Quantcast

Keyboard for Gumstix Pepper

steph.iosso
Hello all,

I am wondering if there is a way to install a virtual keyboard on the Gumstix Pepper. I am using it on an electric wheelchair and I need the user to be able to use the LCD without worrying about using a mouse or keyboard.

If not, is there a way to configure the XBOX controller and chatpad to work as the mouse and keyboard for the Pepper.

Thanks.

Re: Keyboard for Gumstix Pepper

Nick Rawluk

Hi Steph,

I haven’t found an ideal virtual keyboard yet but here’s a few to look into to get you started:

·         Maliit (https://wiki.maliit.org/Main_Page): Flexible and seems like the best option on small screens. Nicest looking.

·         On-board (https://launchpad.net/onboard): Is the default for Ubuntu currently I think… gtk

·         Caribout (https://wiki.gnome.org/Caribou): Gnome, less mature

·         Xvkbd (http://homepage3.nifty.com/tsato/xvkbd/): Based virtual keyboard

·         Florence (http://florence.sourceforge.net/english.html): Haven’t considered it much

All of them are X11 based I believe.

Let me know if you find something nicer, I will be needing to choose one soon as well.

Nick

I am wondering if there is a way to install a virtual keyboard on the Gumstix Pepper. I am using it on an electric wheelchair and I need the user to be able to use the LCD without worrying about using a mouse or keyboard.

If not, is there a way to configure the XBOX controller and chatpad to work as the mouse and keyboard for the Pepper.

Thanks.

Re: Keyboard for Gumstix Pepper

adam
Hi Steph I'd find out what's available out there first - http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/recipes/?q=virtual+keyboard

Adam

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Steph Iosso [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

I am wondering if there is a way to install a virtual keyboard on the Gumstix Pepper. I am using it on an electric wheelchair and I need the user to be able to use the LCD without worrying about using a mouse or keyboard.

If not, is there a way to configure the XBOX controller and chatpad to work as the mouse and keyboard for the Pepper.

Thanks.

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Keyboard-for-Gumstix-Pepper-tp4968761.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: Keyboard for Gumstix Pepper

steph.iosso
I guess what I meant to ask is how  do I install it on the Pepper? Would it be through Putty or on the Pepper itself? I am aware of the different keyboards available, I am unsure of how to install one on the pepper.

Thanks.