Quantcast

How can I get "developer image" kernel source code?

How can I get "developer image" kernel source code?

kfcandroid
Hi all,

I have recently started to play around with an Overo Fire and a Chestnut43 board.
My first experiences were with a factory pre-built images and then i found the WiFi speed problem.
Since i was not able to patch it correctly i decided to download the developer image of the following link:

http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/developer/2012-01-22-1750/

This image works fine with my WiFi device, but my school project is to hook up a USB webcam which I think I need to compile my own kernel.

Hence, my question is: Where can i get the source code of this specific version??
                                             How does it looks like? (A file with a long list of text?)
                                             How can I re-compile the kernel?

Since I'm really new to this, any response (detailed would be best :D) will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,

James

Re: How can I get "developer image" kernel source code?

kfcandroid
anyone has an idea or hint?
it's weird since Gumstix posted those developer's kernel online but not the source code for us to re-compile.

Re: How can I get "developer image" kernel source code?

adam.yh.lee
Hi James, can you take a look at the thread on Yocto? It has the latest kernel (v. 3.5).
You can access the source tree too.

Adam

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM, kfcandroid <[hidden email]> wrote:
anyone has an idea or hint?
it's weird since Gumstix posted those developer's kernel online but not the
source code for us to re-compile.

Re: How can I get "developer image" kernel source code?

kfcandroid
This post was updated on .
Thanks for the reply, Adam,
I just discovered the Gumstix actually did provide some source file of the image(?) for download,
if that is true, please ignore my silly question.

This is the address where I downloaded the tar file
http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/developer/2012-01-22-1750/omap3-palmtop-image-overo.tar.bz2

My question is, after I untared the .tar file, I tried to follow the guide provided on Gumstix's website
http://www.gumstix.org/basic-cross-compilation.html

but I didn't see the folders like "arch" so I can't put the omap3_defconfig file under /arch/arm/configs

following is the screenshot of the folder after I untared the file

not to mention when I try to run the following command:

$make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- omap3_defconfig
and
$make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- menuconfig

I got "make: *** No rule to make target `menuconfig'.  Stop."

Please advise me how to configure and compile my own version of kernel, since my experience is very limited.
Thanks in advance, and have a nice weekend, guys!!

James

Re: How can I get "developer image" kernel source code?

derekjchow
Hi James,

If you're trying to recompile the kernel to get the camera driver, I
think you have the wrong kernel source (or rather you don't have the
kernel source at all). The file you linked to
(http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/developer/2012-01-22-1750/omap3-palmtop-image-overo.tar.bz2)
appears to be a root file system tarball, not the kernel source code.
That would explain why your make command fails.

Instead, you need to download the kernel source code. As documented in
http://www.gumstix.org/basic-cross-compilation.html you should create
a directory to hold the kernel and run "git clone
git://www.sakoman.com/git/linux-omap-2.6 linux" inside your created
directory. This will download the kernel source code for you. Continue
to closely follow the instructions on the page (and stop at the
menuconfig step).

Reading a bit more into your emails, I'm guessing you want to install
the UVC video kernel module so your webcam will work. Run the
menuconfig step, and you should see a blue menu. The option you need
to enable is under "Device Drivers"->"Multimedia Support"->"Video
capture adapters"->
"V4L USB Devices"->"USB Video Class". Press "Y" over when the cursor
is over "USB Video Class" to set it to be compiled into your kernel.

Continue to follow the instructions on
http://www.gumstix.org/basic-cross-compilation.html and your SD card
should be set up to work with USB cameras.

Derek

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:27 PM, kfcandroid [via Gumstix]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, Adam,
> I just discovered the Gumstix actually did provide some source file of the
> image(?) for download,
> if that is true, please ignore my silly question.
>
> This is the address where I downloaded the tar file
> http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/developer/2012-01-22-1750/omap3-palmtop-image-overo.tar.bz2
>
> My question is, after I untared the .tar file, I tried to follow the guide
> provided on Gumstix's website
> http://www.gumstix.org/basic-cross-compilation.html
>
> but I didn't see the folders like "arch" so I can't put the omap3_defconfig
> file under /arch/arm/configs
> not to mention when I try to run the following command:
>
> $make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- omap3_defconfig
> and
> $make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- menuconfig
>
> I got "make: *** No rule to make target `menuconfig'.  Stop."
>
> Please advise me how to configure and compile my own version of kernel,
> since my experience is very limited.
> Thanks in advance, and have a nice weekend, guys!!
>
> James

> NAML

Re: How can I get "developer image" kernel source code?

kfcandroid
Thanks a lot Derek, for pointing me out the problem I encountered,

actually I did tried the tutorial on http://www.gumstix.org/basic-cross-compilation.html
but the uImage I generate somehow has some kind of touchscreen (slow  or no response) and WiFi issues (my WiFi hardware can't be detected, etc.)

Is that related to my kernel configuration or related to file system?
Can I keep the palmtop.ubi as file system (file system I download from Gumstix) with my self-generated-kernel in "boot" partition?
Can they (or they are supposed to) work together in this case?

Last, thanks a lot for guiding me through the menuconfig steps, I really appreciate your patient and kindness.

Best,
James

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, Adam,
> I just discovered the Gumstix actually did provide some source file of the
> image(?) for download,
> if that is true, please ignore my silly question.
>
> This is the address where I downloaded the tar file
> http://cumulus.gumstix.org/images/angstrom/developer/2012-01-22-1750/omap3-palmtop-image-overo.tar.bz2
>

> My question is, after I untared the .tar file, I tried to follow the guide
> provided on Gumstix's website
> http://www.gumstix.org/basic-cross-compilation.html
>
> but I didn't see the folders like "arch" so I can't put the omap3_defconfig
> file under /arch/arm/configs
> not to mention when I try to run the following command:
>
> $make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- omap3_defconfig
> and
> $make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- menuconfig
>
> I got "make: *** No rule to make target `menuconfig'.  Stop."
>
> Please advise me how to configure and compile my own version of kernel,
> since my experience is very limited.
> Thanks in advance, and have a nice weekend, guys!!
>
> James

> NAML

http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/How-can-I-get-developer-image-kernel-source-code-tp4965579p4965636.html
To unsubscribe from How can I get "developer image" kernel source code?, click here.

Best,
James