Quantcast

MicroSD I/O Errors

Bperteet
Hi:

We've been using IronSTORM COMs in our products for the past year or so and have been using Sandisk Ultra 8GB MicroSD cards (UHS-1).  These cards have been pretty solid.  We have started looking at the 16GB version but have observed MMC I/O errors on boot but only while the card is at room temperature or colder.  Using canned air, I can make the cards break everytime. When the card is warmed up, the errors go away.

Here is an example of said errors:

mmcblk0: error -110 sending status command, retrying
mmcblk0: error -110 sending status command, retrying
mmcblk0: error -110 sending status command, aborting
end_request: I/O error, dev mmcblk0, sector 7020616

I am currently running kernel 3.2 on Angstrom 2011.03 (build using the last OpenEmbedded classic recipes for Gumstix).

A few things I've tried:

- tested several different samples of the 16GB Sandisk cards purchased at different times from different locations.

I have been able to get 6 of 8 of them to fail consistently right out of the package on the Gumstix.  I was also able to get them to fail in a USB/MicroSD adapter connected to a Ubuntu 12.04 desktop.  Interestingly, I wasn't able to get them to break on Windows doing the same test

- set DTO value to 0xe to increase the timeout limit

- slowed the CLK rate down to 400kHz.  The system took forever to boot, but it did eventually throw the i/o errors.

I don't recall ever seeing this in the past with smaller cards.  I don't know if it's just a coincidence that the cards happen to be larger, or if Sandisk has just changed something in the controller that will not start to appear on all new batches of cards.

Does anyone have any insight into what is going on here? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks,

Brent

Re: MicroSD I/O Errors

dbrisbois
Has anyone else seen this issue?  I see periodic failures with SanDisk Ultra 32GB microSD cards.  It only seems to happen when the cards are below room temperature...

Re: MicroSD I/O Errors

Bperteet
I bought several SanDisk 16GB class 4 cards and haven't yet been able to reproduce the problem.

In production, we are still using SanDisk Ultra 8GB and things have been quiet on that front.  I'm just know that at some point this issue is going to come back.

Re: MicroSD I/O Errors

dbrisbois
OK ... I'm going to experiment with the Extremes. Have you tried the Extreme Plus as well?

Re: MicroSD I/O Errors

Akram Hameed
Not come across extreme plus before; given I cannot see extreme vanilla any more, I am going to guess they re-badged (I could be wrong).

Worth some Internet research if you are curious.

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 5:29 AM, dbrisbois <[hidden email]> wrote:
OK ... I'm going to experiment with the Extremes. Have you tried the Extreme
Plus as well?

Re: MicroSD I/O Errors

Kevyn-Alexandre Paré
We chases that error for a long time (still not sure),

We were using the SanDiak Ultra SDXC UHS-I 64GB.

The error was random when booting the system after it was not used for a
long period. Linux 3.2 and tried last 3.4.x stable was causing the error
-110 and was not booting. A simple restart of the system most of the
time was removing the problem. Some other times it requires 10x reboot
to fall back or was unable to reboot.

I ask on linux-mmc / linux-ext4 / linux-omap and the answer was it
should work.

OMAP35x TRM says:

22.1.1 MMC/SD/SDIO Features
The main features of the MMC/SD/SDIO host controller are:
• Full compliance with MMC command/response sets as defined in the
Multimedia Card System
Specification, v4.2 including high-capacity (size > 2GB) cards HC MMC.
• Full compliance with SD command/response sets as defined in the SD
Memory Card Specifications,
v2.0 including high-capacity SDHC cards up to 32GB.

So we bought a 32 GB Lexar *SDHC* and since then we didn't see the
problem reappear.

I will try to play with canned air tomorrow to reproduce the problem ?

We just palce a order for SanDisk Ultra SDXC/SDHC  UHS-I 32 GB and still
have the 64 GB will test them on cold temperature.

Our last test was suggesting us that maybe the driver/mmc controller
with SDXC + UHS-I could be the cause of the problem...

So maybe it's a temperature problem? with the SD.

TBC...

-KA