Quantcast

[ Installing java virtual machine on Gumstix Overo AirStorm COM ]

[ Installing java virtual machine on Gumstix Overo AirStorm COM ]

Ashish Raste
Hi all,

I'm using a Gumstix overo board running Yocto 3.5 kernel. I wanted to try running a few groovy scripts on it and hence wanted to know how to install Java virtual machine(JVM) on overo AirStorm.

I couldn't find any documentation/article related to this online except for an article on installing JamVM on the open-embedded kernel and a few other forum replies which suggested installing ipkg, classpath, etc..

I would like to know the process to port the JVM on the yocto kernel so that I can run java applications. Can any one suggest me how to do it?

Thanks.

regards,
Ashish

Re: [ Installing java virtual machine on Gumstix Overo AirStorm COM ]

Gerhard H.
Hi Ashish,

what I did was downloading Oracle JRE from
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/embedded/downloads/javase/index.html
I downloaded (you need to be registered) last year the file: ejre-7u10-fcs-b18-linux-arm-vfp-server_headless-28_nov_2012.tar (now version 7u51 is online) and untared this file to /home/root/ejre-7u10.

Afterwards you can start java programs using "/home/root/ejre-7u10/bin/java [yourJavaProgram]".

Hope that helps

cheers
Gerhard