Quantcast

Gumstix/Yocto WiFi

12

Gumstix/Yocto WiFi

Paul D. DeRocco
Maybe my questions have been too long and involved. Let's try this:

Has ANYONE gotten the WiFi to connect automatically on startup, using a
non-GUI Yocto/Dylan build? If so, how did you do it?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Gumstix/Yocto WiFi

the suicidal eggroll
I can't help on the Yocto/Dylan part of the question, but wifi is
working fine and connecting automatically on my Overo AirSTORM with the
Angstrom console build without issue.

/etc/network/interfaces:

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
     pre-up wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
     down killall wpa_supplicant
     address 192.168.1.182
     netmask 255.255.255.0
     gateway 192.168.1.1

wpa_supplicant.conf:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

### WPA2-PSK
network={
         ssid="ssid"
         psk="psk"
         proto=WPA RSN
         key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
         pairwise=CCMP TKIP
         group=CCMP TKIP
         priority=10
         scan_ssid=1
}

Of course replacing address, netmask, gateway, ssid, and psk with those
from your network.  This is configured for a typical WPA2 network.

-Adam

On 09/26/2013 03:00 PM, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
> Maybe my questions have been too long and involved. Let's try this:
>
> Has ANYONE gotten the WiFi to connect automatically on startup, using a
> non-GUI Yocto/Dylan build? If so, how did you do it?

Re: Gumstix/Yocto WiFi

Paul D. DeRocco
> From: Adam Reynolds [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> I can't help on the Yocto/Dylan part of the question, but wifi is
> working fine and connecting automatically on my Overo
> AirSTORM with the Angstrom console build without issue.

Does that use NetworkManager, ifupdown, connman, or something else to
manage the network?

Also, all I see on the Gumstix site for Angstrom is the images. Is that
something that can be built with bitbake, for which the meta-data are
available?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Gumstix/Yocto WiFi

the suicidal eggroll
It uses ifup/down.

The Angstrom images are built through OpenEmbedded/bitbake.  The
instructions used to be on gumstix.org, but they've been removed since
converting to Yocto.  For the most part it's considered "obsolete" now,
latest uses the 3.2 kernel.

-Adam

On 09/26/2013 03:18 PM, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:

>> From: Adam Reynolds [mailto:[hidden email]]
>>
>> I can't help on the Yocto/Dylan part of the question, but wifi is
>> working fine and connecting automatically on my Overo
>> AirSTORM with the Angstrom console build without issue.
> Does that use NetworkManager, ifupdown, connman, or something else to
> manage the network?
>
> Also, all I see on the Gumstix site for Angstrom is the images. Is that
> something that can be built with bitbake, for which the meta-data are
> available?

Re: Gumstix/Yocto WiFi

Paul D. DeRocco
> From: Adam Reynolds [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> It uses ifup/down.
>
> The Angstrom images are built through OpenEmbedded/bitbake. The
> instructions used to be on gumstix.org, but they've been
> removed since
> converting to Yocto.  For the most part it's considered
> "obsolete" now, latest uses the 3.2 kernel.

Well, I didn't want to build it, I just wanted to look at the meta-data to
see how it was done, so I could copy it into Yocto.

I've had some progress, though. I took gumstix-console-image.bb, removed:

    networkmanager
    networkmanager-tests

and added:

    ifupdown
    dhcp-client
    chkconfig
    start-stop-daemon
    busybox

(I'm only including busybox for run-parts; coreutils takes precedence for
all the other utilities.)

And of course I add my /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf file manually. Now, when I
boot, it still doesn't start automatically (neither WiFi nor ethernet),
but "ifup wlan0" and "ifup eth0" work as expected.

So what's the "right" way to get these to run automatically? Do I just
have to write a systemd unit from scratch? I can do that, but I find it
surprising that the ifupdown package doesn't include systemd support.

Oh, and one more problem: if I reboot, it leaves a spurious
/etc/network/run/ifstate file behind, which makes ifup think that the
interfaces are already configured. Should I just delete this in my systemd
unit, or is there another "right" way to do that?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Gumstix/Yocto WiFi

acsmith
Hi guys,

I just built a 3.5.7 kernel (Dylan 1.4.2) version of the gumstix-console-image and mine didn't have the networkmanager in it.  I built the image, modified the wpa_supplicant.conf file to suit my wireless that has worked on OE - 3.2 kernel.  It would connect to the wireless ("wlan0: link becomes ready"), udhcpc (v1.20.2) starts, sending discover ... , no lease, failing and then the wifi light drops out and never lights up solid again.

ifup / ifdown both work out of the box, didn't need to modify anything.

