Quantcast

I2C interface as bridge between Aero2Core to Duvero

I2C interface as bridge between Aero2Core to Duvero

glen@jetsoftdev.com
Hi All,

I am curious if it is possible to use the I2C interface as data bridge  from the Aero2Core to the Duvero?

I can’t get the serial to reliably work in periods less than a second.

Glen

Re: I2C interface as bridge between Aero2Core to Duvero

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Glen,

My apologies for being absent on here ... I'll try and go back and answer all your previous questions.

Although I've never actually done it, theoretically I think it should be possible to do communication over I2C (using jumper wires on the header).  I would expect that one of the devices can act as a slave.  However, why are you resorting to using I2C?  UART is the easiest but you've said you're having issues (I'll try and address those other threads).  What about SPI?  I have done some communication between the DuoVero and M4 via SPI and it worked well enough.  I did see some packet errors with large packets at higher rates (DuoVero is master, M4 is slave).  We're currently working on resolving this SPI bridge issue.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: I2C interface as bridge between Aero2Core to Duvero

glen@jetsoftdev.com
I may have meant SPI. There are two bridges in the documention. Uart and one other.

See my previous thread about uart. Trying to send 64bytes every 16ms from M4 to duovero. Something is not right in that direction. Other direction works great!

Glen Wernersbach View my profile on LinkedInView Profile
Innovator and CEO
MotionLABs LLC.
Making the Next Thing Happen Now!
629 Old State Route 74 – Suite 210
<a dir="ltr" href="x-apple-data-detectors://3/0" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="address" x-apple-data-detectors-result="3/0">Cincinnati, Oh 45244
<a dir="ltr" href="tel:513-240-9929" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="telephone" x-apple-data-detectors-result="3/1" style="background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0);">513-240-9929

On Jan 25, 2017, at 12:45 PM, Andrew C. Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

So that's 64bytes at just over 60Hz ... that's not a lot of data.  The default MAVLink data stream I don't think is too far off that, most of the messages are at 10Hz but some are more.  What software are you using on either end?  Are you using stock PX4 software on the M4?  Yocto on the DuoVero?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: I2C interface as bridge between Aero2Core to Duvero

glen@jetsoftdev.com
Yocto with Linux real time recipes on duovero.

Stand M4 software.

Used the mavlink-socket example for serial setting on duovero.

Used the mavlink server serial setting on the M4.

Mavlink is disabled.

Been though lots of different things to try to get this working.

On Jan 25, 2017, at 2:01 PM, Andrew C. Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

So that's 64bytes at just over 60Hz ... that's not a lot of data.  The
default MAVLink data stream I don't think is too far off that, most of the
messages are at 10Hz but some are more.  What software are you using on
either end?  Are you using stock PX4 software on the M4?  Yocto on the
DuoVero?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: I2C interface as bridge between Aero2Core to Duvero

glen@jetsoftdev.com
Andrew,

Do you have any sample code on how to address the SPI bridge from the Duovero Linux?

Glen

[...]

So on the Duovero Linux the TTYO... devices address the serial.

Does the TTYS... address the spi ports?

Re: I2C interface as bridge between Aero2Core to Duvero

Andrew C. Smith
Hi Glen,

I do have some SPI bridge stuff that I used for a project.  It worked OK up to a certain bandwidth but then I would see failures.  The cutoff bandwidth was lower than what I needed so I opted not to publish it.  We are currently picking away at a replacement, once that's verified it will get posted.  In the mean time, I'll try and find the code and post it here.

No the TTYS device is not the SPI port.  The SPI ports on the M4 and the DuoVero require a bit more work to use.

Andrew

Re: I2C interface as bridge between Aero2Core to Duvero

glen@jetsoftdev.com
Andrew,

Thanks. Let me know I am stuck right not being able to communicate reliably between yo boards  and have been considering go to another platform. Would rather not start my project all over again.

It's a little work to try my serial test software on your standard download. I really don't think this is the problem. I think you have a driver, FIFO or interrupt problem. I will do it if you think it is worthwhile.

Glen

On Feb 14, 2017, at 7:53 AM, Andrew C. Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Glen,

I do have some SPI bridge stuff that I used for a project.  It worked OK up
to a certain bandwidth but then I would see failures.  The cutoff bandwidth
was lower than what I needed so I opted not to publish it.  We are currently
picking away at a replacement, once that's verified it will get posted.  In
the mean time, I'll try and find the code and post it here.

No the TTYS device is not the SPI port.  The SPI ports on the M4 and the
DuoVero require a bit more work to use.

Andrew

Re: I2C interface as bridge between Aero2Core to Duvero

glen@jetsoftdev.com
Andrew,

Any more info on this?

If I can¹t get a fairly reliable data connection between to the two chips
I am going to have to move to another platform other than Gumstix. I hate
to move because I have already put a lot of development into this
platform.

Right now at over serial 16ms I get a failure every third packet. At a
second period maybe one out of 10.

I will try your standard off the shelf OS for the duovero side but I am
pretty sure that is not the issue.

Glen

--
Glen Wernersbach View Profile <http://www.linkedin.com/in/GlenWernersbach>