Quantcast

How to rebuild the kernel using the Sakoman distribution on the Overo Air COM

How to rebuild the kernel using the Sakoman distribution on the Overo Air COM

Scott
We have a  Sakoman daily build from a week ago and we have successfully updated the packages on it.  It runs fine.  However, we have a requirement to setup a bridged network (specifically to configure the kernel to support the setting CONFIG_BRIDGE=y).  As a result, we need to rebuild the kernel to enable this functionality.

Has anyone attempted to rebuild the kernel for the Overo Air and if so, where can I find instructions or a guide on how to do this?  There are a lot of readme files in the Sakoman git repository and we are not sure which are important for accomplishing this.

Under [linux-omap-2.6.git] / arch / arm / configs /     or     [linux.git] / arch / arm / configs /
there are kernel config files for what appears to be for various architectures (/arch/arm/configs) or for specific components but we weren't able to find one specifically for the the Overo Air.

Thanks in advance.

Re: How to rebuild the kernel using the Sakoman distribution on the Overo Air COM

plegal
Have you tried

bitbake linux-sakoman -c menuconfig
bitbake linux-sakoman

?

Le jeudi 15 novembre 2012 à 14:42 -0800, Scott a écrit :
We have a  Sakoman daily build from a week ago and we have successfully

> updated the packages on it.  It runs fine.  However, we have a requirement
> to setup a bridged network (specifically to configure the kernel to support
> the setting CONFIG_BRIDGE=y).  As a result, we need to rebuild the kernel to
> enable this functionality.
>
> Has anyone attempted to rebuild the kernel for the Overo Air and if so,
> where can I find instructions or a guide on how to do this?  There are a lot
> of readme files in the Sakoman git repository and we are not sure which are
> important for accomplishing this.
>
> Under [linux-omap-2.6.git] / arch / arm / configs /     or     [linux.git] /
> arch / arm / configs /
> there are kernel config files for what appears to be for various
> architectures (/arch/arm/configs) or for specific components but we weren't
> able to find one specifically for the the Overo Air.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Re: How to rebuild the kernel using the Sakoman distribution on the Overo Air COM

Kevyn-Alexandre Paré
A bit late,

This is how I do it for the overo Fire.

git clone git://www.sakoman.com/git/linux-omap-2.6
cd linux-omap-2.6
# Checkout the 3.2 branch
git checkout -b sakoman-omap-3.2 remotes/origin/omap-3.2
cd ..
# Download the meta file to get the config file to build the kernel.
git clone git://www.sakoman.com/git/meta-sakoman
cp meta-sakoman/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-sakoman-3.2/omap3-multi/defconfig linux-omap-2.6/.config

# Set cross compiler variable for the compilation
unset CFLAGS CPPFLAGS CXXFLAGS LDFLAGS MACHINE
export ARCH="arm"
export CROSS_COMPILE="arm-linux-gnueabi-"
export CC="arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc"
export LD="arm-linux-gnueabi-ld"
export STRIP="arm-linux-gnueabi-strip"
# Compile the kernel and use time to improve compilation time -j <number of CPU + 1>
make oldconfig
time make -j 9 uImage
time make -j 9 modules
# Install the modules and firmware (Put the proper /home/<user> in the path)
make INSTALL_MOD_PATH=<path> modules_install
make INSTALL_FW_PATH=/<path>/firmware firmware_install
# Copy kernel image to INSTALL folder
cp arch/arm/boot/uImage /home/kapare/ROGUE/3rdParty/linux-kernel/trunk/LinuxARM/
# Remove directory not used
cd /home/kapare/ROGUE/3rdParty/linux-kernel/trunk/LinuxARM
rm lib/modules/3.2.0+/build
rm lib/modules/3.2.0+/source

This procedure works also for 3.5

-KA