Quantcast

Gumstix Overo Android boot kernel parameters

Gumstix Overo Android boot kernel parameters

joechege
I'm using the latest files from the build bot for Android Overo on my Ironstorm Y. I was able to the the SD card and I set the Kernel parameters like shown on this link https://wiki.gumstix.com/index.php/RowboatAndroid#Using_Android.

# setenv anddisplay 'vram=8M omapfb.mode=dvi:1024x768MR-16@60 omapdss.def_disp=lcd43'
# setenv andconsole 'console=ttyS2,115200n8 console=tty0 androidboot.console=ttyS2'
# setenv androot 'root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootfstype=ext3 rootwait init=/init'
# setenv andbootargs 'setenv bootargs mpurate=500 ${andconsole} ${androot} ${anddisplay}'
# setenv andbootcmd 'mmc init; fatload mmc 0 ${loadaddr} uImage; run andbootargs; bootm ${loadaddr}'
# saveenv
# run andbootcmd being the boot command.
When I run the script changing the path to my SD card I get the error:
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
mmc - MMC sub system

Usage:
mmc info - display info of the current MMC device
mmc read addr blk# cnt
mmc write addr blk# cnt
mmc erase blk# cnt
mmc rescan
mmc part - lists available partition on current mmc device
mmc dev [dev] [part] - show or set current mmc device [partition]
mmc list - lists available devices
mmc setdsr <value> - set DSR register value

reading uImage
** Unable to read file uImage **
Wrong Image Format for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
Overo #
What could I be doing wrong?

Re: Gumstix Overo Android boot kernel parameters

fred

Hi again,

After a little bit of research, it seems like `mmc init` is deprecatred. Try to use `mmc rescan` instead.

Let us know if this works.

On 12/16/2016 11:01 AM, Fred Lamer wrote:

Hi,

On 12/16/2016 09:43 AM, Joe Anthony Karogi wrote:
I'm using the latest files from the build bot for Android Overo on my Ironstorm Y. I was able to the the SD card and I set the Kernel parameters like shown on this link https://wiki.gumstix.com/index.php/RowboatAndroid#Using_Android.

# setenv anddisplay 'vram=8M omapfb.mode=dvi:1024x768MR-16@60 omapdss.def_disp=lcd43'
# setenv andconsole 'console=ttyS2,115200n8 console=tty0 androidboot.console=ttyS2'
# setenv androot 'root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootfstype=ext3 rootwait init=/init'
# setenv andbootargs 'setenv bootargs mpurate=500 ${andconsole} ${androot} ${anddisplay}'
# setenv andbootcmd 'mmc init; fatload mmc 0 ${loadaddr} uImage; run andbootargs; bootm ${loadaddr}'
# saveenv
From what I can see, you are trying to run the script `andbootcmd`. The first step of your script is to run the command `mmc init`, which doesn't seem to exist based on the `mmc` command list bellow... The system is telling you that the command `mmc init` doesn't exist.
[...]

Hi Fred,

Thank you for the reply. I gave that a try but unfortunately it didn't work and I'm getting the same error.

The Android Gumstix Github page hasn't had any work done on it since mid last year, is it worth to keep trying to make it work for this project?

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Fred Lamer <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

From what I can see, you are trying to run the script `andbootcmd`. The first step of your script is to run the command `mmc init`, which doesn't seem to exist based on the `mmc` command list bellow... The system is telling you that the command `mmc init` doesn't exist.
[...]

Akram Hameed
Hola Joe,

Is it possible you don't have a uImage but instead a zImage?

Check out the 'fatls' command in u-boot. You can use it to examine your boot partition as u-boot sees it.

Example usage, assume you did an mmc rescan:

fatls mmc 0:1

Cheers,

Akram

On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 4:54 AM, Joe Anthony Karogi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From what I can see, you are trying to run the script `andbootcmd`. The first step of your script is to run the command `mmc init`, which doesn't seem to exist based on the `mmc` command list bellow... The system is telling you that the command `mmc init` doesn't exist.
[...]

Nice though Akram!

Joe, where did you get your android image? I just check on gumstix's website (where you can download prebuilt images:

https://www.gumstix.com/software/software-downloads/

If click on android, then on "Overo Series COM", you get a dropdown menu with all the things you need to build you android image. You can also find a boot scrip:

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/gumstix-android/2015-05-16/overo/dev/uEnv.txt

In this bootscript example, you can see than the image use a zImage (new way) instead of a uImage (old way). This script is used in a uEnv.txt file, which will overwrite the u-boot environment variable when placed in the boot partition. Just try to copy this "uEnv.txt" in your boot partition.

Fred

On 12/18/2016 04:44 PM, Akram Hameed wrote:
[...]

From what I can see, you are trying to run the script `andbootcmd`. The first step of your script is to run the command `mmc init`, which doesn't seem to exist based on the `mmc` command list bellow... The system is telling you that the command `mmc init` doesn't exist.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot _______________________________________________ gumstix-users mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot _______________________________________________ gumstix-users mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gumstix-users

Re: Gumstix Overo Android boot kernel parameters

joechege
I got the image from that link. I have also tried the ones from https://buildbot.gumstix.com/builders.

