Quantcast

Gumstix interrupting auto-boot when not connected via serial connection

Gumstix interrupting auto-boot when not connected via serial connection

AndyHall
I am using multiple Gumstix Overo EathSTROMs with a Janus board and a Tobi-Duo on each. I have put a “prebuilt” image onto the SD card following the instructions on the Gumstix website.

When connected with a USB cable to the Janus board, I can talk to the Gumstix all nice and happily; ping them over the network I’ve set up etc. However, when I boot the Gumstixs without this serial connection, the boards often do not boot up fully; I cannot ping them and they appear to be unresponsive.

If I then connect a serial connection to the Gumstix and try any terminal commands, it acts as though I have interrupted the boot sequence; giving me the options to erase the nand etc.

I have erased the environment variables using the “nand erase 240000 20000” command, and I have reset the boards from the command line and so on. Stopping the autoboot only seems to happen when I’m not plugged into the serial connection, so I can’t see any error messages etc.

Any ideas?

Re: Gumstix interrupting auto-boot when not connected via serial connection

Keane, Ben (STRX)
I think this sometimes happens when there is noise on the UART line causing the boot loader to think it should load via serial. Try adding a 10k pull-up between Rx3 and 1v8.

PROPRIETARY: This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be legally privileged.  It is intended for the recipient only.  If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the authority by replying to this e-mail.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.

Re: Gumstix interrupting auto-boot when not connected via serial connection

AndyHall
There is already a 10k pull up on the RXD3 line of a Janus board and there isn't a "RX3" line that I can see. (Searching through the schematic pdf).

Re: Gumstix interrupting auto-boot when not connected via serial connection

Curtis Olson-2
I will state up front that this is "bad" or "dangerous" advice, so don't try it unless you really understand all the implications and dangers.  It's possible to brick your gumstix or make your life very difficult trying to find a way to recover ...

But that said, if in the u-boot loader, you run "setenv bootdelay 0" and then "saveenv", the boot loader will no longer even look for key presses and you will sail right past that point in the boot every time no matter what is getting sent across the console.

*BUT* now you can't stop the boot any more to change parameters back.

*HOWEVER* from inside linux once you are booted you can run "fw_setenv bootdelay 5" to reset the u-boot parameter from inside linux.  This presumes you do have a bootable linux system.

So proceed cautiously and I wouldn't try this on anything other than a well configured system that boots reliable into linux (so that you can reset parameters from the linux command line if you need to get back into u-boot.)

Curt.

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 5:28 AM, AndyHall <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is already a 10k pull up on the RXD3 line of a Janus board and there
isn't a "RX3" line that I can see. (Searching through the schematic pdf).

Curtis Olson:

Re: Gumstix interrupting auto-boot when not connected via serial connection

AndyHall
Thanks, setting bootdelay to 0 does work. (I had thought about it, but didn't know if 0 would set to a wait forever, or how I would set it back again afterwards).

Of course this isn't really an "ideal" solution, so I'm open to any more ideas I can get!

Re: Gumstix interrupting auto-boot when not connected via serial connection

Jeff DeFouw-2
On 10/30/2012 2:00 PM, AndyHall wrote:
> Thanks, setting bootdelay to 0 does work. (I had thought about it, but didn't
> know if 0 would set to a wait forever, or how I would set it back again
> afterwards).
>
> Of course this isn't really an "ideal" solution, so I'm open to any more
> ideas I can get!

If changing the bootdelay works, then you could recompile u-boot with a keyed
autoboot.  That way you can set an entire string that has to be entered within
the bootdelay time in order to interrupt the boot process.  I have an
8-character key with a 1 second bootdelay, and it's easy to paste the key into
a terminal during the boot process when I need to.

--
Jeff DeFouw <[hidden email]>
Programmer

Re: Gumstix interrupting auto-boot when not connected via serial connection

Keane, Ben (STRX)

Yes – sorry – I should have said the 1V8 line should be gated by SYSEN so it doesn’t damage the OMAP.

Re: Gumstix interrupting auto-boot when not connected via serial connection

Ash Charles
Hmm...this looks like a logic error in the Janus schematic to me.  In
the condition that the USB->UART (FT230X) chip is not active---when
the USB cable is not plugged in---the RXD_BUF line could be low (in
fact, looking at the datasheet,
http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/ICs/DS_FT230X.pdf,
'would' be low).  When the OMAP powers on, SYS_EN enables the buffer
which consequently drives the GPIO165_IR_RXD3 line low.  This then
stops the boot sequence in u-boot.

Sound about right?  I guess the fix is just adding a pull-up on RXD_BUF.

The u-boot boot delay fixes suggested are interesting.  @Jeff, it
never crossed my mine to make the boot interrupt a 'password' as
such---ingenious.

--Ash