Quantcast

How to mount a compact flash card?

Chuck Randall
As my luck would have it, this page:
         http://docwiki.gumstix.org/HOWTO:_Mount_Compact_Flash_Cards
has no contents.

I'm using a netstix 400xm-cf, build 1161, and I'm trying to mount a
Canon FC-64MH compact flash card, not as a root filesystem, just as a
storage device.

Re: How to mount a compact flash card?

Chuck Randall
Here's what I get when I try to mount the CF card:

# mount -vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/cf
mount: Mounting /dev/hda1 on /mnt/cf failed: No such file or directory

I get the same results for "mount /mnt/cf"

The CF card works fine. I just initialized it with FAT16 on a WinXP box.
Can anyone help out with the correct mount command?
Thanks

On Sep 24, 2007, at 1:37 PM, Chuck Randall wrote:

> As my luck would have it, this page:
>          http://docwiki.gumstix.org/HOWTO:_Mount_Compact_Flash_Cards
> has no contents.
>
> I'm using a netstix 400xm-cf, build 1161, and I'm trying to mount a
> Canon FC-64MH compact flash card, not as a root filesystem, just as a
> storage device.

Re: How to mount a compact flash card?

Chuck Randall
It is interesting to note that I do not have a /dev/hda* on the system.
I've tried modprobe'ing all the ide modules, but no change.
Is my netstix defective?

On Sep 24, 2007, at 8:15 PM, Chuck Randall wrote:

> Here's what I get when I try to mount the CF card:
>
> # mount -vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/cf
> mount: Mounting /dev/hda1 on /mnt/cf failed: No such file or directory
>
> I get the same results for "mount /mnt/cf"
>
> The CF card works fine. I just initialized it with FAT16 on a WinXP
> box.
> Can anyone help out with the correct mount command?
> Thanks
>
> On Sep 24, 2007, at 1:37 PM, Chuck Randall wrote:
>
>> As my luck would have it, this page:
>>          http://docwiki.gumstix.org/HOWTO:_Mount_Compact_Flash_Cards
>> has no contents.
>>
>> I'm using a netstix 400xm-cf, build 1161, and I'm trying to mount a
>> Canon FC-64MH compact flash card, not as a root filesystem, just as a
>> storage device.

Re: How to mount a compact flash card?

Chuck Randall
When the gumstix boots, it notices the CF card (in /var/log/messages):

   gumstix user.notice kernel: pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0

So why can't I mount it?
# mount /mnt/cf

On Sep 24, 2007, at 9:21 PM, Chuck Randall wrote:

> It is interesting to note that I do not have a /dev/hda* on the
> system.
> I've tried modprobe'ing all the ide modules, but no change.
> Is my netstix defective?
>

> On Sep 24, 2007, at 8:15 PM, Chuck Randall wrote:
>
>> Here's what I get when I try to mount the CF card:
>>
>> # mount -vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/cf
>> mount: Mounting /dev/hda1 on /mnt/cf failed: No such file or
>> directory
>>
>> I get the same results for "mount /mnt/cf"
>>
>> The CF card works fine. I just initialized it with FAT16 on a WinXP
>> box.
>> Can anyone help out with the correct mount command?
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Sep 24, 2007, at 1:37 PM, Chuck Randall wrote:
>>
>>> As my luck would have it, this page:
>>>          http://docwiki.gumstix.org/HOWTO:_Mount_Compact_Flash_Cards
>>> has no contents.
>>>
>>> I'm using a netstix 400xm-cf, build 1161, and I'm trying to mount a
>>> Canon FC-64MH compact flash card, not as a root filesystem, just
>>> as a
>>> storage device.

Re: How to mount a compact flash card?

mi Chen
Type this exact line below and you'll be able to mount:
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/cf -t vfat
Be sure you do the:
mkdosfs /dev/hda1
first (that will format the hda1 as fat32).
Optionally, you can also do the
fdisk /dev/hda
to partition the disk.

