Quantcast

MIPI CSI on DM3730?

Simon Knopp
Hi all,

Does anyone know if the MIPI camera interface is usable on the STORM
COMs? I know it's not on the OMAP3530 and I was wondering if that had
changed for the DM3730. I see in Table 1-3 of the AM/DM37x manual (p195)
that CSI1 and CSI2 are not ticked, the same as for the OMAP3530. On the
other hand, e-con systems produce a "MIPI camera board for TI's AM37x /
DM37x Processors"...

Regards,
Simon.

Re: MIPI CSI on DM3730?

JamesAng
Simon Knopp wrote
Hi all,

Does anyone know if the MIPI camera interface is usable on the STORM
COMs? I know it's not on the OMAP3530 and I was wondering if that had
changed for the DM3730. I see in Table 1-3 of the AM/DM37x manual (p195)
that CSI1 and CSI2 are not ticked, the same as for the OMAP3530. On the
other hand, e-con systems produce a "MIPI camera board for TI's AM37x /
DM37x Processors"...

Regards,
Simon.
I'm interested too..

I would suggest you post the same question on linux-media and linux-omap mailing list since they are the group dealing with the Linux device driver portion if it's to work.

James ang

Re: MIPI CSI on DM3730?

MarioAlvarez

I have been analysing this too. The Gumstix camera pins support only one lane MIPI and not two lane MIPI.  I tried to develop the driver. But couldnt and gave up. With one lane MIPI, you would get lesser than the parallel interface speeds. With 2 lane, you can go up to 2Gbps. Thats what e-con's website claims. Even I read their news, http://www.e-consystems.com/MIPI-Camera-Board-AM-DM37x.asp but it doesnt seem to have a Linux support now.

Mario

Re: MIPI CSI on DM3730?

Simon Knopp

On 19/09/12 20:24, MarioAlvarez wrote:

> I have been analysing this too. The Gumstix camera pins support only one
> lane MIPI and not two lane MIPI.  I tried to develop the driver. But couldnt
> and gave up.

I found a post on the BeagleBoard mailing list where someone says they
have successfully captured images over the CSI-1 interface. If you're
still interested you could ask if he's willing to share his code.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/beagleboard/MNTj1MpeJ0Q/NQ3aVmb7jY4J

> With one lane MIPI, you would get lesser than the parallel
> interface speeds.

According to mipi.org the maximum rate of one-lane CSI-1 is 208 Mbps.
They give the example of 800x600 YUV420 @ 30 fps. I know that may not
meet everyone's needs but it's fine for a lot of stuff. In my situation
any reduction in speed is outweighed by the ability to have a longer cable.

Simon

> With 2 lane, you can go up to 2Gbps. Thats what e-con's
> website claims. Even I read their news,
> http://www.e-consystems.com/MIPI-Camera-Board-AM-DM37x.asp but it doesnt
> seem to have a Linux support now.
>
> Mario

Re: MIPI CSI on DM3730?

MarioAlvarez
Thanks Simon.  I will look in to this !

Mario

Re: MIPI CSI on DM3730?

bhamadicharef
Anyone bought one of these e-con MIPI CSI2 interfaced camera ?
Is the Linux driver and sample application source code can be
reused on an Overo ?

Brahim

Re: MIPI CSI on DM3730?

Markus Eich
I have the e-con camera on my table next to the Caspa Camera. In theory
it should work but I have problems making the Caspa camera work on
Linaro 12.06 Overo. (see my previous post)

If I connect the e-con camera, it is registered as a V4L device but
accessing the image I get currently the same problems using the Caspa.
Once I make the Caspa work I could give you more information on this.

/Markus

Am 15.02.2014 02:21, schrieb bhamadicharef:

> Anyone bought one of these e-con MIPI CSI2 interfaced camera ?
> Is the Linux driver and sample application source code can be
> reused on an Overo ?
>
> Brahim

Dr.-Ing. Markus Eich

  Project Management
  Marine Inspection Robotics
  Space Robotics

  Besuchsadresse der Nebengeschäftstelle:
  DFKI GmbH
  Robotics Innovation Center
  Robert-Hooke-Straße 5
  28359 Bremen, Germany

  Postadresse der Hauptgeschäftsstelle Standort Bremen:
  DFKI GmbH
  Robotics Innovation Center
  Robert-Hooke-Straße 1
  28359 Bremen, Germany

  Tel.:     +49 421 178 45-4105
  Zentrale: +49 421 178 45-0
  Fax:      +49 421 178 45-4150 (Faxe bitte namentlich kennzeichnen)
  E-Mail:   [hidden email]

  (Vorsitzender) Dr. Walter Olthoff
  Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313
  USt-Id.Nr.:    DE 148646973
  Steuernummer:  19/673/0060/3

Re: MIPI CSI on DM3730?

bhamadicharef
Do they provide a V4L2 driver with source for us to modify if needed ? I am intersted to hook a
MIPI CSI2 camera to my DM3730 and use this econ as template to learn.
Linaro 12.04 is based on which kernel version ?

Re: MIPI CSI on DM3730?

Markus Eich
It is based on Kernel 3.5

The sources for Linaro can be downloaded from

https://github.com/gumstix/linux/tree/omap-3.5/drivers/media/video/omap3isp

But Linaro for Gunstix was last updated 2 years ago! I am checking currently to migrate to Yocto.

/Markus