Quantcast

Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

12

Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

acsmith
Hi guys,

I'm trying to build a kernel for the Pepper using

bitbake virtual/kernel

I've set MACHINE ?= "pepper" in local.conf.  When I run the bitbake command it begins to build the 3.2 kernel which is expected.  However, when it begins compiling the kernel I get a message (after looking in the log)

  CC      drivers/hid/hid-chicony.o
  CC      sound/usb/pcm.o
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `firmware/am335x-pm-firmware.bin', needed by `firmware/am335x-pm-firmware.bin.gen.o'.  Stop.
  MK_FW   firmware/am335x-pm-firmware.bin.gen.S
make: *** [firmware] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
  CC      fs/ubifs/compress.o
  CC      drivers/hid/hid-cypress.o

So I followed this suggestion, downloaded the firmware manually and put it in the folder.  When I run bitbake virtual/kernel again it passes that error (I can check and see that indeed am335x-pm-firmware.bin.gen.o was generated) but then I get a different error

  LD      init/built-in.o
  LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
drivers/built-in.o: In function `musb_probe':
:(.init.text+0x5e3c): undefined reference to `dma_controller_create'
drivers/built-in.o: In function `musb_free':
:(.text.unlikely+0x774): undefined reference to `dma_controller_destroy'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
ERROR: oe_runmake failed

After googling this a bit, it seems like it's a kernel configuration issue.  I just resynced my repo today (on Dylan).  I see that within the meta-gumstix/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-gumstix-3.2 there is a pepper folder that has a specific defconfig.  However, when I compare that defconfig with the one in the tmp/work/pepper-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-gumstix/3.2-r1, I see that the two differ by a single line (CONFIG_ARM_ERRATA_430973=y is in the pepper one), meaning that defconfig isn't being applied.  I've manually copied the file over (so making the single change) and tried recompiling and it doesn't make any difference so I don't think that's the problem but good to know that the specific defconfig isn't being applied.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

acsmith
Just to add a bit more information to this, I may have found the problem with the 'firmware/am335x-pm-firmware.bin' file not being found.  I looked in the git://github.com/gumstix/linux.git;branch=am335x-3.2;protocol=git  repository and indeed found the am335x-pm-firmware.bin file so it's weird that it didn't grab that file when it downloaded the source ... except that the .gitignore file in that directory has "*.bin" included.  I'm guessing that's what is causing one of the problems.

Re: Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

adam
 Hi Andrew, I just built the Pepper kernel with no errors.
I also checked out am335x-3.2 branch and I see the .bin file.
Is it possible that you repo sync was interrupted?

Let me know!

Adam

<https://github.com/gumstix/linux/tree/am335x-3.2/firmware>    repository
and indeed found the am335x-pm-firmware.bin file so it's weird that it
didn't grab that file when it downloaded the source ... except that the
.gitignore file in that directory has "*.bin" included.  I'm guessing that's
what is causing one of the problems.

Re: Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

acsmith
Hi Adam,

Thanks for testing that.  Unfortunately I just ran a repo sync, then

bitbake -c cleansstate virtual/kernel
bitbake -c cleanall virtual/kernel
bitbake virtual/kernel

and I still get the same error.  You compiled on the Dylan branch?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

acsmith
I just confirmed that if I clone and checkout the am335x-3.2 branch of gumstix-linux I do get the am335x-pm-firmware.bin file in the directory.  So I'm not sure why the linux-gumstix_3.2.bb doesn't fetch all the necessary files on my machine.  I don't really want to remove the build directory and start from scratch but I'm not sure how else to fix the problem.

I'd appreciate comments/suggestions from others who've experienced something similar [under Dylan, changing kernels doesn't compile, pepper building ...].

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

adam
Hi Andrew, I am trying to get some data here.
I ran the commands, and this is my bitbake log - http://paste.ubuntu.com/6746689/
I also see am335x-pm-firmware.bin in /build/tmp/sysroots/pepper/usr/src/kernel/firmware.