I copied the gumstix-console-image to my own custom one and the packages listed in this post:
http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Wifi-on-yocto-build-tp4966064p4966065.html but no improvement.

I'll try the packages you mentioned above but right away when I bitbake it I get the "nothing provides error" for the ifupdown package.  So something must be different between our two build environments.

I'll keep messing around with it and post back what I find, good luck.

Andrew

Re: What branch am I on? (was Gumstix/Yocto WiFi)

Paul D. DeRocco
> From: acsmith [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> I just built a 3.5.7 kernel (Dylan 1.4.2) version of the
> gumstix-console-image and mine didn't have the networkmanager
> in it.  I
> built the image, modified the wpa_supplicant.conf file to
> suit my wireless
> that has worked on OE - 3.2 kernel.  It would connect to the wireless
> ("wlan0: link becomes ready"), udhcpc (v1.20.2) starts,
> sending discover ...
> , no lease, failing and then the wifi light drops out and
> never lights up solid again.
>
> ifup / ifdown both work out of the box, didn't need to modify
> anything.

Well, I'm confused. I used repo about a month ago to download everything,
and that's what I've been building with. But whenever I go into any
directory that has a .git subdirectory and type "git branch", it always
says

* (no branch)

So I don't really know what I've got. Maybe I'm still on Danny. But why do
my repositories not appear to have any branches? I don't even understand
how that's possible.

How do I find out where I am? And how do I choose a Poky meta-data branch?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:[hidden email]

Re: What branch am I on? (was Gumstix/Yocto WiFi)

acsmith
I'm no expert on yocto so I can't advice on your issues but I just switched to Danny (1.3). The gumstix console image in that branch looks a bit more similar to what you're describing.  I'm going to compile it with some extra WiFi packages and see how it works.

Andrew

Re: What branch am I on? (was Gumstix/Yocto WiFi)

Paul D. DeRocco
> From: acsmith [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> I'm no expert on yocto so I can't advice on your issues but I
> just switched
> to Danny (1.3). The gumstix console image in that branch
> looks a bit more
> similar to what you're describing.  I'm going to compile it
> with some extra
> WiFi packages and see how it works.

So what did you do to switch? Are you using the repo command to fetch
everything? Or are you using individual git commands on each repository?
It looks to me like the repo command, using the master branch of the
repository manifests, always produces Danny. I tried switching that to the
dev branch, but it barfed and wouldn't let me.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:[hidden email]

Re: What branch am I on? (was Gumstix/Yocto WiFi)

acsmith
I have a separate setup (virtual box) for the different branch. So I didn't switch my Dylan setup, I basically start from scratch with Danny.

Re: What branch am I on? (was Gumstix/Yocto WiFi)

Paul D. DeRocco
> From: acsmith [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> I have a separate setup (virtual box) for the different
> branch. So I didn't
> switch my Dylan setup, I basically start from scratch with Danny.

I mean, how do you fetch Dylan versus Danny? The only instructions I see
for fetching any Gumstix Yocto stuff are here:

https://github.com/gumstix/Gumstix-YoctoProject-Repo

and it doesn't mention Dylan or Danny. I was under the impression that
this is what switched recently from Danny to Dylan, but it looks like I'm
still on Danny. That's why I asked if you're using git commands directly,
instead of the repo script.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:[hidden email]

Re: What branch am I on? (was Gumstix/Yocto WiFi)

adam
Sorry Paul if it was not clear in the doc. If you repo sync'd on the dev branch of Gumstix YoctoProject Repo, you are on Dylan.

Adam

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:18 AM, Paul D. DeRocco [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> From: acsmith [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> I have a separate setup (virtual box) for the different
> branch. So I didn't
> switch my Dylan setup, I basically start from scratch with Danny.

I mean, how do you fetch Dylan versus Danny? The only instructions I see
for fetching any Gumstix Yocto stuff are here:

https://github.com/gumstix/Gumstix-YoctoProject-Repo

and it doesn't mention Dylan or Danny. I was under the impression that
this is what switched recently from Danny to Dylan, but it looks like I'm
still on Danny. That's why I asked if you're using git commands directly,
instead of the repo script.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:[hidden email]

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Gumstix-Yocto-WiFi-tp4967997p4968007.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: What branch am I on? (was Gumstix/Yocto WiFi)

Paul D. DeRocco
> From: adam [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> Sorry Paul if it was not clear in the doc. If you repo sync'd
> on the dev branch of Gumstix YoctoProject Repo, you are on Dylan.

Oh, so the "guaranteed-to-break" branch is Dylan. How
"guaranteed-to-break" is it, really? Can one get any useful work done with
it? When is master likely to switch to Dylan?

