Quantcast

IceSTORM Revision Question

likness

We're using the IceSTORM as an element of our system and have recently run across some Gumstix that seem to have an issue with the USB host port (which we tie via our custom carrier card to a Microchip SMSC7500 USB/Ethernet part with great success).  Some, not all, IceSTORM modules come up and don't see the USB/Ethernet.  If we switch to another Gumstix, the new one might see it just fine.  I have two IceSTORMs on my bench now that exhibit this issue (both GS3703WE-R3952).  Oddly, one of these two is completely missing IC1 for some reason, but neither has a functional USB/Ethernet.  I happen to have an older Gumstix (GS3703W-R3950) which works great on the same carrier with same boot media.

Are there any deltas between R3950 and R3952 that may have impacted the USB pins?  Inspecting the boards yields nothing obvious except the one that's missing IC1.

Your thoughts are welcome as the non-working boards are starting to pile up here and we have a large order to get out the door.  Thanks.

-m

Re: IceSTORM Revision Question

likness
It has now been nearly a month since I first posted on this revision issue.  Another poster has since reported a suspiciously similar version issue with another Overo variant.

Can someone from Gumstix please provide an update?  Andrew?  My management is getting fed up with my continued silence on what might be happening with our Gumstix modules.  Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
-m

Re: IceSTORM Revision Question

celinebarrozo
Hello,

Yes, we are investigating this issue. Could you answer the following questions so we would know?
  1. What is the Work Order number of the units that are not working? The Work Order number is printed on the white sticker of your COM, it's WO#####.
  2. What is the Work Order number of the units that are working?
  3. Would you know when you purchased this boards?
  4. Which USB port is not working (Port 0, Port 1)?
  5. What software image are you using for it?
You could send it directly to [hidden email].

Thanks,
Celine

Celine Marie Barrozo
Customer Service Representative
[hidden email] | www.gumstix.com
blog.gumstix.com

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 9:48 AM, likness <[hidden email]> wrote:
It has now been nearly a month since I first posted on this revision issue.
Another poster has since reported a suspiciously similar version issue with
another Overo variant.

*Can someone from Gumstix please provide an update?  Andrew?  My management
is getting fed up with my continued silence on what might be happening with
our Gumstix modules.  Any help is appreciated.*

Regards,
-m

Re: IceSTORM Revision Question

likness

Thanks for getting back to me Celine.  Here is the data you requested:

1.       I have two failing boards handy; one is WO#50549 the other is WO#53205 (I can provide a few more if needed)

2.       I have a working unit with WO#49854

3.       We’ve been purchasing them over the past year or so, I don’t have exact dates

4.       The USB host port on J4 pins 34 and 35

5.       Running a kernel, u-boot, and RFS developed with Timesys (has run without issue to this point)

Let me know if you need any additional information.  Thanks.

-m

Re: IceSTORM Revision Question

Andrew C. Smith
Hi,

Could you please try running some of our stock software:

https://www.gumstix.com/software/software-downloads/

I know your custom software worked fine on the older version but this will help us narrow down the issue.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: IceSTORM Revision Question

Giuseppe
Hi Andrew

I have to try to My earthstorm 3954? Or is this test only for the icestorm issue?

Ing. Sensini Giuseppe

Il 02/Feb/2017 20:20, "Andrew C. Smith" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
Hi,

Could you please try running some of our stock software:

https://www.gumstix.com/software/software-downloads/
<https://www.gumstix.com/software/software-downloads/>

I know your custom software worked fine on the older version but this will
help us narrow down the issue.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: IceSTORM Revision Question

likness
If you have an complete image (with MLO, kernel, RFS, etc.) that I can dd to a microSD I could try it but not sure what that would tell you as the USB pins in question would not expect to see the hardware we have tied to them in our design.  What would you want me to do with a plain vanilla platform booting from the microSD?

-m

Re: IceSTORM Revision Question

likness
I wanted to add one important note to this posting - the original problem with our USB was thought to possibly be due to a revision to our IceSTORM module hardware (as noted in the original post). The revision mismatch has since proven to be a bad comparison (on my part) between revisions of a WaterSTORM and IceSTORM module (they look identical to my naked eye). Celine at Gumstix has confirmed that the IceSTORM module has not been revised since it first went into production. Meanwhile, we continue to have issues with USB pins on some modules and are investigating that here and with Gumstix. -m