Quantcast

Gumstix Dead?

seesemichaelj
This post was updated on .
Hello all,

Today I powered my DuoVero through a Parlor with a steady 5V source, got no response from serial. Unplugged the board and plugged it using the Gumstix wall adapter (a tried and tested working method), and yet still no response on the serial. Baud rate 115200, 1 stop bit, no parity, no flow control, 8 data bits. I've tried on 2 separate Parlor boards, verified they get 5V, and the 3.3V regulator works. Next step would be to verify the crystal oscillator works but it's on the bottom of the Gumstix and very hard (close to impossible) to probe while connected to power (via the Parlor).

My computer recognizes the serial COM port and I'm using the exact same setup since 2 days ago. I've tried two different SD cards too, but they all are fine. I don't know how to verify if my Gumstix is dead without purchasing another one. There was no ESD that I could consciously feel, and the Parlor won't let more than the maximum of 1A through the power. I've checked all of the fuses on the Parlor and Gumstix boards and they're all fine (all of the fuses that are labeled).

I've tried different USB cables, I haven't tried a different computer due to not having one around currently. Also I verified the first 5V source (first time I've used it) with a USB hub and everything work great, so I don't know what it could be. I have looked at all the pins on the 2 70-pin headers on the Gumstix and they seem to look fine at what I can see.

How can I find out if my board is dead without buying another Gumstix? Is this an issue people have seen before? I literally get zero response on the serial, no data. Almost as if it never get's powered. Is it possible an small, un-felt ESD could have completely killed the Gumstix?

Please help!

Re: Gumstix Dead?

seesemichaelj
This post was updated on .
So I debugged the J9 (the 40 pin header) on the Parlor. Turns out the 1.8V is not being generated because the SYSEN pin never goes high. The SYSEN signal comes from the TWL6030 power management IC. "SYSEN is brought high when the DuoVero is ready to communicate" which comes from the Gumstix documentation about the DuoVero. So it's possible that TWL6030 went bad, I'm thinking? Not sure how it went bad, ESD seems the most possible reason to me even though I never felt an ESD.

The lack of 1.8V also explains no serial communication as the FTDI chip uses the 1.8V.

Re: Gumstix Dead?

Ash Charles

Hi.

I hate it-worked-yesterday-but-now-it-magically-doesn't-work bugs!  I haven't seen this before but had a few debugging suggestions.
How much current is your parlor+duovero setup pulling and is the PMIC getting hot? More than 600mA at 5V sounds like an electrical problem.  Otherwise, I'd actually suggest that a software issue is more likely. Are you certain the microSD card is good? What is the behaviour if you try to boot with no microSD?
Ash

Re: Gumstix Dead?

seesemichaelj
Ash Charles wrote
Hi.

I hate it-worked-yesterday-but-now-it-magically-doesn't-work bugs!  I
haven't seen this before but had a few debugging suggestions.
How much current is your parlor+duovero setup pulling and is the PMIC
getting hot? More than 600mA at 5V sounds like an electrical problem.
Otherwise, I'd actually suggest that a software issue is more likely. Are
you certain the microSD card is good? What is the behaviour if you try to
boot with no microSD?
Ash
Thanks Ash for getting back to me. The worst part is I had just fixed the Parlor board from another incident and this is for a senior design project!

I have a Chateau as well, and I put a 200mA ammeter between pins 143 and 142 (took the jumper out), connected the Gumstix and powered it. My ammeter reported 0mA which is very weird/concerning. Even if something was broken, it should consume some power right? I only mentioned the 1A because there's a fuse for input power on the Parlor board that's rated at 1A.

Nothing happens with no card in it (still no output, SYSEN is still low). I'm certain both of my cards are good and neither invoke a response from the system. The PMIC has no heat radiating from it (just cold). Rechecked fuses on Parlor and DuoVero boards and all are good. Seems like the PMIC is bad, with no clear explanation why...

unless there's something wrong with my 2 70pin headers on the DuoVeo; I've checked them and they look ok from what I can tell.

Thanks again!

Re: Gumstix Dead?

ezex
hi
i have the same problem,
I wonder if you were able to find the problem, or any other method to continue the debugging.

my bet is a problem on the power supply, so I waiting for different ones.

Re: Gumstix Dead?

seesemichaelj

Never figured it out but I sent mine in for a replacement since it was under warranty.

I think it was an unfelt ESD from myself that damaged the PMIC.

Best of luck!

Mike Seese
http://mikeseese.com, W4MIQ

On Jun 25, 2013 5:41 PM, "ezex [via Gumstix]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi
i have the same problem,
I wonder if you were able to find the problem, or any other method to continue the debugging.

my bet is a problem on the power supply, so I waiting for different ones.

http://gumstix.8.x6.nabble.com/Gumstix-Dead-tp4966820p4967447.html
To unsubscribe from Gumstix Dead?, click here.