Logining to Aero Core

12

Logining to Aero Core

glen@jetsoftdev.com
Hi All,

I am trying to determine how to Login into the AeroCore to change the tone that it is playing.  I can't seem to find the documentation on how to do this?

Where do I find this link?

Glen

Re: Logining to Aero Core

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Glen,

What version of AeroCore are you using (on the back side, what is the PCB###vxx)?  To access the NuttX console you plug in a micro-USB connector near the long pin header.  Depending on what version of AeroCore you're using the port on your host computer will change.

We're putting some better documentation together, I'll make sure this is included.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Logining to Aero Core

glen@jetsoftdev.com
Andrew,

It is the AeroCore 2 For Duovero. You guys put a white sticker over the
PCB number should I take that off?

I can see a v18 on the end of it.

Some better documentation on how use the AeroCore would be good. The
reason I went with Gumstix over say the Beagles Rasberrys of the world was
for the possible functionality of the AeroCore.

Unfortunately, it is like a secret society black box for a newbie to make
use of it even thought it has extreme promise.

And all I want to do is something simple at first like turn off the tune
it keeps playing though the console.

Eventually, I would want a full program build that communicates with the
Duovero COM.

Glen

--
Glen Wernersbach View Profile <http://www.linkedin.com/in/GlenWernersbach>
Business, Innovation and Technical Consultant;

629 Old St Rt. 74 ­ Suite 210
Cincinnati, Oh 45244

513-240-9929
[hidden email]

On 4/7/16, 7:57 AM, "Andrew C. Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Glen,
>
>What version of AeroCore are you using (on the back side, what is the
>PCB###vxx)?  To access the NuttX console you plug in a micro-USB connector
>near the long pin header.  Depending on what version of AeroCore you're
>using the port on your host computer will change.
>
>We're putting some better documentation together, I'll make sure this is
>included.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Andrew

Re: Logining to Aero Core

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Glen,

The default software on the M4 is the PX4 software

http://dev.px4.io/
https://github.com/PX4/Firmware
https://pixhawk.org/firmware/start

There are lots of support forums for the PX4 firmware so we didn't want to try and duplicate that.  We try to respond to specific questions for the AeroCore.  We do have a hardware specific manual

http://media.gumstix.com/docs/brd30024.pdf

That shows how to compile and load firmware.  It lists the different connectors on the board.

As for the tune, you can turn off the tune using hardware by either hitting the button on the bottom side of the board or soldering between the test points near by.  In software, you can log into the console (plug into micro-USB, open terminal to that port ... ttyACMx on Linux device @ 115200 baud) and use the "tone" command.  Try different integer arguments, i.e "tone 3".

I hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions.

Andrew

Re: Logining to Aero Core

glen@jetsoftdev.com
Andrew,

When I try to screen into my Aero Core 2 for Duvero. I get a blank screen:
screen /dev/ttyACM0 115200n8

When I try to upload firmware to it, it keeps giving this message:
attempting reboot on /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Gumstix_AeroCore_0-if00...
if the board does not respond, unplug and re-plug the USB connector

Not sure if the board id or software I download is correct for the Aero
Core 2 for Duvero, It appears it is ID 101 according to my usb info. But
here is what I see in the file:
{
    "board_id": 98,
    "magic": "AeroCore",
    "description": "Firmware for the Gumstix AeroCore board",

Let me know.

