nothing is mentioned about the dsp image!!!

Alex, after building the dsp-console-image, I got the dsp-console-image-overo.tar.bz2 and  the dsp-console-image-overo.ubi; which one of these two images did you use to boot your dsp image?

Please Alex if possible, send me the instructions that you used to create your bootable microSD Card for the dsp image.

Thanks,
Gutembert.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 6:07 PM, zoso1234 [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Newb-have-I-killed-my-Overo-Water-tp3534418p4679377.html
To unsubscribe from Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?, click here.

Re: Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?

zoso1234
I have never thought of putting two images onto SD card..I'm not sure if that can be done..

regarding the bootable sd card once you create the two partitions  (boot section FAT32 and rootfs ext3 ) you just copy MLO(first!) and u-boot.bin, and uImage into boot-naming matters. then cd into rootfs and untar your dsp image onto it. I can send you the commands I did to create the bootable sd card but they are pretty standard and follow closely with the doc's on gumstix.net and sakoman.

If your uImage/u-boot.bin and rootfs are expecting different kernels you are going to run into issues. When I leave preferred version out of the local.conf every thing builds to the 3.0 kernel and it works okay (except for desktop build) but when I try 2.6.34 the kernel is getting matched to 3.0 but rootfs wants something else.

Also if you have messed around with the u-boot environment-which you need to do in order to give memory to the dsp. you might consider nand erase command..which resets your u-boot environment-I would only do this if when you put everything on the two sections(boot and rootfs) and try booting you don't get much output(do modules get listed?)..and maybe consider doing this with a prebuilt image(MLO,u-boot.bin,uImage and rootfs) just in case there are issues with yours files.

here is the command for nand erase:

Overo # nand erase 240000 20000

NAND erase: device 0 offset 0x240000, size 0x20000
Erasing at 0x240000 -- 100% complete.
OK

Overo # reset
resetting ...

Steve(not alex :) )

Re: Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?

Gutembert
Thank you Steve*

I'm running in a situation where I'm using a USB card reader to connect my 16G microSD Card to the development machine (PC). when I use the mount or df command, no names such as /dev/mmcblk0p1 or /dev/sde1 appear; only /dev/sda5 appears under "dev" directory. But when I manually open the "dev" directory, I can figure out that sdb, sdc, sdd, sde, sg2, sg3, sg4, and sg5 are added to the directory (dev) and if I disconnect the USB card reader, these (sdb, sdc, sdd, sde, sg2, sg3, sg4, and sg5) disappear from the "dev" directory. I tried to follow http://www.gumstix.org/create-a-bootable-microsd-card.html but when applied to sdb, sdc, sdd, and sde, it says No medium found however when applied to sg2, sg3, sg4, and sg5, I got this picture here attached with a warning saying "partition 1 extends past end of disk".

Is there a way to merge sg2 ... sg5 to sg such that the disk size could be enough to handle booth partitions?

An suggestion is welcome,
Gutembert.

PS. Steve I am sorry for giving you a wrong name.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 9:40 PM, zoso1234 [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Newb-have-I-killed-my-Overo-Water-tp3534418p4679944.html
To unsubscribe from Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?, click here.
NAML

partition.png (186K) Download Attachment

Re: Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?

zoso1234
You need to be careful with what you are partitioning. You def. want to be very certain that you don't attempt to overwrite on your harddrive. If you are starting with a non-bootable sd card.. I would follow something like this:
first with card not in: do "mount" see everything that is mounted..then put card in run mount again..see if you notice anything..nothing should change i think if its not bootable..i think. If you are using usb card reader like I am I think it should be /dev/sdb? So I do "sudo fdisk /dev/sdb"
then hit "p" which will print the current paritions. hit "m" for menu..
..then if you want to start new and want to delete current partitions hit "d" then the number parition..do this for all.(I would do this for all)
then hit "x" enter expert mode so you can change the number of heads,sectors and cylinders which you should look at gumstix.net or sakoman for an explanation...once done with that hit "r" and return to normal..