Adam

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:49 AM, acsmith <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just confirmed that if I clone and checkout the am335x-3.2 branch of
gumstix-linux I do get the am335x-pm-firmware.bin file in the directory.  So
I'm not sure why the linux-gumstix_3.2.bb doesn't fetch all the necessary
files on my machine.  I don't really want to remove the build directory and
start from scratch but I'm not sure how else to fix the problem.

I'd appreciate comments/suggestions from others who've experienced something
similar [under Dylan, changing kernels doesn't compile, pepper building
...].

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

acsmith
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the log.  First thing I noticed was that my "bitbake virtual/kernel" tries to run 573 tasks as opposed to your 562 tasks.  Shouldn't those be the same number?  Only difference in the initial stuff is that I'm running this on an x86 machine [BUILD_SYS         = "i686-linux"] as opposed to your [BUILD_SYS         = "x86_64-linux"].  I'm running it on a VirtualBox Ubuntu 12.04LTS machine.

Also, I don't have a build/tmp/sysroorts/pepper/usr/src directory, in the usr/ directory I have bin/, include/, lib/ and share/.

Any ideas?  Thanks again.

Andrew

Re: Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

adam
Hi Andrew, I am not sure about the # of tasks making difference. It may be our architecture differences like you mentioned.

Can you check the following?

ubuntu@ip-10-247-0-99:/mnt/yocto_dylan/build/tmp/work/pepper-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-gumstix/3.2-r0$ find ./ -name *.bin
./package/usr/src/kernel/firmware/am335x-pm-firmware.bin
./git/firmware/am335x-pm-firmware.bin
./packages-split/kernel-dev/usr/src/kernel/firmware/am335x-pm-firmware.bin
./sysroot-destdir/usr/src/kernel/firmware/am335x-pm-firmware.bin
./image/usr/src/kernel/firmware/am335x-pm-firmware.bin
./deploy-linux-gumstix/uImage--3.2-r0-pepper-20140113192106.bin

Let me know!

Adam

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 12:47 PM, acsmith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the log.  First thing I noticed was that my "bitbake
virtual/kernel" tries to run 573 tasks as opposed to your 562 tasks.
Shouldn't those be the same number?  Only difference in the initial stuff is
that I'm running this on an x86 machine [BUILD_SYS         = "i686-linux"]
as opposed to your [BUILD_SYS         = "x86_64-linux"].  I'm running it on
a VirtualBox Ubuntu 12.04LTS machine.

Also, I don't have a build/tmp/sysroorts/pepper/usr/src directory, in the
usr/ directory I have bin/, include/, lib/ and share/.

Any ideas?  Thanks again.

Andrew

Re: Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

acsmith
Hi Adam,

The find command returns nothing (no *.bin files).  The fetch command as part of the build is definitely not grabbing the am335x-am-firmware.bin file (it's not in the git folder).

Is there a way to check the remote source of the files in the ./git folder?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

acsmith
acsmith wrote
Hi Adam,

The find command returns nothing (no *.bin files).  The fetch command as part of the build is definitely not grabbing the am335x-am-firmware.bin file (it's not in the git folder).

Is there a way to check the remote source of the files in the ./git folder?

Thanks,

Andrew
I played with this, using "git remote -v" inside the ./git folder I found the source build/downloads/git2/github.com.gumstix.linux.git

Looking inside this folder there's a bunch of info about that repository.  A file inside there (FETCH_HEAD) lists all the branches, including am335x-3.2 and mainline.  However, looking at the file HEAD it lists ref: refs/heads/mainline.  Should this be am335x-3.2?  What does your folder look like?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

adam.yh.lee
My directory looks the same as yours. However the kernel branch is specified here: https://github.com/gumstix/meta-gumstix/blob/dylan/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-gumstix_3.2.bb

I believe the am335x-pm-firmware.bin file gets generated during the build, so it's natural that it doesn't get fetched. I am confirming this at the moment.

