Quantcast

Installing Gstreamer plugins to rootfs with Yocto/Meta-Gumstix

Installing Gstreamer plugins to rootfs with Yocto/Meta-Gumstix

emunson
I've been using the instructions for building Gumstix images with Yocto from https://github.com/gumstix/Gumstix-YoctoProject-Repo and am having trouble getting gstreamer plugins to populate in the rootfs for my Overo Fire. I've tried a variety of modifications to the recipes for the gumstix-xfce-image but I'll start from square one for this post.

Following the instructions and using the Master manifest (default) I can build the "gumstix-xfce-image" and boot my device with no problems.

The "gumstix-xfce-image" recipe installs the following plugins to the /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10 in the rootfs:
libgstalsa.so
libgstaudioconvert.so
libgstaudioresample.so
libgstautodetect.so
libgstcoreelements.so
libgstcoreindexers.so
libgstdecodebin.so
libgstdecodebin2.so
libgstffmpegcolorspace.so
libgstflac.so
libgstgio.so
libgstogg.so
libgstplaybin.so
libgstsouphttpsrc.so
libgsttypefindfunctions.so
libgstvideoscale.so
libgstvolume.so
libgstvorbis.so
libgstwavparse.so
libgstximagesink.so
libgstxvimagesink.so

...which is rather sparse and does not include v4l2 or videotestsrc.

When I use "find -name *videotestsrc*" in the build directory I eventually find that more gstreamer plugins are being built under {yocto directory}/build/tmp/sysroots/overo/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/  but not all are copied to the rootfs.

Why are only a subset of these libraries copied to the rootfs even though more are being built? I have tried including "gst-meta-base", "gst-plugins-good", etc in the "IMAGE_INSTALL" for the "gumstix-xfce-image" recipe but the rootfs never receives additional plugins.

Any advice for where to find a manifest of what is populated or where that might be controlled? Did anybody have better luck with the Master manifest?

Re: Installing Gstreamer plugins to rootfs with Yocto/Meta-Gumstix

adam
Just making sure:

Using IMAGE_INSTALL with the += operator from the /conf/local.conffile or from within an image recipe is not recommended as it can cause ordering issues. Since core-image.bbclass sets IMAGE_INSTALL to a default value using the ?= operator, using a += operation againstIMAGE_INSTALL will result in unexpected behavior when used inconf/local.conf. Furthermore, the same operation from within an image recipe may or may not succeed depending on the specific situation. In both these cases, the behavior is contrary to how most users expect the+= operator to work.

When you use this variable, it is best to use it as follows:

     IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " package-name"

Be sure to include the space between the quotation character and the start of the package name or names.

Let me know!

Adam

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 1:39 PM, emunson [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Installing-Gstreamer-plugins-to-rootfs-with-Yocto-Meta-Gumstix-tp4969001.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: Installing Gstreamer plugins to rootfs with Yocto/Meta-Gumstix

emunson
Initially I was only looking to add the package to one image and not all images through the conf file. I had edited the "gumstix-xfce-image" as follows:

DESCRIPTION = "The Gumstix XFCE image.  This provides simple desktop \
environment using X11."
LICENSE = "MIT"

IMAGE_FEATURES += "x11"

require gumstix-console-image.bb

IMAGE_INSTALL += " \
  midori \
  man \
  man-pages \
  network-manager-applet \
  packagegroup-xfce-extended \
  packagegroup-xfce-multimedia \
  polkit-gnome \
  polkit-group-rule-network \
  polkit-group-rule-datetime \
  polkit-group-rule-shutdown \
  mplayer2 \
  gst-plugins-good \
"

where I added "gst-plugins-good" under "mplayer2".

This did not result in any more plugins being installed to the rootfs. Other options I have tried include adding "gst-meta-base" and even "gst-plugins-bad" but there are no changes to the rootfs's found in the "yocto/build/tmp/deploy/image/overo/".

Has anyone built the default gumstix image with yocto and had the plugins install correctly? I will try using the "IMAGE_INSTALL_append" in the local.conf and see what my results are.

Re: Installing Gstreamer plugins to rootfs with Yocto/Meta-Gumstix

vin047
Not sure if you managed to solve the issue but I was experiencing same problem and found the solution. add 'meta' to the end of the plugin names, eg:

GSTREAMER_INSTALL = " \
  gstreamer \
  gst-plugins-base \
  gst-plugins-good-meta \
  gst-plugins-bad-meta \
  gst-plugins-ugly-meta \
  gst-meta-base \
  gstreamer-ti \
"

Not sure why but this worked and populated my rootfs with GStreamer plugins!