then something like this:

Command (m for help): n
Command action
   e   extended
   p   primary partition (1-4)
Partition number (1-4): 1
First cylinder (1-965, default 1): 1  **your cylinder size will be different for each SD CARD
Last cylinder, +cylinders or +size{K,M,G} (1-965, default 965): +64M

Command (m for help): t
Selected partition 1
Hex code (type L to list codes): c
Changed system type of partition 1 to c (W95 FAT32 (LBA))

Command (m for help): a
Partition number (1-4): 1

Command (m for help): n
Command action
   e   extended
   p   primary partition (1-4)
Partition number (1-4): 2
First cylinder (10-965, default 10):    ***this will be different for different size SD CARDS!!!!!
Using default value 10
Last cylinder, +cylinders or +size{K,M,G} (10-965, default 965):   **DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU CALC'd
Using default value 965

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sdb: 7945 MB, 7945060352 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 965 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1   *           1           9       72261    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sdb2              10         965     7679070   83  Linux

Command (m for help): w

visnav@visnav-desktop:~$ sudo mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/sdb1 -n BOOT

visnav@visnav-desktop:~$ sudo mkfs.ext3 -L LINUX /dev/sdb2

hopefully that helps a little..I followed pretty much exactly what was on either gumstix.net or sakoman..i'm pretty sure..It took me a few tries to figure it out..good luck!

Also..I did finally get past the kernel 2.6.34 issue..I had to checkout different org.openembedded..
cd org.openembedded.dev
git checkout --track -b overo origin/overo

then when going to openembedded/recipes/linux I finally have an omap3-2.6.34 folder ..was able to build console image after a few errors..pretty small ones though..today i Finally got a nand-desktop-image built but have yet to test it on my waterstorm..hopefully it works

Re: Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?

Gutembert
Thanks Steve,

Congrats, for getting around the 2.6.34 kernel.

I tried to follow your instructions in order to get passed the kernel issue too but having error as displayed bellow or look at the file here attached.

nganpet@nganpet-PROLINE-DQ35JOE:~/overo-oe/org.openembedded.dev$ git checkout --track -b overo origin/overo
error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by checkout:
    conf/distro/include/angstrom-2008-preferred-versions.inc
Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can switch branches.
Aborting
nganpet@nganpet-PROLINE-DQ35JOE:~/overo-oe/org.openembedded.dev$

I also tried to change
PREFERRED_VERSION_autoconf = "2.65"
PREFERRED_VERSION_autoconf-native = "2.65"

to 2.6.34 still no success. Any idea?

Regards,
Gutembert.

http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Newb-have-I-killed-my-Overo-Water-tp3534418p4683835.html

checkout.png (271K) Download Attachment

Re: Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?

zoso1234
hmmm I did not run into anything like that..but I guess when I did it I started from scratch. I followed pretty much all the steps on the gumstix.net tutorial but checked out a different open.embedded. Did you make mods to the angst-2008-perf-versions before hand? I made changes to the 2010 one I think..for the TI stuff.also why are you changing autoconf? what does that do? The only mod I made was to the local.conf adding the preferred version of 2.6.34..what i would do is check the recipes folder under linux folder and see if there is a linux-omap3-2.6.24 folder. If the checkout went well there should be one.

- On a side note I have not yet been able to boot the 2.6.34 image..its driving me mad! I just deleted my tmp folder and rebuilt it again to see if it will work..I'll let you know how it goes. I might revert back to the 3.0 kernel

Steve

Re: Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?

Simon Knopp
Just to jump in here…

On 4/04/2012, at 11:57 PM, Gutembert wrote:

nganpet@nganpet-PROLINE-DQ35JOE:~/overo-oe/org.openembedded.dev$ git checkout --track -b overo origin/overo
error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by checkout:
    conf/distro/include/angstrom-2008-preferred-versions.inc
Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can switch branches.
Aborting

You can only switch branches if your working directory has no uncommitted changes. This message is just git telling you that you've made changes that you haven't committed. If you commit them or run `git stash` and try the checkout again it'll work.