Overo # fatls mmc 0:1
    59500   mlo
   403600   u-boot.img
      480   uenv.txt
   238465   uinitrd
            system volume information/

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 8:42 AM, Fred Lamer <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

From what I can see, you are trying to run the script `andbootcmd`. The first step of your script is to run the command `mmc init`, which doesn't seem to exist based on the `mmc` command list bellow... The system is telling you that the command `mmc init` doesn't exist.
[...]

Sorry I sent the previous message before I finished typing.

I got the image from that link. I have also tried the ones from
https://buildbot.gumstix.com/builders.
I used this script https://github.com/gumdroid/common/blob/master/mkandroidsd/mkandroidsd.sh modified to work with Ubuntu 16.04 to flash the SD card.
I can verify using Akram's instructions that the files are in the SD card including the uenv.txt. Here is the output.

Overo # fatls mmc 0:1
    59500   mlo
   403600   u-boot.img
      480   uenv.txt
   238465   uinitrd
            system volume information/

What could I be doing wrong? Here is the boot with does this and hangs.

 ▒tذb▒
U-Boot SPL 2014.10-g2775fbf (Nov 04 2016 - 20:41:55)
SPL: Please implement spl_start_uboot() for your board
SPL: Direct Linux boot not active!
reading u-boot.img
reading u-boot.img

U-Boot 2014.10-g2775fbf (Nov 04 2016 - 20:41:55)

OMAP36XX/37XX-GP ES1.2, CPU-OPP2, L3-200MHz, Max CPU Clock 1 Ghz
Gumstix Overo board + LPDDR/NAND
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  512 MiB
▒tذb▒
U-Boot SPL 2014.10-g2775fbf (Nov 04 2016 - 20:41:55)
SPL: Please implement spl_start_uboot() for your board
SPL: Direct Linux boot not active!
reading u-boot.img
reading u-boot.img

U-Boot 2014.10-g2775fbf (Nov 04 2016 - 20:41:55)

OMAP36XX/37XX-GP ES1.2, CPU-OPP2, L3-200MHz, Max CPU Clock 1 Ghz
Gumstix Overo board + LPDDR/NAND
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  512 MiB
NAND:  1024 MiB
MMC:   OMAP SD/MMC: 0
Board revision: 4
Direct connection on mmc2
No EEPROM on expansion board
Die ID #0c5e00029ff800000160b34b11015020
Net:   No ethernet found.

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Joe Anthony Karogi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From what I can see, you are trying to run the script `andbootcmd`. The first step of your script is to run the command `mmc init`, which doesn't seem to exist based on the `mmc` command list bellow... The system is telling you that the command `mmc init` doesn't exist.
[...]

Hi Joe,

I don't see any kernel image for download (nor is there one in your fat partition). The init ramdisk image is there - I haven't personally tried to get Android going myself, so you'll want some help from someone else I guess.

My personal feeling is that there should be a uImage/zImage file on the gumstix download site and that this should be used with the uinitrd. Alternatively, perhaps the kernel is in the uinitrd and you can boot from that.

Assuming the latter, you'd need to change the boot parameters to look for that file, rather than the uImage file, and then use it to boot. In the very least, do a fatload, and pass in the address and size of the image to bootm.

Good luck!

Akram

On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 4:25 AM, Joe Anthony Karogi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From what I can see, you are trying to run the script `andbootcmd`. The first step of your script is to run the command `mmc init`, which doesn't seem to exist based on the `mmc` command list bellow... The system is telling you that the command `mmc init` doesn't exist.
[...]

Did you try the image here: https://www.gumstix.com/software/software-downloads/ ?

Fred

On 01/03/2017 09:07 PM, Akram Hameed wrote:
[...]

From what I can see, you are trying to run the script `andbootcmd`. The first step of your script is to run the command `mmc init`, which doesn't seem to exist based on the `mmc` command list bellow... The system is telling you that the command `mmc init` doesn't exist.
[...]

Those were the first files I looked at before I went on to the others on the buildbot site. Do I need to look for a separate Kernel image file like Akram mentioned or should those suffice?

Regards,
Joe.

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Fred Lamer <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

From what I can see, you are trying to run the script `andbootcmd`. The first step of your script is to run the command `mmc init`, which doesn't seem to exist based on the `mmc` command list bellow... The system is telling you that the command `mmc init` doesn't exist.
[...]

Those files should work, they are the one provided by Gumstix. If they don't work, then Gumstix should fix this issue...

Fred

I had a look over here: https://www.gumstix.com/software/software-downloads/

[...]

From what I can see, you are trying to run the script `andbootcmd`. The first step of your script is to run the command `mmc init`, which doesn't seem to exist based on the `mmc` command list bellow... The system is telling you that the command `mmc init` doesn't exist.