Adam

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 1:24 PM, acsmith <[hidden email]> wrote:
acsmith wrote
> Hi Adam,
>
> The find command returns nothing (no *.bin files).  The fetch command as
> part of the build is definitely not grabbing the am335x-am-firmware.bin
> file (it's not in the git folder).
>
> Is there a way to check the remote source of the files in the ./git
> folder?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew

I played with this, using "git remote -v" inside the ./git folder I found
the source build/downloads/git2/github.com.gumstix.linux.git

Looking inside this folder there's a bunch of info about that repository.  A
file inside there (FETCH_HEAD) lists all the branches, including am335x-3.2
and mainline.  However, looking at the file HEAD it lists ref:
refs/heads/mainline.  Should this be am335x-3.2?  What does your folder look
like?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

adam
Hi Andrew,
If I do bitbake -c fetch virtual/kernel, I don't see the firmware file. When I run bitbake -c configure virtual/kernel however, I see it in /tmp/work/pepper-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-gumstix/3.2-r0/git/firmware/am335x-pm-firmware.bin

Can you see if that's where your build fails?

Adam

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Adam Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
My directory looks the same as yours. However the kernel branch is specified here: https://github.com/gumstix/meta-gumstix/blob/dylan/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-gumstix_3.2.bb

I believe the am335x-pm-firmware.bin file gets generated during the build, so it's natural that it doesn't get fetched. I am confirming this at the moment.

Adam

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 1:24 PM, acsmith <[hidden email]> wrote:
acsmith wrote
> Hi Adam,
>
> The find command returns nothing (no *.bin files).  The fetch command as
> part of the build is definitely not grabbing the am335x-am-firmware.bin
> file (it's not in the git folder).
>
> Is there a way to check the remote source of the files in the ./git
> folder?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew

I played with this, using "git remote -v" inside the ./git folder I found
the source build/downloads/git2/github.com.gumstix.linux.git

Looking inside this folder there's a bunch of info about that repository.  A
file inside there (FETCH_HEAD) lists all the branches, including am335x-3.2
and mainline.  However, looking at the file HEAD it lists ref:
refs/heads/mainline.  Should this be am335x-3.2?  What does your folder look
like?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

acsmith
Hi Adam,

Yep I can confirm that with bitbake -c fetch virtual/kernel the .bin file isn't there (in fact the git directory is empty).  However, after the -c configure command competes successfully the directory is no longer empty but I'm still not seeing the am335x-pm-firmware.bin.  So it looks like that's the issue.

Suggestions on what I should look into?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

adam
Hi Andrew, hmm can you check the size of the git directory like below? I wonder what else is missing...

du -h tmp/work/pepper-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-gumstix/3.2-r0/git

517M    tmp/work/pepper-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-gumstix/3.2-r0/git

Adam

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 4:19 PM, acsmith [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Adam,

Yep I can confirm that with bitbake -c fetch virtual/kernel the .bin file isn't there (in fact the git directory is empty).  However, after the -c configure command competes successfully the directory is no longer empty but I'm still not seeing the am335x-pm-firmware.bin.  So it looks like that's the issue.

Suggestions on what I should look into?

Thanks,

Andrew

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Gumstix-Pepper-Dylan-Kernel-Fail-tp4968541p4968562.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

acsmith
Mine is showing up as 510M, so obviously mine is fetching & unpacking a different package than yours.  My guess is that for some reason I'm grabbing a different branch.  I'll poke around and try some things and see if I can get things to work.  If I can at least confirm what the problem is, that would be a start.

I'll let you know what I find out.  Thanks again for the help Adam.

Andrew

adam wrote

Adam

Re: Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

acsmith
Well I did a bit more playing around, basically trying to either download the firmware manually or figure out exactly what is being downloaded.  After cleaning virtual/kernel (cleansstate and cleanall), it removes the directory downloads/git2/github.com.gumstix.linux.git and file downloads/git2/github.com.gumstix.linux.git.done.  So I made an empty directory with the same name and used touch to create the .done file.  Then I ran bitbake -c configure virtual/kernel.  This is what came out

NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
NOTE: Preparing runqueue
NOTE: Executing SetScene Tasks
NOTE: Executing RunQueue Tasks
WARNING: Failed to fetch URL git://github.com/gumstix/linux.git;branch=omap-3.2;protocol=git, attempting MIRRORS if available
ERROR: Fetcher failure: Fetch command failed with exit code 128, output:
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

