Quantcast

Gumstix DuoVero Wifi setup

senia
Hello!
I've just copied new iso with Ubuntu on my Gumstix from here:
https://catalina.gumstix.com/binaries/?sort=-last_updated&search=ubuntu-duovero-master-iso
But I don't understand how to setup my Wifi module. Dmesg says that wifi firmware is running, but I can't start any wireless interface. Ethernet works fine.
I used this guide:
https://wiki.gumstix.com/index.php/Overo_Wifi
But it's for Overo, so may be it won't run on Duovero?
Can anyone help me with my problem?
Thank you

Re: Gumstix DuoVero Wifi setup

arun
Hi Senia,

The instructions for enabling WiFi on DuoVero is here: https://github.com/gumstix/live-build/wiki/Enabling-WiFi-on-Gumstix-Ubuntu

Please try it and see if that helps.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 3:41 AM, senia [via Gumstix] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello!
I've just copied new iso with Ubuntu on my Gumstix from here:
https://catalina.gumstix.com/binaries/?sort=-last_updated&search=ubuntu-duovero-master-iso
But I don't understand how to setup my Wifi module. Dmesg says that wifi firmware is running, but I can't start any wireless interface. Ethernet works fine.
I used this guide:
https://wiki.gumstix.com/index.php/Overo_Wifi
But it's for Overo, so may be it won't run on Duovero?
Can anyone help me with my problem?
Thank you

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Gumstix-DuoVero-Wifi-setup-tp4971032.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: Gumstix DuoVero Wifi setup

senia
Hello!
Thanks for reply!
I've tried both methods, but after reboot nothing happens.

iwconfig tells:
sit0  no wireless extensions
lo  no wireless extensions
mlan0  no wireless extensions
eth0  no wireless extensions

dmesg | grep wifi:
mwifiex_sdio mmc1:0001:1: WLAN FW already running! Skip FW dnld
mwifiex_sdio mmc1:0001:1: WLAN FW is active
mwifiex_sdio mmc1:0001:1: driver_version = mwifiex 1.0

So, if I'm right, firmware works for wifi module, but I can't configure it. Or not
Thank you

Re: Gumstix DuoVero Wifi setup

senia
Any suggestions?
I tried method 2 from Arun's instruction and when I look to console while gumstix booting, I see message:
[FAILED]Network service failed to start

Am I right that DuoVero's wireless interface is mlan0 ?

Re: Gumstix DuoVero Wifi setup

arun
Hi Senia,

If you change the wlan0 to mlan0 in the /etc/network/interfaces, does it help bring up the wireless?

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Gumstix-DuoVero-Wifi-setup-tp4971032p4971038.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: Gumstix DuoVero Wifi setup

senia
Hello!
I tried mlan0 and wlan0, but it didn't help.

Re: Gumstix DuoVero Wifi setup

Andrew C. Smith
Hi

What OS are you trying to load on your Overo?

The one you were linking to is meant for the DuoVero, so it shouldn't work on your Overo.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Gumstix DuoVero Wifi setup

senia
Hello
I use Gumstix Duovero Zephyr, so I try Ubuntu console version for this board.
I didn't tell that I use Overo

Re: Gumstix DuoVero Wifi setup

Andrew C. Smith
Is there a reason why you're using Ubuntu?  I would recommend using a Yocto build first, making sure everything works and then testing out Ubuntu.

The reason for Ubuntu is that I use this OS on my PC. And I'm not familiar with Yocto Linux. So, I decided to use Ubuntu with my DuoVero, actually, gumstix offers Ubuntu for this COM on it's official site. So, you think that I won't have problems with Yocto on DuoVero? If so, may be I should really try this distro. But it's very strange for me that Ubuntu doesn't work well. Why gumstix offers this OS in this case?

Re: Gumstix DuoVero Wifi setup

Andrew C. Smith
Yes Gumstix offers Ubuntu for most of our platforms but it's not as frequently updated.

I just tried booting with a ubuntu-duovero-master image and everything boots up properly but I'm seeing issues with the WiFi as well.  So there might need to be some tweaks made to get WiFi working again.

I asked about using Yocto because that is frequently updated and is known working so it's a good place to start when debugging hardware issues.  I would suggest trying Yocto briefly and confirm that you can see the WiFi interface there.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Gumstix DuoVero Wifi setup

senia
Ok, I should try Yocto in this case.
So, instruction for WiFi on DuoVero, that was given by Arun, doesn't help.
But, if I'm right, it helped some people. It depends from downloaded ubuntu image version?

Re: Gumstix DuoVero Wifi setup

arun
Hi Senia,

I tried both yocto and ubuntu on my duovero here and wifi comes up fine on yocto while on ubuntu it fails to get an ip address although the wifi interface comes up. I will take a look at this issue but in the meantime please use yocto since everything is confirmed to be working on it.

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Gumstix-DuoVero-Wifi-setup-tp4971032p4971059.html
To start a new topic under Gumstix, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Gumstix, click here.

Re: Gumstix DuoVero Wifi setup

senia
Ok, thank you for help