Quantcast

Getting started

mstachowsky
Hi all,

I'm trying to get started with an overo with a summit board.  My end goal is to get SPI working, and most internet resources I've looked at tell me I need to patch the kernel somehow.  My problems is, I have no idea what I even need to do and get set up before I can get started.  I'm not too familiar with linux, bitbake, openembedded etc.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I'm happy to just get a list of tutorials and get cracking, but like I said I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to crack :-P

I can boot the gumstix and navigate its file systems, and even compile code.  I can't currently connect to the internet (working on it...).  I have a Debian box lying around that will probably become my gumstix-to-computer interfacing box, but what to install on it and why I do not know.

Does anyone have any good resources?

Mike

Re: Getting started

Scott Ellis
I have some notes here for one way to go about it

http://www.jumpnowtek.com/gumstix/overo/Overo-Systems-with-Yocto.html

Once you've built a system once, you'll want to go back and make a two
line change to the kernel defconfig file to allow use of the SPI CS lines.

Then rebuild the kernel and image. It will go fast the second time.

If you used those instructions, the defconfig file is here

~/overo/meta-overo/recipes-kernel/linux-stable/linux-stable-3.5/overo/defconfig

The two changes you want are

-CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_ADS7846=m
+# CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_ADS7846 is not set

-CONFIG_PANEL_LGPHILIPS_LB035Q02=m
+# CONFIG_PANEL_LGPHILIPS_LB035Q02 is not set

Then rebuild the kernel and console image like so

bitbake -c cleansstate virtual/kernel
bitbake -c cleansstate console-image
bitbake virtual/kernel
bitbake console-image

Now you will have userland access to the stock kernel spidev
device driver which will show up as

/dev/spidev1.0
/dev/spidev1.1

You can google spidev to find out more.

There is a compiler on the Gumstix images I've described.

You can write C or C++ programs and build directly on the Gumstix
to send and receive SPI messages.

If you need help with the C code, I have examples.

HTH,
Scott

Re: Getting started

mstachowsky