Quantcast

Installing Ubuntu 10.04 on Gumstix Overo

Installing Ubuntu 10.04 on Gumstix Overo

bhamadicharef
Hi all

I am trying the wiki "Installing Ubuntu 10.04 on Gumstix Overo"
http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Installing_Ubuntu_10.04_on_Gumstix_Overo
and my system (Ubuntu 10.04 using VMware) gets repeatedly stuck at

Setting up libglade2-0 (1:2.6.4-1build1) ...

Any suggestions ?

Brahim

Re: Installing Ubuntu 10.04 on Gumstix Overo

derekjchow
Hi Brahim,

I've encountered similar problems using rootstock to get Ubuntu on a
Gumstix Overo. A bit of patience (at least a couple of hours) had
resulted in successfully producing a card for me.

If you're looking for another way to create a SD card with Ubuntu on
it, consider using Linaro
(http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Linaro), which in my previous
experience proven to be a faster and more reliable way to get up and
running with Ubuntu on a Gumstix.

Derek

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:02 AM, bhamadicharef [via Gumstix]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am trying the wiki "Installing Ubuntu 10.04 on Gumstix Overo"
> http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Installing_Ubuntu_10.04_on_Gumstix_Overo
> and my system (Ubuntu 10.04 using VMware) gets repeatedly stuck at
>
> Setting up libglade2-0 (1:2.6.4-1build1) ...
>
> Any suggestions ?
>
> Brahim

> NAML

Re: Installing Ubuntu 10.04 on Gumstix Overo

bhamadicharef
Hi

Thank you for the pointers ... few hours becomes overnight waiting ... and still
nothing ... could be the Ubuntu under VMwave issue ... will try with one Ubuntu
in dual boot. I am just trying to learn to create various OS for my Gumstix overo.

Will try Linaro ... thank again.

Brahim

Re: Installing Ubuntu 10.04 on Gumstix Overo

hugohirni
Hi,

I had some issues with this tutorial myself ;-)

I am building my Images with Ubuntu 12.04 in VMWare.
Since I have an Tobi Expansion Board I wanted to build an Image with USB-OTG and HDMI Gui support.

I modified the Sarkoman mksdcard.sh to prepare the SD-Card (make partitions, formatink, mount/unmount) and burn the MLO,uboot, uImage and RootFS in the correct way.
(http://www.sakoman.com/category/8-gnome-daily-builds-r13.html)

To prepare the Ubuntu Image I did followed the normal Tutorial:
http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Installing_Ubuntu_10.04_on_Gumstix_Overo
but I added -l username -p password for my primary user account. The Tutorial said it is not working, but this is fixed by now.

sudo apt-get install rootstock qemu

sudo rootstock --serial ttyS2 -d lucid -f "gumstix" -l username -p password --seed lxde,gdm,openssh-server,x11vnc
After creating the RootFS (armel-rootfs-***.tgz) you have to copy recent MLO and uboot Files. I took them from the Link "recent" of the Tutorial (http://www.sakoman.com/feeds/omap3/glibc/images/overo/201009091145/).

The uImage File with the Linux Kernel has to be a different !!!!!!!!!!!

Some Lines beneath the "recent"-link are the Links "2.6.34 Kernel" (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/211887/Ubuntu/uImage-2.6.34-r88-overo.bin) and the corresponding "modules" for this kernel (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/211887/Ubuntu/modules-2.6.34-r88-overo.tgz).

After downloading all these Files you could take my modified Sakoman script to burn it on the SD-Card:
#! /bin/sh

export LC_ALL=C

MOUNT_POINT="/media/overo-sd"

PWD=`pwd`
WORK_DIR=$PWD

if [ $# -lt 5 ]; then
	echo ""
	echo "Usage: $0 <drive> <MLO> <u-boot.bin> <uImage.bin> <rootfs>"
	echo "   drive:      SD device         (i.e. /dev/sdc)"
	echo "   MLO:        Stage 1 bootlader (i.e. MLO*)"
	echo "   u-boot.bin: Stage 2 bootlader (i.e. u-boot*.bin)"
	echo "   uImage.bin: Kernelimage       (i.e. uImage*.bin)"
	echo "   rootfs:     root filesystem   (i.e. armel-rootfs-*.tgz)"
	exit 1;
fi

if ! id | grep -q root; then
	echo "This utility must be run prefixed with sudo or as root"
	exit 1;
fi

if [ "$1" = "/dev/sda" ] ; then
	echo "Sorry, /dev/sda probably holds your PC's rootfs.  Please specify a SD device."
	exit 1;
fi
DRIVE=$1

