Quantcast

Multiple gumstix overos shipped with different OMAP processors..

Multiple gumstix overos shipped with different OMAP processors..

Louis Morda
We ordered ten gumstix overos and two stagecoach expansion boards.  Most of the gumstix overos are running OMAP3503-GP ES3.1 processors.  A couple of them are running OMAP36XX/37XX-GP ES2.1 processors.  These part numbers were read from the boot output.  My question is, how does this affect us?  Do we need to have separate images for the two different processors?  Specifically the boot binaries?  The reason why I ask is because the overos with OMAP36XX/37XX processors are not booting correctly.  They do not boot most of the time.  I usually have to hit the reset button atleast ten times before they will come up.  I did a diff on the overos booting everytime and the overos hardly booting and and the only differences are the lines listing OMAP information.  Attached are two boot output files.  I flashed both overos with new images as per the instructions on the wiki.

Gumstix not booting
Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.5.0 (Aug 29 2011 - 12:52:49)
OMAP36XX/37XX-GP ES2.1
Board revision: 1

U-Boot 2010.12 (Aug 22 2011 - 09:49:35)

Gumstix booting correctly
Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.5.0 (Aug 29 2011 - 12:52:49)
OMAP3503-GP ES3.1
Board revision: 1

U-Boot 2010.12 (Aug 22 2011 - 09:49:35)

Boots_Everytime.txt (20K) Download Attachment
Boots_Rarely.txt (20K) Download Attachment

Re: Multiple gumstix overos shipped with different OMAP processors..

Ash Charles
Can you try the 'mlo-updated' file from here
http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/factory/2011-08-30-1058/

in place of the regular MLO?

-Ash
On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Lou Morda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We ordered ten gumstix overos and two stagecoach expansion boards.  Most of
> the gumstix overos are running OMAP3503-GP ES3.1 processors.  A couple of
> them are running OMAP36XX/37XX-GP ES2.1 processors.  These part numbers were
> read from the boot output.  My question is, how does this affect us?  Do we
> need to have separate images for the two different processors?  Specifically
> the boot binaries?  The reason why I ask is because the overos with
> OMAP36XX/37XX processors are not booting correctly.  They do not boot most
> of the time.  I usually have to hit the reset button atleast ten times
> before they will come up.  I did a diff on the overos booting everytime and
> the overos hardly booting and and the only differences are the lines listing
> OMAP information.  Attached are two boot output files.  I flashed both
> overos with new images as per the instructions on the wiki.
>
> Gumstix not booting
> Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.5.0 (Aug 29 2011 - 12:52:49)
> OMAP36XX/37XX-GP ES2.1
> Board revision: 1
>
> U-Boot 2010.12 (Aug 22 2011 - 09:49:35)
>
> Gumstix booting correctly
> Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.5.0 (Aug 29 2011 - 12:52:49)
> OMAP3503-GP ES3.1
> Board revision: 1
>
> U-Boot 2010.12 (Aug 22 2011 - 09:49:35)

Re: Multiple gumstix overos shipped with different OMAP processors..

Brent
I don't have a solution off hand, but one thing to note is that the 1GHz 36XX/37XX COMs are the new STORM version of whatever they are.  The 35XX is the standard line.  I haven't looked into how to run one vs the other, but this should be some help.

- Brent

Re: Multiple gumstix overos shipped with different OMAP processors..

Louis Morda
Ash,

'mlo-updated'  in place of the regular MLO fixed my problem.  Just so you know the 'mlo-updated' did not work on the older processor.  I had to use the regular MLO on those gumstix.  So I will keep two separate MLO files, one for the OMAP3503 (MLO Aug 27) and one for the OMAP36xx (MLO Sep 16).  Thanks for your help.

Processor:
OMAP36XX/37XX-GP ES2.1

Download:
http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/factory/2011-08-30-1058/mlo-updated

Boot output message:
Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.5.0 (Sep 16 2011 - 12:10:02)

Processor:
OMAP3503-GP ES3.1

Boot output message:
Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.5.0 (Aug 29 2011 - 12:52:49)

Re: Multiple gumstix overos shipped with different OMAP processors..

ashcharles
Note, updating to this latest MLO should also fix some of the '40W'
problems reported.
Older MLOs could get caught.

-Ash

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Louis Morda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ash,
>
> 'mlo-updated'  in place of the regular MLO fixed my problem.  Just so you
> know the 'mlo-updated' did not work on the older processor.  I had to use
> the regular MLO on those gumstix.  So I will keep two separate MLO files,
> one for the OMAP3503 (MLO Aug 27) and one for the OMAP36xx (MLO Sep 16).
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Processor:
> OMAP36XX/37XX-GP ES2.1
>
> Download:
> http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/factory/2011-08-30-1058/mlo-updated
>
> Boot output message:
> Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.5.0 (Sep 16 2011 - 12:10:02)
>
> Processor:
> OMAP3503-GP ES3.1
>
> Download:
> http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/factory/2011-08-30-1058/MLO
>
> Boot output message:
> Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.5.0 (Aug 29 2011 - 12:52:49)

Re: Multiple gumstix overos shipped with different OMAP processors..

nikkadim
Louis,

Where did you get the MLO for OMAP3503 at Aug 27?

--
Nikolay