ERROR: Function failed: Fetcher failure for URL: 'git://github.com/gumstix/linux.git;branch=omap-3.2;protocol=git'. Unable to fetch URL from any source.
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/andrew/yocto-dylan/build/tmp/work/pepper-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-gumstix/3.2-r1/temp/log.do_fetch.17053
ERROR: Task 2 (/home/andrew/yocto-dylan/poky/meta-gumstix/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-gumstix_3.2.bb, do_fetch) failed with exit code '1'
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 222 tasks of which 221 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.
No currently running tasks (184 of 225)

So indeed it looks as though it's trying to grab the omap-3.2 branch instead of the am335x-3.2 branch.  Here's a copy of my /home/andrew/yocto-dylan/poky/meta-gumstix/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-gumstix_3.2.bb file.

require linux.inc

DESCRIPTION = "Linux kernel for OMAP processors"
KERNEL_IMAGETYPE = "uImage"

COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "pepper"

BOOT_SPLASH ?= "logo_linux_clut224-generic.ppm"
PV = "3.2"

S = "${WORKDIR}/git"

SRCREV = "${AUTOREV}"
SRC_URI = "git://github.com/gumstix/linux.git;branch=am335x-3.2;protocol=git \
           file://defconfig \
           file://${BOOT_SPLASH} \
           "

Pretty weird.  At this point it might be a lot easier to start from scratch but I'm really interested as to what is causing the problems.  Comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

adam
Good morning Andrew! Have you tried from scratch (ie, fresh repo init/sync)?
I am too very curious to find out why this is happening.

Adam

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 9:09 PM, acsmith <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

do_fetch

So indeed it looks as though it's trying to grab the omap-3.2 branch instead
of the am335x-3.2 branch.  Here's a copy of my
/home/andrew/yocto-dylan/poky/meta-gumstix/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-gumstix_3.2.bb
file.

require linux.inc

DESCRIPTION = "Linux kernel for OMAP processors"
KERNEL_IMAGETYPE = "uImage"

COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "pepper"

BOOT_SPLASH ?= "logo_linux_clut224-generic.ppm"
PV = "3.2"

S = "${WORKDIR}/git"

SRCREV = "${AUTOREV}"
SRC_URI = "git://github.com/gumstix/linux.git;branch=am335x-3.2;protocol=git
\
           file://defconfig \
           file://${BOOT_SPLASH} \
           "

Pretty weird.  At this point it might be a lot easier to start from scratch
but I'm really interested as to what is causing the problems.
Comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

acsmith
Hi Adam,

I was in the process of setting up a new build system from scratch and I was configuring my bblayers.conf file (to include some extra layers I use) when I realized it could be a problem with one of those.  One of the layers I'm using is Scott Ellis' meta-pansenti layer.  It works great and has been awesome to build simple console images for me.  However, inside it he has a linux-gumstix_3.2.bbappend file.

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}-${PV}:"

PRINC := "${@int(PRINC) + 1}"

COMPATIBLE_MACHINE_overo = "overo"

BOOT_SPLASH = ""

SRCREV = "${AUTOREV}"
SRC_URI = "git://github.com/gumstix/linux.git;branch=omap-3.2;protocol=git \
           file://defconfig \
           file://libertas-async-fwload.patch \
          "

Everything looks as it should (it says it's only compatible with overo) but when I remove/rename this file, my pepper kernel builds without hiccup (including the am335x-pm-firmware.bin).  However, when put the linux-gumstix_3.2.bbappend back in, bitbake increments the build (linux-gumstix-3.2-r1 instead of r0) and the build fails because it's grabbing the wrong branch (omap-3.2).

Any ideas why this bbappend file is being applied even though it's meant for a different machine?

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

Scott Ellis
I think it should be

COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "overo"

Otherwise, when MACHINE=<something other then overo> in your
local.conf, this line is not seen and this recipe ends up being used.

That's my guess.

Re: Gumstix Pepper Dylan Kernel Fail

acsmith
Scott Ellis wrote
I think it should be

COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "overo"

Otherwise, when MACHINE=<something other then overo> in your
local.conf, this line is not seen and this recipe ends up being used.

That's my guess.
Thanks for the input Scott, I thought that too but making that changes doesn't make any difference.  I'm not super worried about it since I've got something that works.
12