Quantcast

How to Change the Overo by Gumstix Splash Screen

How to Change the Overo by Gumstix Splash Screen

krutherford
I'm struggling with changing out the Overo splash screen on boot up. I've follow instructions from every post I've found on this subject but nothing is working for me. Has anyone successfully been able to change out this boot up screen? If so, could you please help me out here on this issue.  I really would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: How to Change the Overo by Gumstix Splash Screen

Mark Zieg
Hi Kevin,

I did this just two days ago, for the first time, following these instructions:

Some notes:

  • I used Photoshop to save a standard .png at 320x240 resolution (I'm using a Palo35).
  • On my Ubuntu development desktop, I had to build libffi-3.0.11, glib-2.32.4, and gdk-pixbuf-2.26.2 from sources to get the instructions to work.
  • If you've added INHERIT += " rm_work " to build/conf/local.conf to save disk space, you may need to remove that when following this process.
  • If you've added "I also had to use the "bitbake -c clean pkg" trick a few times.
  •  It turned out that psplash-angstrom is what's already used in the omap3-desktop-nand-image recipe...installing psplash-psplash over the top worked, though probably not elegantly.
  • I didn't end up having to rebuild u-boot or the rootfs, just installed the .ipk's directly.
  • Note you can speed the boot cycle by a few seconds as described here: http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Overo-boot-and-start-up-questions-td655241.html

Hope this helps...

-MZ

On Aug 30, 2012, at 8:23 AM, krutherford wrote:

I'm struggling with changing out the Overo splash screen on boot up. I've
follow instructions from every post I've found on this subject but nothing
is working for me. Has anyone successfully been able to change out this boot
up screen? If so, could you please help me out here on this issue.  I really
would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Kevin

copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in
incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.

Re: How to Change the Overo by Gumstix Splash Screen

bhamadicharef
I used this one ... Customized Boot-Up Visuals
http://antipastohw.pbworks.com/w/page/28320435/Customized%20Boot-Up%20Visuals

Works fine for us

Brahim

Re: How to Change the Overo by Gumstix Splash Screen

krutherford
Thank you Mark & bhamadicharef for posting so quickly. I'm finally starting to make some progress.

Kevin

Re: How to Change the Overo by Gumstix Splash Screen

bhamadicharef
Lucky you ! ... although google helps us all ;-)

Brahim HAMADICHAREF