Quantcast

Having trouble with Linaro and getting a recent working version

Having trouble with Linaro and getting a recent working version

Brett Hemes-2
Hello all,

I have been away from the scene for a year or so due to time constraints but am back.  After spending that much time off I decided to try and get a newer image and (right or wrong) decided to try out Linaro after browsing the users wiki.  Additionally I found a tutorial here: http://www.ros.org/wiki/groovy/Installation/Linaro/Source and thought "awesome! this should be nice and easy and when I'm done I'll have a working build of ROS along with my shiny new Linaro distro."  Things are not so.

Basically I am trying to follow the instructions at the following link below to get ROS Mobile variant working on the Overo Fire:
http://www.ros.org/wiki/groovy/Installation/Linaro/Source
The "Newest" Linaro image from github.com/gumstix/Gumstix-Overo-Linaro.git keeps throwing blocking warnings, kernel panics, and a good ole "apt-get update" completely breaks the image (i.e., hangs with a file io error into a kernel panic and then the sd card won't boot again)

I have tried a multitude of other hardware pack / rootfs combinations from the Linaro site over the past weeks and the best I could do was to build ros-base on Linaro 11.09 (hwpack_linaro-overo_20110926 + alip-n-tar-20110929)
This was exciting but I run into issues with missing packages in apt as well as build issues with other dependencies when trying to build/install any variants past ros-base (e.g., robot or mobile).  The suggested (but unstable for me) image from the tutorial has a version of Precise while the issues I am having are in Natty so my current train of thought is that my old (but stable) version is to blame..

...I was going to try using rootstock to put a Ubuntu 12.04 rootfs on the gumstix with the angstrom kernel but it seems that rootstock is now depreciated? ... I guess this is what happens if you take a year off playing with this stuff.

Sorry about the rambling, I am just a bit desperate at this point after a few weeks of flashing sd cards :)

I guess my biggest question is why am I having stability problems with the github Gumstix Linaro image;  any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Other questions I have are
1) is Linaro still even supporting Overo?  The newest version of Linaro on their release server seems to be 12.03 which is over a year old while beagle and panda boards are getting much newer releases.
2) anyone know what the letters (m, n, o) in the Linaro release file names designate.  I seem to have had the most luck with the n's but don't know what it means...

Thanks,
Brett

Re: Having trouble with Linaro and getting a recent working version

derekjchow
Hi Brett,

If you just want an image with Linaro and ROS on it, you may want to try the TurtleCore Image found here:
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/linaro/GumstixLinaroROS_20130204_2.gz

If you feel the need to create your own image, I've created my own using the binary below and the Gumstix Hardware pack from Github.
http://releases.linaro.org/12.08/ubuntu/precise-images/developer/linaro-precise-developer-20120826-336.tar.gz

As for the m,n and o in the Linaro releases, they stand for Maverick, Natty and Oneiric.

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM, Brett Hemes-2 [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://gumstix.8.n6.nabble.com/Having-trouble-with-Linaro-and-getting-a-recent-working-version-tp4966828.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: Having trouble with Linaro and getting a recent working version

jzawodn
Brett Hemes-2 wrote
Basically I am trying to follow the instructions at the following link
below to get ROS Mobile variant working on the Overo Fire:
http://www.ros.org/wiki/groovy/Installation/Linaro/Source
The "Newest" Linaro image from
github.com/gumstix/Gumstix-Overo-Linaro.gitkeeps throwing blocking
warnings, kernel panics, and a good ole "apt-get
update" completely breaks the image (i.e., hangs with a file io error into
a kernel panic and then the sd card won't boot again)
Brett,

I'm in a similar boat with the panic and sd card corruption.  Did you end up finding a good solution?

Thanks,

Jeremy