Quantcast

Intel Joule based Expansion with PCIe

kartik
We ware looking at using the Intel Joule as a SoM for our design and are looking for an expansion board to work with the SoM. Geppetto is great but there are a few things that we cannot do using the tool and I was hoping to get some information about this.

1. We would like to use the PCIe interface on the Joule. The Joule multiplexes PCIe with USB3 Port 1. Most expansion boards do not expose the PCIe functionality and we need a board that does. I could not find a PCIe expansion connector on Geppetto. Is this something that is possible through the Gumstix Design services ?

2. In addition to a temperature sensor we would also like a gyro which I couldn't not find the parts library

3. We also would like to use an IO Expander and LED Driver IC both of which I could not find on the tool.

4. Finally we need an I2S interface to an Audio Codec. I could not wire this up on the tool.

Any ideas on how we can add the above to a custom designed expansion board ?

Thanks
Kartik

Re: Intel Joule based Expansion with PCIe

Keith Lee
Hi Kartik,

I can answer a couple of your questions:

2.  There is a gyro in the library.  It's a part of the 9-axis IMU in the library's 'Sensors' category.  That module is also an accelerometer and compass.

3. The LCD backlight controller in the 'Power' category is an LED driver, but I'm not sure that's what you're  looking for.  By I/O expander, I assume you mean a serial (I2C, etc.) GPIO expansion IC.  We don't currently have that module in the library.  That said, we are always adding new modules and looking for suggestions from our custormers and the community.

4.You'll find our audio codec module (in the 'Audio' category) does connect over I2S to the IJM in Geppetto, but I'll have to confirm with the software engineering team if there is driver support for the Joule.

WRT PCIe, I think that is a great idea for a Geppetto module.  Out of personal interest, may I ask what you think would be more useful/interesting: a classic card-slot-style edge connection or one of the compact 4-lane cable connectors?

Re: Intel Joule based Expansion with PCIe

kartik
Hi Keith,

Thank you for getting in touch with me:

I will take a look at the LCD backlight controller but I was looking at something that would just power/control a few LEDs.

PCIe: The compact connector is what we are specifically looking for. With regards to the joule which has only one PCIe lane a one lane connector is actually all thats needed. There are currently issues with getting the appropriate BIOS for the Joule which will enable the PCIe interface, but I'm trying to work that out.

Thanks
Kartik

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 10:00 PM Keith Lee [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Intel-Joule-based-Expansion-with-PCIe-tp4971275p4971283.html
To unsubscribe from Intel Joule based Expansion with PCIe, click here.