Glen

--

On 4/19/16, 9:34 PM, "Andrew C. Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Glen,
>
>The default software on the M4 is the PX4 software
>
>http://dev.px4.io/ <http://dev.px4.io/>
>https://github.com/PX4/Firmware <https://github.com/PX4/Firmware>
>https://pixhawk.org/firmware/start <https://pixhawk.org/firmware/start>
>
>There are lots of support forums for the PX4 firmware so we didn't want to
>try and duplicate that.  We try to respond to specific questions for the
>AeroCore.  We do have a hardware specific manual
>
>http://media.gumstix.com/docs/brd30024.pdf
><http://media.gumstix.com/docs/brd30024.pdf>
>
>That shows how to compile and load firmware.  It lists the different
>connectors on the board.
>
>As for the tune, you can turn off the tune using hardware by either
>hitting
>the button on the bottom side of the board or soldering between the test
>points near by.  In software, you can log into the console (plug into
>micro-USB, open terminal to that port ... ttyACMx on Linux device @ 115200
>baud) and use the "tone" command.  Try different integer arguments, i.e
>"tone 3".
>
>I hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions.
>
>Andrew

Re: Logining to Aero Core

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Glen,

With the AeroCore booted up (so LEDs not flashing) and the micro-USB plugged in.  When you run
lsusb
and
ls /dev/serial/by-id/
what does it return?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Logining to Aero Core

glen@jetsoftdev.com
When I run screen in those conditions it is blank.

--
Glen Wernersbach View my profile on LinkedInView Profile
Business, Innovation and Technical Consultant;

On Apr 27, 2016, at 8:37 AM, Andrew C. Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Glen,

With the AeroCore booted up (so LEDs not flashing) and the micro-USB plugged
in.  When you run

and

what does it return?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Logining to Aero Core

acsmith
I don't mean send those commands while you're using the screen function, I mean run those commands from the Linux prompt (where you ran "screen /dev/ttyACM0 115200").  I want to see what devices your computer is reportedly seeing.  I'm trying to see if the AeroCore firmware is operating properly, if operating properly it should report an AeroCore device.  The fact that your "screen" command isn't giving an error when using "/dev/ttyACM0" as an argument is promising.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Logining to Aero Core

glen@jetsoftdev.com

Andrew,

The email below shows no command pasted in. That is why I did not understand what you wanted me to.

Glen
--

> On Apr 27, 2016, at 8:37 AM, Andrew C. Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Glen,
>
> With the AeroCore booted up (so LEDs not flashing) and the micro-USB plugged
> in.  When you run
>
> and
>
> what does it return?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrew

Re: Logining to Aero Core

glen@jetsoftdev.com
Andrew,

While I am waiting to figure out how to login, I am reading thought the
PX4 code for Aero 2 Core for Duovero.

What do you think is the minimum rate periodic rate that the combined
sensors could report update info and still have time to process their data?

The simple example shows a second which is way too big. A millisecond
would be great.

Just learning at this point.

Glen
--
Glen Wernersbach View Profile <http://www.linkedin.com/in/GlenWernersbach>
Business, Innovation and Technical Consultant;
Founder and CEO
ROSettaLABS.io

629 Old St Rt. 74 ­ Suite 210
Cincinnati, Oh 45244

513-240-9929
[hidden email]

On 4/19/16, 9:34 PM, "Andrew C. Smith" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi Glen,
>
>The default software on the M4 is the PX4 software
>
>http://dev.px4.io/ <http://dev.px4.io/>
>https://github.com/PX4/Firmware <https://github.com/PX4/Firmware>
>https://pixhawk.org/firmware/start <https://pixhawk.org/firmware/start>
>
>There are lots of support forums for the PX4 firmware so we didn't want to
>try and duplicate that.  We try to respond to specific questions for the
>AeroCore.  We do have a hardware specific manual
>
>http://media.gumstix.com/docs/brd30024.pdf
><http://media.gumstix.com/docs/brd30024.pdf>
>
>That shows how to compile and load firmware.  It lists the different
>connectors on the board.
>
>As for the tune, you can turn off the tune using hardware by either
>hitting
>the button on the bottom side of the board or soldering between the test
>points near by.  In software, you can log into the console (plug into
>micro-USB, open terminal to that port ... ttyACMx on Linux device @ 115200
>baud) and use the "tone" command.  Try different integer arguments, i.e
>"tone 3".
>
>I hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions.
>
>Andrew

Re: Logining to Aero Core

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Glen,

I don't know why it doesn't show up in the email ... but I would suggest using the web interface

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Logining-to-Aero-Core-tp4970762p4970783.html

Andrew

Re: Logining to Aero Core

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Glen,

You want minimum rate?  The standard PX4 setup polls the sensors at different rates.  The gyro is the fastest sensor, running around 800 Hz.  The other sensors are lower.  I'm not sure what example you're talking about but the EKF is running much faster than that.  Very doubtful that it'll ever reach 1 millisecond.