> From: [hidden email]

> Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:34:20 -0700
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Gumstix-users] How to mount a compact flash card?
>
> When the gumstix boots, it notices the CF card (in /var/log/messages):
>
> gumstix user.notice kernel: pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0
>
> So why can't I mount it?
> # mount /mnt/cf
> mount: Mounting /dev/hda1 on /mnt/cf failed: No such file or directory
>

> On Sep 24, 2007, at 9:21 PM, Chuck Randall wrote:
>
> > It is interesting to note that I do not have a /dev/hda* on the
> > system.
> > I've tried modprobe'ing all the ide modules, but no change.
> > Is my netstix defective?
> >

> > On Sep 24, 2007, at 8:15 PM, Chuck Randall wrote:
> >
> >> Here's what I get when I try to mount the CF card:
> >>
> >> # mount -vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/cf
> >> mount: Mounting /dev/hda1 on /mnt/cf failed: No such file or
> >> directory
> >>
> >> I get the same results for "mount /mnt/cf"
> >>
> >> The CF card works fine. I just initialized it with FAT16 on a WinXP
> >> box.
> >> Can anyone help out with the correct mount command?
> >> Thanks

Re: How to mount a compact flash card?

Craig Hughes
On Sep 24, 2007, at 9:21 PM, Chuck Randall wrote:

> It is interesting to note that I do not have a /dev/hda* on the
> system.
> I've tried modprobe'ing all the ide modules, but no change.
> Is my netstix defective?

Hmm, udev is supposed to create those when it detects the CF card and
identifies it as a storage device.  What does

pccardctl info
pccardctl status

say?

On Sep 25, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Craig Hughes wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2007, at 9:21 PM, Chuck Randall wrote:
>
>> It is interesting to note that I do not have a /dev/hda* on the
>> system.
>> I've tried modprobe'ing all the ide modules, but no change.
>> Is my netstix defective?
>
> Hmm, udev is supposed to create those when it detects the CF card and
> identifies it as a storage device.  What does
>
> pccardctl info
> pccardctl status
>
> say?

Here's what pccardctl says:

# pccardctl info
PRODID_1=""
PRODID_2=""
PRODID_3=""
PRODID_4=""
MANFID=0000,0000
FUNCID=255
# pccardctl status
Socket 0:
   5.0V 16-bit PC Card

Is the card supposed to have all those null values?
Chuck

On Sep 25, 2007, at 4:30 PM, Chuck Randall wrote:

> Here's what pccardctl says:
>
> # pccardctl info
> PRODID_1=""
> PRODID_2=""
> PRODID_3=""
> PRODID_4=""
> MANFID=0000,0000
> FUNCID=255
> # pccardctl status
> Socket 0:
>    5.0V 16-bit PC Card
>
> Is the card supposed to have all those null values?

No -- that's showing some kind of problem.  You may well have a
hardware error on the CF board.  Oh, one last thing to check: can you
send the output of "lsmod"?

On Sep 26, 2007, at 2:14 AM, Craig Hughes wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2007, at 4:30 PM, Chuck Randall wrote:
>
>> Here's what pccardctl says:
>>
>> # pccardctl info
>> PRODID_1=""
>> PRODID_2=""
>> PRODID_3=""
>> PRODID_4=""
>> MANFID=0000,0000
>> FUNCID=255
>> # pccardctl status
>> Socket 0:
>>    5.0V 16-bit PC Card
>>
>> Is the card supposed to have all those null values?
>
> No -- that's showing some kind of problem.  You may well have a
> hardware error on the CF board.  Oh, one last thing to check: can you
> send the output of "lsmod"?

# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
af_packet              16840  2
g_ether                23648  0
pxa2xx_udc             14404  1 g_ether
gumstix_gadget          1504  1 pxa2xx_udc
proc_gpio               7352  0
gumstix_bluetooth       1472  0
ide_disk               13952  0
ide_generic              960  0 [permanent]
ide_cs                  8384  0
pxa2xx_cs               3108  2
pxa2xx_core            10368  1 pxa2xx_cs
pcmcia                 24264  1 ide_cs
firmware_class          8000  1 pcmcia
pcmcia_core            31152  3 ide_cs,pxa2xx_core,pcmcia
ide_core               81504  3 ide_disk,ide_generic,ide_cs
smc91x                 16164  0
mii                     4800  1 smc91x
gumstix_smc91x          2848  1 smc91x
vfat                   10912  0
fat                    49628  1 vfat
nls_base                6656  2 vfat,fat
unix                   22996  12
#

On Sep 26, 2007, at 10:31 AM, Chuck Randall wrote:

> pxa2xx_cs               3108  2
> pxa2xx_core            10368  1 pxa2xx_cs
> pcmcia                 24264  1 ide_cs
> firmware_class          8000  1 pcmcia
> pcmcia_core            31152  3 ide_cs,pxa2xx_core,pcmcia

Yeah, with these loaded, your card should be talking to the gumstix
Ok, but it's not.  Contact Don Anderson <[hidden email]> to arrange
an RMA for your board if you were in the warranty period when you
first contacted us about this.

Sorry!