Missing webcam support from dizzy

Tom Mises
It seems that Dizzy is missing webcam support. I do not see the
uvcvideo module in the images, and as far I can tell, also defconfig
does not have the relevant configuration.

Is this intentional? I imagine lots of users require UVC support, so I
was surprised to see this gone.

Tom

Re: Missing webcam support from dizzy

adam
Hi Tom, unfortunately webcam support is not something we regularly test.
Have you tried building a new kernel and modules with USB_G_WEBCAM enabled?

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 9:42 PM, Tom Mises <[hidden email]> wrote:
It seems that Dizzy is missing webcam support. I do not see the
uvcvideo module in the images, and as far I can tell, also defconfig
does not have the relevant configuration.

Is this intentional? I imagine lots of users require UVC support, so I
was surprised to see this gone.

Tom

Re: Missing webcam support from dizzy

Ash Charles
Hey Tom,

Not intentional! Thanks for posting so we could fix the omission.

I've pushed kernel support [1] and made some handy camera utilities
available for 'smart install' [2]. I had three webcams on hand: two
spitting out JPEG-encoded video and one producing raw YUYV (aka YUY2)
and MPEG. To check the supported output formats:
$ v4l2-ctl --list-formats

To grab a picture, I tried
$ smart install cheese
$ cheese
<click to take a photo>

I tried streaming directly from the JPEG cameras.  Note that my host
ip is 192.168.1.132 and my webcam came up on /dev/video0.
<on gumstix>
$ gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! 'image/jpeg' ! rtpjpegpay !
udpsink host=192.168.1.132 port=5000
<on host>
$ gst-launch udpsrc port=5000 ! 'application/x-rtp,
encoding-name=JPEG,payload=26' ! rtpjpegdepay ! jpegdec !
autovideosink

I fired off a build [3] so, all proceeding well, a pre-built image
will show up in the 'All Software' section [4] (~8 hours). Note, these
fixes show up on the 'dev' branch [5] and will filter back to 'dizzy'
next time we sync (every couple weeks typically).

Let me know if this resolves the issue for you.

Cheers,
--Ash
[1] https://github.com/gumstix/meta-gumstix/commit/ed449141352ed79f64a1dc62caa6191556e333a3
[2] https://github.com/gumstix/meta-gumstix-extras/commit/64f6cd597072508dfc765a123cd6bcc11b988f72
[3] https://buildbot.gumstix.com/builders/yocto-overo-dev/builds/116
[4] https://catalina.gumstix.com/binaries/?sort=-last_updated
[5] https://github.com/gumstix/yocto-manifest/tree/dev

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 9:42 PM, Tom Mises <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It seems that Dizzy is missing webcam support. I do not see the
> uvcvideo module in the images, and as far I can tell, also defconfig
> does not have the relevant configuration.
>
> Is this intentional? I imagine lots of users require UVC support, so I
> was surprised to see this gone.
>
> Tom

Re: Missing webcam support from dizzy

Tom Mises
Hi Ash,

I have used the new build and UVC is working for me now. However, I
ran into a problem with installing some packages which used to install
just fine for Daisy. When I try to install
packagegroup-core-buildessential or opencv-dev, it gets stuck on
"Computing transaction...". For the former package, I finally
installed the individual packages in this bundle one by one and it
seems to be automake and autoconf which are causing problems.

I have an unrelated problem with USB performance for an industrial
camera which I use. That was actually the reason why I wanted to test
the newer kernel. I will write a separate post.

Thanks,

Tom

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 3:37 PM, Ash Charles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Tom,
>
> Not intentional! Thanks for posting so we could fix the omission.
>
> I've pushed kernel support [1] and made some handy camera utilities
> available for 'smart install' [2]. I had three webcams on hand: two
> spitting out JPEG-encoded video and one producing raw YUYV (aka YUY2)
> and MPEG. To check the supported output formats:
> $ v4l2-ctl --list-formats
>
> To grab a picture, I tried
> $ smart install cheese
> $ cheese
> <click to take a photo>
>
> I tried streaming directly from the JPEG cameras.  Note that my host
> ip is 192.168.1.132 and my webcam came up on /dev/video0.
> <on gumstix>
> $ gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! 'image/jpeg' ! rtpjpegpay !
> udpsink host=192.168.1.132 port=5000
> <on host>
> $ gst-launch udpsrc port=5000 ! 'application/x-rtp,
> encoding-name=JPEG,payload=26' ! rtpjpegdepay ! jpegdec !
> autovideosink
>
> I fired off a build [3] so, all proceeding well, a pre-built image
> will show up in the 'All Software' section [4] (~8 hours). Note, these
> fixes show up on the 'dev' branch [5] and will filter back to 'dizzy'
> next time we sync (every couple weeks typically).
>
> Let me know if this resolves the issue for you.
>
> Cheers,
> --Ash
> [1] https://github.com/gumstix/meta-gumstix/commit/ed449141352ed79f64a1dc62caa6191556e333a3
> [2] https://github.com/gumstix/meta-gumstix-extras/commit/64f6cd597072508dfc765a123cd6bcc11b988f72
> [3] https://buildbot.gumstix.com/builders/yocto-overo-dev/builds/116
> [4] https://catalina.gumstix.com/binaries/?sort=-last_updated
> [5] https://github.com/gumstix/yocto-manifest/tree/dev
>
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 9:42 PM, Tom Mises <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It seems that Dizzy is missing webcam support. I do not see the
>> uvcvideo module in the images, and as far I can tell, also defconfig
>> does not have the relevant configuration.
>>
>> Is this intentional? I imagine lots of users require UVC support, so I
>> was surprised to see this gone.
>>
>> Tom

Re: Missing webcam support from dizzy

Ash Charles
Glad to hear that at least the camera is working for you.
I just double-checked to make sure the opencv-dev package is at least
getting built and it looks to be there so that's a good start.

--Ash