Andrew

Re: Logining to Aero Core

glen@jetsoftdev.com
That equals 1.25ms. I can work with that.

Is  not the accelerometer faster at a 100kHz or 400kHz?

On May 1, 2016, at 10:14 PM, Andrew C. Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Glen,

You want minimum rate?  The standard PX4 setup polls the sensors at
different rates.  The gyro is the fastest sensor, running around 800 Hz.
The other sensors are lower.  I'm not sure what example you're talking about
but the EKF is running much faster than that.  Very doubtful that it'll ever
reach 1 millisecond.

Andrew

Re: Logining to Aero Core

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Glen,

No, I think you're confusing the output data rate (ODR) with the i2c bus speed (SPI is used on AeroCore because it's faster).  The accelerometer runs at about the same speed as the gyro and the compass is much slower.

http://www2.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/l3gd20h.pdf
http://www2.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/lsm303d.pdf

Andrew

Re: Logining to Aero Core

glen@jetsoftdev.com
Andrew,

here is the output of the those commands:

root@RosettaConnector:~# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 26ac:0011
root@RosettaConnector:~# ls /dev/serial/by-id/
usb-Gumstix_AeroCore_0-if00
root@RosettaConnector:~#

Re: Logining to Aero Core

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Glen,

That looks good, the AeroCore is listed in the serial devices.  What shows up when you run the command

"ls /dev/ttyACM*"

Also, I noticed earlier in the thread that the command you're using for communication looks a little off, you've got a couple of extra characters.  Try

"screen /dev/ttyACM0 115200"

Replace ttyACM* with whatever you get from the first command above.  Also, depending on the permissions on your system you may need to run the "screen" command with root permissions (i.e. using "sudo" or "su").  One suggestion if this is your issue is to fix the serial port permissions so that you don't need root permissions.

http://websistent.com/fix-serial-port-permission-denied-errors-linux/

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Re: Logining to Aero Core

glen@jetsoftdev.com
Andrew,

Here is my output

root@RosettaConnector:~# ls /dev/ttyACM*
/dev/ttyACM0

When I run
screen /dev/ttyACM0 115200

I get a blank screen when trying to login to in the AeroCore.

I am open to this being a baud issue but tell me what to use.

I am root.  I can change the port I am plug into and the command from the same machine and screen into the Duovero COM so I know the machine is good.

Glen

From: "Andrew C. Smith [via Gumstix]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 6:37 AM
To: Glen Wernersbach <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Logining to Aero Core

ls /dev/ttyACM*

Re: Logining to Aero Core

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Glen,

That's strange, everything sounds good.  When you connect to the terminal and hit ENTER a few times nothing comes on the screen?

Andrew

Re: Logining to Aero Core

glen@jetsoftdev.com
Nothing!

--

On May 5, 2016, at 10:35 AM, Andrew C. Smith [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Glen,

That's strange, everything sounds good.  When you connect to the terminal and hit ENTER a few times nothing comes on the screen?

Andrew

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Logining-to-Aero-Core-tp4970762p4970825.html
To unsubscribe from Logining to Aero Core, click here.

Re: Logining to Aero Core

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Glen,

Wow, very strange.

Have you tried reflashing the on-board firmware?  The easiest way to do so is the QGroundControl software.  There's some instructions for flashing the AeroCore 2 listed in section 6.2 of the manual.

Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Andrew
12