Simon.

Re: Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?

Gutembert
Ok Steve,

I did not start from scratch maybe the reason I ran into that.
I made mods to the angst-2008-perf-versions after and before hand but getting the same error.
In my recipes folder under linux, I had a folder called "linux-omap3-2.6.34-psp04.00.00.06".

Regarding your kernel (3.0), did you set it in your "profile" file located at overo-oe/build/ ? or the images bitbaked come with the kernel 3.0?
May I please have a look of your file (profile) located at: overo-oe/build/ ?

Regards,
Gutembert.

http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Newb-have-I-killed-my-Overo-Water-tp3534418p4687290.html
To unsubscribe from Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?, click here.

Re: Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?

Gutembert
Thanks Simon,

I will look at that.

Thank you,
Gutembert.

http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Newb-have-I-killed-my-Overo-Water-tp3534418p4687789.html
To unsubscribe from Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?, click here.

Re: Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?

Gutembert
Hi there,

I follow the instructions given here: www.gumstix.org/connect-to-my-gumstix-system.html but having this issue: "Note: If you see the boot messages, but are unable to enter the login info, it is very likely that you neglected to disable hardware flow control in your terminal emulator setup". how would I disable hardware flow control in my terminal emulator setup? Is it different from "set flow-control none"?

Thanks,
Gutembert.

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Gutembert nganpet <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Step me through what you do for boot..
-take mountable sd card- put mlo,u-boot.bin,uImage on boot and untar image onto rootfs part
what is your next step...do you have tobi board? what are you plugging into..console usb to your desktop?
if so
then what I do is:
kermit -l /dev/ttyUSB0
set flow-control none
set carrier-watch off
set speed 115200
connect

then plug power into gumstix

If you have not done this before I would start with prebuilt image just so you know for sure that it will work..then I would move on to your own image..

Re: Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?

Gutembert
Steve, I was trying to boot from the NAND (without) SD Card before moving (inserting) to the SD Card!!!

Should I just go straight by inserting the SD Card??

Thanks,
Gutembert.

http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Newb-have-I-killed-my-Overo-Water-tp3534418p4689828.html
To unsubscribe from Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?, click here.

Re: Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?

Gutembert
Steve,

This what I got with the SD Card inserted:

** Unable to read "boot.scr" from mmc 0:1 **
reading uImage
�tصb�$U
             @ @ @QT,0@ @ @

Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.5.1 (Mar  8 2012 - 23:16:04)
OMAP3530-GP ES3.1
Board revision: 1
Reading boot sector

U-Boot 2011.09 (Feb 29 2012 - 05:36:13)

OMAP3530-GP ES3.1, CPU-OPP2, L3-165MHz, Max CPU Clock 720 mHz
Gumstix Overo board + LPDDR/NAND
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  512 MiB
NAND:  512 MiB
MMC:   OMAP SD/MMC: 0
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Board revision: 1
Direct connection on mmc2
No EEPROM on expansion board
Die ID #647600040000000004037f660700700a
Net:   smc911x-0
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
reading boot.scr

It keeps looping indefinitely!!

OMAP3.png (134K) Download Attachment

Re: Newb: have I killed my Overo Water?

zoso1234
Well I don't have much experience with flashing nand..so personally I'd say yes. It's pretty easy doing sd card i think..just put the files on (in correct order) then do what I wrote above or whatever your normal boot up procedure is..then power on and boom your up and running. I use the waterstorm so I have to use different MLO than you I think for water...but I would say get a prebuilt image first..put it on your card..then when you get chance stop boot procedure(hit a button when countdown starts..) then do the nand erase command...sometimes your u-boot environment can not be set up right and sometimes they are not set up right to begin with. This is only what I do..and maybe its not the best way for you and considering I've only been at this for a couple of months there might be a better way
123