#make sure that the SD card isn't mounted before we start
if [ -b ${DRIVE}1 ]; then
	umount ${DRIVE}1
	umount ${DRIVE}2
elif [ -b ${DRIVE}p1 ]; then
	umount ${DRIVE}p1
	umount ${DRIVE}p2
else
	umount ${DRIVE}
fi

dd if=/dev/zero of=$DRIVE bs=1024 count=1024

SIZE=`fdisk -l $DRIVE | grep Disk | grep bytes | awk '{print $5}'`

echo DISK SIZE – $SIZE bytes

CYLINDERS=`echo $SIZE/255/63/512 | bc`

echo CYLINDERS – $CYLINDERS

{
echo ,9,0x0C,*
echo ,,,-
} | sfdisk -D -H 255 -S 63 -C $CYLINDERS $DRIVE

sleep 1

if [ -b ${DRIVE}1 ]; then
	PART1=${DRIVE}1
	PART2=${DRIVE}2
elif [ -b ${DRIVE}p1 ]; then
	PART1=${DRIVE}p1
	PART2=${DRIVE}p2
else
	echo "Improper partitioning on $DRIVE"
	exit 1;
fi

umount ${PART1}
mkfs.vfat -F 32 -n boot ${PART1}

umount ${PART2}
mke2fs -j -L rootfs ${PART2}

# create a mount point if it doesn't already exist
if [ ! -d $MOUNT_POINT ]; then
	if ! mkdir $MOUNT_POINT; then
		echo "Could not create mount point: $MOUNT_POINT"
		echo "SD card creation was not successful"
		exit 1;
	fi
fi

if mount -t vfat ${PART1} $MOUNT_POINT; then
	echo "Populating boot partition files"
	cp $2 $MOUNT_POINT/MLO
	cp $3 $MOUNT_POINT/u-boot.bin
	cp $4 $MOUNT_POINT/uImage
	sync
	umount $MOUNT_POINT
	echo "Boot partition complete"
else
	echo "Can't mount ${PART1} at $MOUNT_POINT for boot partition creation"
	echo "SD card creation was not successful"
	exit 1;
fi

# this shouldn't be necessary, but Ubuntu seems to remove the mount point!
if [ ! -d $MOUNT_POINT ]; then
	if ! mkdir $MOUNT_POINT; then
		echo "Could not create mount point: $MOUNT_POINT"
		echo "SD card creation was not successful"
		exit 1;
	fi
fi

if mount -t ext3 ${PART2} $MOUNT_POINT; then
	if cd $MOUNT_POINT; then
		echo "Populating rootfs partition files"
		echo "This will take several minutes . . ."
		tar xf $WORK_DIR/$5
		sync
		cd $WORK_DIR
		umount $MOUNT_POINT
		echo "Rootfs partition complete"
	else
		echo "Error populating rootfs partition"
		echo "SD card creation was not successful"
	fi
else
	echo "Can't mount ${PART2} at $MOUNT_POINT for rootfs creation"
	echo "SD card creation was not successful"
	exit 1;

fi

echo "SD card creation was successful"

exit 0;

2012/6/28 bhamadicharef <[hidden email]>
Hi

Thank you for the pointers ... few hours becomes overnight waiting ... and
still
nothing ... could be the Ubuntu under VMwave issue ... will try with one
Ubuntu
in dual boot. I am just trying to learn to create various OS for my Gumstix
overo.

Will try Linaro ... thank again.

Brahim

Re: Installing Ubuntu 10.04 on Gumstix Overo

bhamadicharef
Thanks ! Will confirm my success asap ... I hope !

