Quantcast

MMC rootfs behaviour

Trung Hoang
I created a successfully bootable micro sd card using these instructions http://gumstix.org/create-a-bootable-microsd-card.html from a custom built image using yocto.

One thing which has perplexed me is that, when i boot the sd card and i write to the SD card from my ubuntu build box, i do not see that change reflected when i login via serial on the gumstix!!! If i create a file on the gumstix, and i plug that sd card into my ubuntu machine, i do not see the file..

I always thought a bootable micro sd card uses the second ext3 partition as the rootfs!!

Can anyone explain what is going on?

Re: MMC rootfs behaviour

Scott Ellis
You understand it correctly, root is on the ext3 partition.

Two things you might look at.

When the SD card is in the plugged into the workstation and you create files on it,
are you unmounting the SD card before pulling it out?

With the SD card in the Gumstix and you create a new file, where are you writing?
Some of the directories are mounted as temporary/memory only filesystems and
are not backed by the SD card.

Re: MMC rootfs behaviour

Trung Hoang
I made a silly error. I created /media/rootfs as a directory and i was untaring to that directory not the actual SD card's rootfs partition.

Explains why extracting was so fast..

Good to confirm the behaviour!

On 25/01/2013, at 1:05 AM, jumpnowdev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You understand it correctly, root is on the ext3 partition.
>
> Two things you might look at.
>
> When the SD card is in the plugged into the workstation and you create files
> on it,
> are you unmounting the SD card before pulling it out?
>
> With the SD card in the Gumstix and you create a new file, where are you
> writing?
> Some of the directories are mounted as temporary/memory only filesystems and
> are not backed by the SD card.

Re: MMC rootfs behaviour

Sertaç Olgunsoylu
Besides, Scott is absolutely right. If you are working with some peripheral storage device, unmounting or syncing is something to keep in mind.