And why, with the newest version of the repo scripts that I just
downloaded, do I get the attached errors, trying to switch to the dev
branch? (I've attached them to preserve line breaks.)

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:[hidden email]

junk.txt (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Gumstix/Yocto WiFi

Paul D. DeRocco
> From: acsmith [mailto:[hidden email]]
>
> I just built a 3.5.7 kernel (Dylan 1.4.2) version of the
> gumstix-console-image and mine didn't have the networkmanager
> in it.  I
> built the image, modified the wpa_supplicant.conf file to
> suit my wireless
> that has worked on OE - 3.2 kernel.  It would connect to the wireless
> ("wlan0: link becomes ready"), udhcpc (v1.20.2) starts,
> sending discover ...
> , no lease, failing and then the wifi light drops out and
> never lights up
> solid again.
>
> ifup / ifdown both work out of the box, didn't need to modify
> anything.

I haven't seen quite that combination of failures, but I've seen something
screwy where wpa_supplicant appears to successfully connect, and then
something instantly kills it. This is pretty brittle stuff, I guess.

I have another non-Gumstix project built with Dylan, using ifupdown, and
it does bring up my ethernet on bootup automatically. Even though it's
systemd-based, it still has a lot of old sysvinit scripts, including
"networking", which runs "ifup -a" on startup.

The gumstix-console-image.bb recipe in Danny includes some ad hoc code to
blacklist a bunch of these files, including the "networking" one. I just
checked the Dylan version, and it doesn't have any blacklisting. So I
un-blacklisted it in the Gumstix/Danny recipe, and the script now appears
in /etc/init.d, but it still doesn't appear to run.

I haven't yet figured out why my networking is starting up on that other
project but not in my Gumstix project. In both cases, there are links to
the "networking" script in runlevels 0, 1, 6 and S. It's possible that I'm
on a wild goose chase, and it's something else entirely that's starting
the network on that other system.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Gumstix/Yocto WiFi

acsmith
I got my Danny image up and running.  It's basically a stock Danny gumstix-console-image with the extra WIFI packages added to it (link in previous posts).  Once I configure my wpa_supplicant.conf file and run "ifup wlan0" the adapter connects but unfortunately it doesn't connect fast enough for udhcpc, it times out.  However, as soon as I run "ifup wlan0" again, it obtains an IP address right away.

So unlike my Dylan build, WIFI on a console image on Danny works fine.  Now I'm just trying to figure out how to call a startup script with systemd to call "ifup wlan0".  Since there's no sysvinit I can't do the same /etc/init.d/ script as before.

I'll report back how I make out.

Andrew

Re: Gumstix/Yocto WiFi

dtran11
You can revert back to sysvinit if you like. That is what I did. Systemd has too much overhead. I didn't know how to disable systemd-udev so I removed all of systemd and went back to sysvinit without udev. Makes my system boot a lot faster, around 5 seconds from a cold boot.

Re: Gumstix/Yocto WiFi

Scott Ellis
Ditto on ditching systemd for sysvinit ;-)

This in your local.conf will get you a udev system without systemd
(unless you pull it in with something else).

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_udev = "udev"

Re: Gumstix/Yocto WiFi

sandmen
Scott Ellis wrote
Ditto on ditching systemd for sysvinit ;-)

This in your local.conf will get you a udev system without systemd
(unless you pull it in with something else).

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_udev = "udev"
Didn't work on master branch. :-(
Got the failure:
Multiple .bb files systemd_git.bb & udev_182.bb .
Any idea?

Re: Gumstix/Yocto WiFi

Scott Ellis
Yes. You have some other recipe pulling in systemd. That or it's defined as
a PREFERENCE in one of the conf files you are using.

I know that probably doesn't help you as much as you like, but I don't use
anything from the Gumstix repos except the kernel and u-boot from
meta-gumstix.

My images are all custom.

I'm building with Yocto 1.4.2 the latest on the [dylan] branch as of a few
days ago and so I know it still works fine. That's the latest released branch
of Yocto.

Re: Gumstix/Yocto WiFi

Scott Ellis
Here is a layer that demonstrates a working system (not actually the one I'm using now, but similar)

https://github.com/Pansenti/meta-pansenti

Instructions for using it are here

http://www.jumpnowtek.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=85:yocto-gumstix&catid=35:gumstix&Itemid=97

The pansenti-qte-image will give you a quick booting console image with gcc/g++ and tools, Qt4.8.4 embedded, git, ssh server and avahi-daemon.

And to stay on topic, wireless works on boot ;-)

Of course you'll want to customize it for any particular project. I just use it as a starting point.
12