Brahim

Re: Installing Ubuntu 10.04 on Gumstix Overo

bhamadicharef
Worked ... thanks !

Brahim

Re: Installing Ubuntu 10.04 on Gumstix Overo

rlinsalata
I noticed that you were running Ubuntu 12.04 and were still able to use rootstock to create an Ubuntu rootfs tarball.  How were you able to apt-get rootstock?

I've been trying for some time now to create an Ubuntu Oneiric (I'll take Precise too at this point) bootable sd card installation for the Overo -- trying and failing greatly.  Following that gumstix-wiki tutorial, I tried rootstock on my Oneiric host machine and it was failing.  On my Precise host machine, seeing that rootstock is deprecated and that for 12.04+ Canonical now recommends Ubuntu Core for armel instead, I tried using their ubuntu-core rootfs, but it wouldn't complete booting (I'm not confident I set it up right, to be honest, since their instructions were different).

I'd love it if the rootstock utility would work, as I've found many a tutorial that layout a step-by-step, logged account of how to go from 0-to-Winning, for my exact end-goal.

Thanks for any info!
- R

hugohirni wrote
I had some issues with this tutorial myself ;-)

I am building my Images with Ubuntu 12.04 in VMWare.

To prepare the Ubuntu Image I did followed the normal Tutorial:
http://wiki.gumstix.org/index.php?title=Installing_Ubuntu_10.04_on_Gumstix_Overo
but I added -l username -p password for my primary user account. The
Tutorial said it is not working, but this is fixed by now.

sudo apt-get install rootstock qemu

sudo rootstock --serial ttyS2 -d lucid -f "gumstix" -l username -p
password --seed lxde,gdm,openssh-server,x11vnc

After creating the RootFS (armel-rootfs-***.tgz) you have to copy recent
MLO and uboot Files. I took them from the Link "recent" of the Tutorial (
http://www.sakoman.com/feeds/omap3/glibc/images/overo/201009091145/).

Re: Installing Ubuntu 10.04 on Gumstix Overo

nickw1881
I'm with rlinsalata, I can't get past the first step "sudo apt-get install rootstock" because someone took it down from the repositories.  Does anyone know where it went?

Even better, why do we all have to build our copies of the OS individually? That seems like a massive waste of time.  Why can't we just download a ubuntu-console-(10,11,12).tar.gz and unzip it to the SD card like we do with the (broken and non-functional) angstrom "operating system"?

Re: Installing Ubuntu 10.04 on Gumstix Overo

bhamadicharef
Hi

If someone want access to

armel-rootfs-201207081000.tgz (Size 341.0 MB, 357589540 bytes) and
rootstock-201207081000.log (Size 2.2 MB (2274016 bytes)

email me ... and I will share them

Brahim

Re: Installing Ubuntu 10.04 on Gumstix Overo

CaseyS

Bhamadicharef,

Were you able to boot your gumstix using your rootfs, I've had trouble with Ubuntu core 12.04 and 11.10

Casey

On Jul 21, 2012 8:59 AM, "bhamadicharef" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

If someone want access to

armel-rootfs-201207081000.tgz (Size 341.0 MB, 357589540 bytes) and
rootstock-201207081000.log (Size 2.2 MB (2274016 bytes)

email me ... and I will share them

Brahim

Re: Installing Ubuntu 10.04 on Gumstix Overo

AKS-4
You can still apt-get install rootstock as usual on Ubuntu 11.04
and 11.10 but not for Ubuntu 12.04 (I learned that rootstock
cannot be installed that way as it become obsolete on Precise).

On 7/21/12, bhamadicharef <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> If someone want access to
>
> armel-rootfs-201207081000.tgz (Size 341.0 MB, 357589540 bytes) and
> rootstock-201207081000.log (Size 2.2 MB (2274016 bytes)
>
> email me ... and I will share them
>
> Brahim

Re: Installing Ubuntu 10.04 on Gumstix Overo

bhamadicharef
Hi

Have not had time to try/boot it yet ... will update.

I use 10.04 VMwave Ubuntu and it worked ...
missing 'password' issue sorted out the problem for me.

Brahim