Quantcast

New Verdex boots, serial output observed, but no serial input

New Verdex boots, serial output observed, but no serial input

Robert Dodier
Administrator
Hello,

I am attempting to work with a Verdex board via a serial connector.
When I power on the Verdex, I see the boot messages (via Minicom
or Hyperterminal) and eventually it comes to the login prompt.
That's good. However at this point, anything I type is not recognized
by the Gumstix. Characters are not echoed and the Gumstix does not
print any further output to suggest it saw some input.

Pretty much the same thing happens at the U-boot prompt.
If I press the space bar within the first two seconds of booting,
I get the U-boot prompt. So it did see that I pressed the space bar.
But anything further that I type is not recognized.

In case it matters, this Verdex board is a replacement
(originally shipped Verdex didn't boot at all).

Same hardware and software and procedure has the expected
result (input is recognized) with several other Verdex and
Connex boards.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Robert Dodier

Re: New Verdex boots, serial output observed, but no serial input

Dave Hylands
Hi Robert,

> I am attempting to work with a Verdex board via a serial connector.
> When I power on the Verdex, I see the boot messages (via Minicom
> or Hyperterminal) and eventually it comes to the login prompt.
> That's good. However at this point, anything I type is not recognized
> by the Gumstix. Characters are not echoed and the Gumstix does not
> print any further output to suggest it saw some input.
>
> Pretty much the same thing happens at the U-boot prompt.
> If I press the space bar within the first two seconds of booting,
> I get the U-boot prompt. So it did see that I pressed the space bar.
> But anything further that I type is not recognized.
>
> In case it matters, this Verdex board is a replacement
> (originally shipped Verdex didn't boot at all).
>
> Same hardware and software and procedure has the expected
> result (input is recognized) with several other Verdex and
> Connex boards.

OK - so you have a verdex/console that doesn't work, and a verdex
console that does.

Swap the console boards around. If the problem moves with the console
board, you have a bad console board. Otherwise you havea bad verdex.

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: New Verdex boots, serial output observed, but no serial input

Robert Dodier
Administrator
Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

I have one Tweener board which I am using to connect Connex and Verdex
boards to a PC via the serial port. Most boards work OK but one Verdex
board doesn't seem to recognize input, although I can see output from it.
Same Tweener is used to connect all motherboards (one at a time).

Sorry if it's still not clear; I'll try again so long as there is some interest.

best

Robert Dodier

Re: New Verdex boots, serial output observed, but no serial input

Dave Hylands
HI Robert,

> Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.
>
> I have one Tweener board which I am using to connect Connex and Verdex
> boards to a PC via the serial port. Most boards work OK but one Verdex
> board doesn't seem to recognize input, although I can see output from it.
> Same Tweener is used to connect all motherboards (one at a time).
>
> Sorry if it's still not clear; I'll try again so long as there is some
> interest.

So, I've had a similar issue where one of my Tweener would only work
with certain motherboards and not others. But I could plug the
motherboards that didn't work into other console boards and it would
work fine.

My theory is that some of the pins on the hirose are out of tolerance.
If you have a magnifier, check the pins on the hirose connector on the
motherboard and see if any look like they're bent or otherwise
different from the rest.

If you have another tweener or some other console board, I'd recommend
swapping some components around.

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: New Verdex boots, serial output observed, but no serial input

Paul Holzworth
You might want to double check and make sure that flow control is off on your terminal program.  It sounds as if your terminal program is flow off'd and therefore doesn't send (other than the first key).  I don't know why this would vary between boards but it is simple to verify and worth double checking.

Paul Holzworth